VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,
    I have six good quality 45 min .avi files that I'd like to burn to DVD. Normal 4.7GB DVDRs makes the video quality look terrible. Would using a dual layer 8.5GB disc keep the output looking sharpish, or will it always go bad when it converts to the MPEG2?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    6 x .75Hours = 4.5Hours (270 min. or 16200 sec.).
    DL disc = 7.95GB = 65126.4Mb. 65126.4 / 16200 = ~4.0Mbps (slightly less for the video if you intend to include audio).
    4Mbps, if that is an AVG 2pass VBR rate (max 9Mbps, min 0.5Mbps), and if the footage is cleverly noise filtered, can still be of decent quality. Use something like HCEnc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by philglew View Post
    Hi there,
    I have six good quality 45 min .avi files that I'd like to burn to DVD. Normal 4.7GB DVDRs makes the video quality look terrible.
    There is absolutely no reason why it should, as long as it is not a movie of running water or burning fire a dual layer DVD should have no problem with 6x45 minutes of video. Of course it is SD video, incomparable to HD.

But, why try to compress it all on one disk? Disks are dirt cheap, what is the problem spreading this out on at least two disks?

I take it you took great care in making sure the frame rates, aspect ratios and flags where all unchanged.

Last edited by newpball; 14th Feb 2015 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    6 x .75Hours = 4.5Hours (270 min. or 16200 sec.).
    DL disc = 7.95GB = 65126.4Mb. 65126.4 / 16200 = ~4.0Mbps (slightly less for the video if you intend to include audio).
    4Mbps, if that is an AVG 2pass VBR rate (max 9Mbps, min 0.5Mbps), and if the footage is cleverly noise filtered, can still be of decent quality. Use something like HCEnc.

Scott
    Thanks very much. That's great. I'll give it a go.

Out of interest, when professionally made DVDs are released of TV series with like 6 episodes on one disc, what format is the raw video in order for the DVD output to still look great?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Out of interest, when professionally made DVDs are released of TV series with like 6 episodes on one disc, what format is the raw video in order for the DVD output to still look great?
    It depends if the series was produced on video or on film.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Hi there,
    I have six good quality 45 min .avi files that I'd like to burn to DVD. Normal 4.7GB DVDRs makes the video quality look terrible.
    There is absolutely no reason why it should, as long as it is not a movie of running water or burning fire a dual layer DVD should have no problem whatsoever with 45 minutes of video.

Post a few seconds of the original and a few seconds of the DVD encoded video.

I take it you took great care in making sure the frame rates, aspect ratios and flags where all unchanged.

Thanks for your reply. When I burn all six to one DVDR (single layer) the quality is poor. Haven't tried DL DVDR yet. All six on one DL DVDR?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Oh I misread that, no 270 minutes of video is typically too much for single layer.

I am curious, why not put each episode on a single layer DVD?

You have a problem that can be easily solved by just throwing some more DVD disks at it.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    All six on a DL DVD should work. Putting three on a single layer DVD, then the other three on another would be slightly better, as you'd have a little more room. (4.3gb per each single layer, 7.9 for DL)

I'd try AVStoDVD and see if you like the results. You can make a menu with it so that you can select each video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks. Is there a Mac equivalent?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Is there a Mac equivalent?

Maybe dvdstyler.
    Quote Quote  
  11. you can also stretch it using 2 dual layers with 3 episodes on each disc and that should help with the quality a bit more, or as others suggested 1 or 2 eps per single layer dvd
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!