VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone.

I'm having trouble trying to capture some PAL SLP recorded VHS tapes. The problem is that, when the VHS age started back in the day, my country (PAL-N Region) was importing NTSC VCRs, which they were converted by electronic technicians to be able to play both NTSC and PAL. The problem about this conversions is that they weren't normally standardized. This means it's really difficult to get a VCR that can actually playback PAL SLP tapes.

When the market was consolidated, we were getting VCRs that played PAL and NTSC out of the box. But, for whatever reason, PAL SLP wasn't an option. The VCRs weren't able to play an PAL SLP tape correctly. So to capture these old tapes, I need to find an old VCR that's been modified.

I got a Panasonic PV-4601 that's playing my SLP tapes, but there is a bit of a problem. (I've made another post to see if I can solve this by software) The image is curvy or wavy, which is noticeable in the borders of the picture, and specially in straight objects, or credits rolling.

[Attachment 60390 - Click to enlarge]

I was wondering if adjusting the PG Shifter pot could correct this issue. I don't know exactly what this does, and there is not a lot of information online. I don't want to touch anything and risk been unable to revert it back to how it was. Theoretically I can read the potentiometer's resistance with a multimeter, and switch back to factory default. However I read online that you need an oscilloscope to do that, and I don't have one of those. Besides, if you guys tell me that adjusting that pot is not gonna change anything, I won't even bother. Another suggestions are welcomed. I have basic electronic knowledge and decent soldering skills.

I might add that the VCR came with a tape that was recorded in SLP mode, which plays perfectly without curves or waves. But all my other SLP tapes have that curvy look.

I don't have access to a TBC, or anything fancy like that, unfortunately. So that's out of the table.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by the98; 21st Aug 2021 at 22:01.
    Quote Quote