VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been on SSD's for quite a long time now and the other day I started reading around on boot up speeds for SSD's. I was a tad astonished to see that some users are getting 5 to 10 second startup speeds on boot up. I dont get anywhere near that. For me, 20 to 23 seconds is normal on any pc I have. Are these super fast startup speeds due to "RAID" or am I missing something? I have followed every guide online for tweaking. AHCI to services being turned off etc. My setups are dead bare bones. No frills in startup in any way. What's the story?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you've had ssd for a long time maybe these super speeds are on the latest generation of ssd?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Crucial M4 SSD (256gb) and Windows 8. It takes about seven seconds to boot up to the splash screen, and maybe 5 seconds more before I'm at the desktop and connected to the net. (just tested it again to make sure of my times)

The M4 isn't exactly cutting edge anymore, but Windows 8 is much faster than Windows 7 on startup.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a 256 GB SSD and it boots Win 7 in about 30-45 seconds (it is somewhat variable). Linux and (I think) Win 8 have done some things to speed up boot times, but the 20-23 seconds you are seeing is pretty good.

Really, can you not live with 20-23 seconds? I get not wanting to be unnecessarily slow, but for any older version of Windows which you are presumably using, I'd say you're doing pretty well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The quick boot up speeds are done with motherboards that have windows 8 boot up options in the bios and the user having windows 8 as their main o/s,thing is that you have to have a compliant video card to use that feature.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My 256Gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD takes about thirty seconds to go from 'on' button push to desktop, but I have a add on SATA card that slows it considerably. It should be closer to about 18 - 20 seconds. I have 5 internal SATA HDDs and 3 optical drives and connections for 2 external SATA drives. The extra SATA controller boots early on, so that slows the final part of the boot proceedure down. Other add-on cards may also affect boot time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 16 seconds to boot Windows 7
    Corsair Force GS 240 GB sata3
    motherboard have sata3 connections
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few M4's and an Samsung and the M4's are faster in boot. This laptop I'm on now is slower(in terms of hardware specs) than all other's and it's 20 seconds every time. I also have a spare Adata with a slimmed down Linux on it and it's not much faster than any other in boot. i'm actually very happy with the 20 seconds I do get. I just noticed those hyper fast boot up speeds and wondered if there was some missing tweak I glazed over. I tinkered with a desktop I have and noticed something. I use a USB 3 thumb drive to divert files to when I download and everytime I use the pc I unplug the drive(has one of those always on usb things to charge via USB...won't turn off). The USB 3 drive stays hot with it plugged in. So the next time I turned it on I plugged it in, I just popped it in a standard USB 2 port....it boots up now in 13 seconds. Very strange.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I may be strange but I'm happy with My Intel 320 series SSDs boot times. I can not be bothered Tweaking just to get a few seconds faster boot time. If I wanted A Faster Boot time I'd switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Win8 really does boot faster than Win7. I run Both.

Anecdotally this Windows 8 with a regular hard drive boots almost as fast as the Win7 computers with SSDs. The only reason this doesn't have a SSD is that the warranty has not run out yet. Rather than Build one I opted for a All-In-One to use on the Internet and keep the I7 for Video Work.

TB
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. TBoneit is Win8 faster starting because it isn't really turned off and retains some data in memory. Not sure but if you unplug it from wall then start again, does it start faster than Win7? Not criticizing your statement about win8 loading faster, but just wondering.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I use a add on called "Classic Shell" That makes it work pretty Much like Windows 7. I mention that because when I shut down, Daily, My next step is flicking the switch to off on the power strip. Same effect as unplugging it. I mention the classic shell since It makes it easy to turn off the computer. It starts quick enough I don't mind turning it off.

Sometimes I click the Start button from Classic Shell and if something is running I choose Hibernate, Once the computer shuts off I flick the power strip off. When I turn it back on, The computer turns itself on and brings me back to what I was doing.

One of the first things I did was change the Bios settings so that it turns on when the Ac returns. I just turn on the Power strip, the computer powers up, The Printer Powers Up, the speakers come alive and power is available in case I turn on the NAS With its mirrored drives.

I do that to save wear and tear, No power surge will get through when the AC is disconnected either.

This is just my Internet computer, No Ball of fire. Dual core Intel, 4Gb, Intel Video etc. All-In-One to leave my I7 for Video work.

It seems to start as quick as the I7 with a SSD and 6Gb. And I read that Microsoft made changes to have it start quicker and they seem to have worked.

Cheers
    TB
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote