VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    You know there are a zillion LEGAL uses for dvd decrypter and dvd shrink.

Homemade dvds!!! The ones you make yourself from dvd recorders and capture cards.
    . . .
    So I wouldn't automatically assume a person using one of these programs is using it for nefarious means.
    And besides - the rules on this sit allow you to discuss backup procedures for material YOU OWN YOURSELF.
    All true. At the same time, there is plenty of "Wink, Wink -- Nod, Nod" associated with the mere presence of certain tools or guides on any of these sites. Is hypocrisy too strong a word ? I leave that call to you. (The Collective 'YOU.') I don't know Doom9 well enough to judge, but I haven't seen anything over there that merits the kind of slams being tossed around here so casually. VH happens to be the site of this type that I most like to visit, but if you're going to set up a continuum, at the other extreme I'd hate to see anything like the forcible neutering that was put onto AfterDawn. That's just plain wrong too. Information wants to be free, and you can't prevent it from being so.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Seeker47
    Is hypocrisy too strong a word ? I leave that call to you. (The Collective 'YOU.') I don't know Doom9 well enough to judge, but I haven't seen anything over there that merits the kind of slams being tossed around here so casually.
    What slams are you referring to? We are doing our collective part to ensure that the site stays out of trouble with the movie industry.

We are also not being hypocritical. We encourage people to go buy the movie. There are some things that we do not need to know. It is not necessary to know that you downloaded Batman Begins or Superman Returns to ask for help, but if you are stupid enough to admit that you downloaded said movies in a public place such as this rather than pay for it, then you deserve what you get.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote