VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I have a very strange problem that I cannot find a solution to on the internet.

I recently downloaded a series called Toradora (because you cant buy it anywhere!) with a fansub. Yesterday I got a new iPod touch and wanted to transfer the series over to it. This is what started this unfortunate chain of events.

I learnt that iPod's will not view subtitles unless they are hard copied (burnt into) the actual video instead of running as a seperate file. The original format was a .mkv (Matroska) file with .ass subtitles. I needed to convert the videos into MP4 format so that they would sync to my iPod. I then decided to run the first episode through MKVextract to extract the subtitle file from the .mkv.

I then converted the .ass into a .srt with Subtitle Workshop and proceeded to mux the video and the .srt file together with XVid4PSP. At around 90% the process came to a halt in which I realised that part of the video file was missing. At this point I decided to re download the first episode again and move onto the 2nd.

When I ran episode 2 (subbed by the same people, same file type and same download location) through MKVExtract and Subtitle Workshop it said that my .ass file was a bad file. So I downloaded VobSub to investigate this problem. I loaded the .ass file and it had no text in it whatsoever.

Even though I had only looked at that episode hours before once I returned to have a look at that episode, the subtitles were missing!
    I then proceeded to search through all the episodes on the computer, every single one had missing subtitles. About 10 minutes later when the first episode had finished re-downloading I started it up and to my amazement it had no subtitles.

For some reason something on my computer was directly interfering with the subtitles as they were stored on the hard drive. Maybe there is a program which is disabling the subtitles, but then why would the extracted files contain no lines of text whatsoever?

I don't have any other movies with subtitles so I can't tell if this is isolated to this series but it has spread throughout all the series including ones I have never even clicked on before.

Thanks so much in advance guys, I'm hoping theres someone out there who has an idea of the problem. Oh, and here are some programs that are installed or have been run that might contribute to the problem.

Xvid4PSP
    MKVextract/toolnix
    Subtitle Workshop
    VobSub
    Visual Sub Sync
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can add switchable subtitles to a mp4 that should work in the ipod using Srt iPhone.

And for your other problem just WAIT until it's out on dvd with subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't look like it's coming on DVD so far. But adding subtitles isn't my problem. It's about something on my computer that is deleting the subtitles off my mkv files as i download them. But thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick

And for your other problem just WAIT until it's out on dvd with subtitles.
    Some series never come out on DVD anywhere with English subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok for some reason 2 days later Subtitle Workshop and MKVextract can actually find them. Really weird though, thanks anyways guys :P
    Quote Quote