VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was thinking maybe we can have some sort of subscription where we can add tools to our mailing list and when theire is a new version or possibly a new guide posted we would be informed via email rather than having to manually check it..

just a thought
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A nice idea, but......I'm not an admin or mod here, but they already do a tremendous amount of work just to keep this site up and running and free...Nothing against your idea, mind you cause it is a good idea..Question is if they'd want to continually keep an email list up and running and do the constant work involved in it being updated and active...Also you mentioned about some sort of subscription...This is a free site with I'd honestly have to say hundreds of thousands if not millions of visitors to it...check out actually how many people have donated to the "cause"under the donate link in the OTHER section... a little under 1700...mostly one time
    donations..https://www.videohelp.com/donate
    Considering the makeup of the site and the tremendous variety of information here, I don't think it would work out well unless one or two of the folks who are running this site devoted themselves to actually implementing a subscription/updates email service.... But thats just me..My two cents........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We already have something like this, on the front page of videohelp, gives a list of latest video tools or updated versions:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A listserv attached to the php database of tools updates.

I like the idea, although I wouldn't use it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RDS1955
    Considering the makeup of the site and the tremendous variety of information here, I don't think it would work out well unless one or two of the folks who are running this site devoted themselves to actually implementing a subscription/updates email service.... But thats just me..My two cents........
    That would be quite easy to do, there's already a similar modification avaialble for phpbb to do just that called e-mail digests. It sends a e-mail automatically to anyone who has subscibed to it on daily/weekly basis. To subscribe wuld only require a new membergroup where members could "sign-up" for the newsletter. (one of phpbb features not very visible here) You can include anything from the site you want.....

I like the idea..... here's the link for e-mail digests. http://www.dormlife.us/community/
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    email digest looks good...but can you really add anything to it? not just phpbb forum stuff?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    email digest looks good...but can you really add anything to it? not just phpbb forum stuff?
    Let me restate my last sentence, you can include anything from the phpbb forum. I never installed it on a forum yet, will be shortly though. Your a wiz I'm sure you can modify if it doesn't. From what I read it's simialr to topics anywhere or fetch-all, just in email form.

Just don't use any images from my site to test it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An RSS feed would be even better.
    "The name on the front of your shirt is more important than the name on the back"
    Kurt Russell - Miracle
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was thinking more along the lines of Softpedia/Betanews email list. Whenever the version is updated an email is sent which links to the app page. Its just a notice of the new version which IMO is fairly important and quite handy especially if you use multiple tools.

I prefer this site because i trust it with all the latest versions etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Speaking of subscriptions.. Any plans to install a vbulletin mod to allow for Instant forum notifications, like there are for threads?!

^^ Current options.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    Quote Quote