VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello. I'm new here but not completely new to video stuff in general. During the last couple of years I've been using x265, with ffmpeg, for a variety of different video encodes. It, x265, being new but usable enough happened to coincide with the time I needed to do something about the large amount and variety of large video files filling my hard drives. Sometimes it's very straightforward, other times a little less.

A while ago I was trying to read up on the different pixel formats and found a lot of confusing stuff. For example, every single website explaining 420 subsampling makes it sound like the color were LITERALLY one quarter the of the luminance... which would look like giant colorful lego blocks with a more accurate greyscale picture laid over them. They even have diagrams suggesting something like this.
    As I understand it however, what subsampling means is only that color differences can't be expressed accurately, NOT that they can't be expressed at all! I don't understand it fully (exactly because I haven't found any explanation of how it actually does work) but hopefully that's somewhat in the right direction.

Now, I also don't know what exactly happens in the encoding process let's say from h264 to x265. Assuming the h264 source is yuv420, does x265 perform some sort of transforms that could cause even MORE color information to go missing?

I'm getting some interesting results here, encoding from indeed a h264 source file in yuv420p to x265. I'm actually getting a smaller file if I encode to yuv444p instead of keeping the original yuv420p (and yuv422p is larger than either of them for some reason).
    Quote Quote  
  2. First: yes, 4:2:0 does indeed literally mean that you only have 1/4th of the pixels for each of the 2 chroma planes. So for a common Blu-Ray (1080p) you have 3 planes:
    1920x1080 pixels of luma (Y)
    960x540 pixels of chroma (U)
    960x540 pixels of chroma (V)

Both H.264/AVC as well as H.265/HEVC can use the same 4:2:0 YUV color space (among other color spaces). So there is no conversion happening there BUT since H.265/HEVC itself is a lossy codec* you do of course have some loss. Every time you encode with a lossy codec you suffer additional loss.

Originally Posted by non-vol View Post
    I'm actually getting a smaller file if I encode to yuv444p instead of keeping the original yuv420p (and yuv422p is larger than either of them for some reason).
    Don't try to compare different color spaces' resulting file sizes. Identical CRF does not guarantee identical visual quality across different spaces or settings.

(*) I'm ignoring the lossless modes of H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC here as they are impractical for the average user.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    First: yes, 4:2:0 does indeed literally mean that you only have 1/4th of the pixels for each of the 2 chroma planes. So for a common Blu-Ray (1080p) you have 3 planes:
    Are you absolutely sure? As a literally literal example, an image (420) could not then have e.g. a blue line next to a red line (depending on where the block of pixels is located). At all. The entire 4x2 block of pixels would HAVE to be either red or blue, anything else would be impossible. That's how it's explained everywhere.
    That's what I don't get. If it was like that, it would be very clearly visible, no?
    Analog tv used to have horrible color bleeding sort of like that, but I've NEVER seen anything like that in any digital video.
    Is there something I'm missing here?

Both H.264/AVC as well as H.265/HEVC can use the same 4:2:0 YUV color space (among other color spaces). So there is no conversion happening there BUT since H.265/HEVC itself is a lossy codec* you do of course have some loss. Every time you encode with a lossy codec you suffer additional loss.
    Yes, sure. But what about loss of color information specifically? For the lack of a better way to put it, I was indeed wondering whether or not the color subsampling would happen TWICE. Or, something to that effect, or something that could be mitigated by using a more accurate colorspace.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Just a quick addition to the subsampling thing: Sites like Wikipedia suggest in particular that (in 4:2:0) the large chroma blocks would be (exactly) the SAME color. I thought, and have seen, it's more like gradients, there's interpolation and "anti-aliasing" involved in what is output on the screen after conversion from yuv to the screen format, instead of large blocks of the SAME color.
    Other sites do try to explain how the colors of pixels are somehow derived from those of neighboring pixels, but do not explain how that is done.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by non-vol View Post
    First: yes, 4:2:0 does indeed literally mean that you only have 1/4th of the pixels for each of the 2 chroma planes. So for a common Blu-Ray (1080p) you have 3 planes:
    Are you absolutely sure? As a literally literal example, an image (420) could not then have e.g. a blue line next to a red line (depending on where the block of pixels is located). At all. The entire 4x2 block of pixels would HAVE to be either red or blue, anything else would be impossible. That's how it's explained everywhere.
    That's what I don't get. If it was like that, it would be very clearly visible, no?
    Analog tv used to have horrible color bleeding sort of like that, but I've NEVER seen anything like that in any digital video.
    Is there something I'm missing here?
    Yes its correct

It depends on the chroma upsampling algorithm, and what method is used for the conversion to RGB for display. Think of it as resizing U, V back to 1920x1080

If you use nearest neighbor, then yes, you would expect red or blue . Any other common method will result in bleeding or some intermediate color depending on what the surrounding pixel values are. You're sampling more than one pixel with commonly used ones like bicubic (16 pixels, 4x4) or bilinear (4 pixels, 2x2)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicubic_interpolation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilinear_interpolation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest-neighbor_interpolation

There are dozens of others, each with different settings, pros/cons

Yes, sure. But what about loss of color information specifically? For the lack of a better way to put it, I was indeed wondering whether or not the color subsampling would happen TWICE. Or, something to that effect, or something that could be mitigated by using a more accurate colorspace.

If you started with 4:2:0 , there is no farther degradation, except for lossy compression . Unless some other step is used in the pipeline . For example, you upsample to 4:4:4 or have an intermediate RGB step. Then it depends on what algorithm is used, what bit depth. Nearest neighbor can duplicate and drop the same pixels duplicated. So that is a lossless transformation. Others are not lossless
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do not forget , that those missing color info still offers luma. So our brain fills in anyway, whatever color is next. Brain makes our images anyway and is susceptible to all kinds of tricks as you can find on web and youtube. Mostly adds on what it thinks it should be there.

If you artificially generate an image with blue and red line next to each other only, sure will be mess. Because there is no explanation for brain what it is, and it does not have story for a brain, like sky changing into red car roof etc. Brain knows the border is exact and it is not looking for aliasing or uncertainty. It knows it is clear. Even if 420 cannot make it clear. You'd notice maybe bleeding over 2-3 pixels, but not one.

About tahe SAME color, working in Vapoursynth for example, by choosing correct command line, you can influence that color. For example having 420 image loaded into Vapoursynth and changing it to 422. If not carefull and using Spline36 or other resizers , colors might bet changed. If using point resize, even after upsampling them to 422, they will be the same, pairs would just have same color value, sure 4xbigger value, but under microscope you's see the same image. Well converted to RGB 8bit, both, because you cannot study YUV on screen, just real YUV values, but behing RGB 8 bit conversion.

clip = vs.core.ffms2.Source(r'C:\file.mp4') #YUV420P8
    clip = vs.core.resize.Point(clip, format = vs.YUV422P10)
    #not the same as:
    #clip = vs.core.resize.Spline36(clip, format = vs.YUV422P10)
    Quote Quote  
  7. to add what pdr says, all those RGB conversions to get visual, where those png's below came from, were changed using Point resize,
    and starting clip is always YUV420P8

so top rgb image, just one rgb conversion from original YUV420P8:
    rgb = core.resize.Point(clip, matrix_in_s = '709', format = vs.RGB24)

bottom rgb image:
    clip = core.resize.Spline36(clip, format=vs.YUV422P10)

these things can get realy tricky, because any presentation might involve two color changes, first YUV to YUV and second (ussually behind scenes) that YUV to RGB

ALL images are zoomed-in to get visual blocks, yet again point resize on the top! , one block means just one pixel in reality. Real resolution for posted images is 42x16pixels.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	YUV420P8 original.png
Views:	96
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	50715  

Click image for larger version

Name:	resized to YUV422P10 by Spline36 resize.png
Views:	96
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	50716  

Last edited by _Al_; 1st Nov 2019 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
  8. resize with Point gets the same colors:
    clip = core.resize.Point(clip, format=vs.YUV422P10)

Name:	resized to YUV422P10 by Point resize.png
Views:	87
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	50717  

Last edited by _Al_; 1st Nov 2019 at 14:51.
    Quote Quote  
  9. if I decided for preview to use:
    rgb = vs.core.resize.Bicubic(clip, matrix_in_s = '709', format = vs.RGB24)
    Quote Quote  
  10. To get RGB for preview using Bicubic instead of Point and again starting clip is YUV420P8

so top rgb image:
    rgb = core.resize.Bicubic(clip, matrix_in_s = '709', format = vs.RGB24)

bottom rgb image:
    clip = core.resize.Point(clip, format=vs.YUV422P10)
    (yes that is not a mistake, Bicubic actually fixes that bottom line)

Name:	viewing original YUV420 as RGB using Bicubic .png
Views:	88
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	50720  

Name:	viewing 422P10 resized as Point as RGB using Bicubic .png
Views:	68
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	50721  

Last edited by _Al_; 1st Nov 2019 at 15:05.
    Quote Quote  
  11. again, original clip is YUV420P8

so this is the reason to get feedback what actually IS in those YUV values using software players that convert to RGB behind scenes is very difficult, and I did not go into matrix at all, just using BT709 thru. But players can default to BT601 matrix for some reason and colors would be yet again different.

Name:	viewing 422P10 resized as Spline36 as RGB using Bicubic .png
Views:	123
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	50722  

Last edited by _Al_; 1st Nov 2019 at 15:06.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some chroma subsampling examples I posted long ago:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/294144-Viewing-tests-and-sample-files#post1792760
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319360-DVD-LAB-PRO-color-map#post1977264

Going from x264 4:2:0 to uncompressed YUV 4:2:0 to x265 4:2:0 shouldn't cause additional blurring from chroma subsampling (maybe from the compression if you compress too much). But be aware that some programs will convert to RGB 4:4:4 in the middle -- that may cause additional blurring.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Nov 2019 at 16:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    to add what pdr says, all those RGB conversions to get visual, where those png's below came from, were changed using Point resize,
    and starting clip is always YUV420P8

so top rgb image, just one rgb conversion from original YUV420P8:

bottom rgb image:

these things can get realy tricky, because any presentation might involve two color changes, first YUV to YUV and second (ussually behind scenes) that YUV to RGB

ALL images are zoomed-in to get visual blocks, yet again point resize on the top! , one block means just one pixel in reality. Real resolution for posted images is 42x16pixels.
    Thanks for the replies! Just quickly before I lose my train of thought --- any of those pictures show kind of what I thought was going on. There are different shades of red and blue. And most importantly the purple inbetween. There wouldn't be any purple if the chroma "resolution" worked like it's VERY often explained. That's what I was trying to say... something like that anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Going from x264 4:2:0 to uncompressed YUV 4:2:0 to x265 4:2:0 shouldn't cause additional blurring from chroma subsampling (maybe from the compression if you compress too much). But be aware that some programs will convert to RGB 4:4:4 in the middle -- that may cause additional blurring.
    I guess the very short version of the question is: can ffmpeg/x265 cause that? The colorspace by itself is, I suppose, largely irrelevant but I have no possible way of knowing what happens internally in the encoder.
    (I've also been reminded that x265 is lossy... which I know it is. But it has been suggested the loss would not apply to color. How so?)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by non-vol View Post
    I guess the very short version of the question is: can ffmpeg/x265 cause that?
    Not if you use it properly - if there are no other intermediate steps or conversions or filters affecting the chroma

The colorspace by itself is, I suppose, largely irrelevant but I have no possible way of knowing what happens internally in the encoder.
    (I've also been reminded that x265 is lossy... which I know it is. But it has been suggested the loss would not apply to color. How so?)
    x265 can encode using lossless compression too. In ffmpeg libx265 you 'd use -x265-params lossless=1 . If the source was lossy, then expect filesizes to be much larger - because the "lossless" compression is with respect to the decoded, uncompressed state of the source

4:2:0 => 4:2:0 is not a lossy transformation . Nothing is done . That step is a no-op. But if you start with 4:2:0 then go to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, or RGB, then the chroma planes are resampled (resized). Then depending on how you do it, and go back to 4:2:0, that can be lossy
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by non-vol View Post
    any of those pictures show kind of what I thought was going on. There are different shades of red and blue. And most importantly the purple inbetween.
    Chroma subsampling is only the cause of the purple blur between the patches. The different shades of red and blue in the large patches si caused by the precision of the RGB to YUV to RGB conversion (chroma subsampled or not). 8 bit, limited range YUV has only about 1/6 the number of unique colors as 8 bit full range RGB. So 5 out of every 6 RGB colors will come back wrong after a RGB to YUV to RGB conversion. 10 bit YUV has enough unique colors for every 8 bit RGB color. So it's possible for 8 bit RGB to be converted to 10 bit YUV then back to 8 bit RGB losslessly.

There wouldn't be any purple if the chroma "resolution" worked like it's VERY often explained. That's what I was trying to say... something like that anyway.
    It works exactly as was explained. Whether there's any blurring or not depends on the method used to downscale and upscale the chroma -- as was explained by poisondeathray. Point (aka nearest neighbor) resizing avoids the blur but leads to aliasing artifacts. "Smooth" resizing, like blinear, bicubic, etc. lead to blurring at the transitions. The latter looks better with "real" video (as opposed to rectilinear test patterns).
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Nov 2019 at 22:02.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    There wouldn't be any purple if the chroma "resolution" worked like it's VERY often explained. That's what I was trying to say... something like that anyway.
    It works exactly as was explained. Whether there's any blurring or not depends on the method used to downscale and upscale the chroma -- as was explained by poisondeathray. Point (aka nearest neighbor) resizing avoids the blur but leads to aliasing artifacts. "Smooth" resizing, like blinear, bicubic, etc. lead to blurring at the transitions. The latter looks better with "real" video (as opposed to rectilinear test patterns).
    We're talking about basically the same thing. I didn't say explained HERE (quite the opposite in fact). Tons of other websites on the other hand only explain the part where you throw away 75% of the color information, with absolutely no mention of bicubic or other methods of upsampling that are probably the principal reason why it actually WORKS as well as it does. Do you disagree?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by non-vol View Post
    There are different shades of red and blue. And most importantly the purple inbetween. There wouldn't be any purple if the chroma "resolution" worked like it's VERY often explained. That's what I was trying to say... something like that anyway.
    Because original YUV444P10 was image below that I used for getting that YUV420P8 'original'. If that image was clean cut, red color going into blue cleanly, it would be a bit different story.

That original YUV444P10 that was used to make YUV420P8 using Point resize:

Name:	YUV444P10.png
Views:	57
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	50729  

Last edited by _Al_; 1st Nov 2019 at 23:25.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Using included Vapoursynth script, I drew perfect blue rectangle in red in YUV420P8. YUV values are clean cut, but if changing to RGB24 (8bit) I got different results, depending on resize kernel/method. That is the equivalent of simply previewing YUV 420 8bit video using some player. So I can get very different results using these computer generated images. Depending how that YUV is resized or even what matrix is used. So even if I got YUV values always the same underneath those RGB pixels, looking at it could be a mirage, not real, YUV values are hidden underneath.

Code:
    import vapoursynth as vs
    from vapoursynth import core
    import havsfunc   
    red = core.std.BlankClip(width=38, height=20, format = vs.YUV420P8, color =(51,109,212), length = 10)
    blue = core.std.BlankClip(width=22, height=10, format = vs.YUV420P8, color =(28,212,120), length = 10)

#blue rectangle placement
    X1,Y1 = (9,4)                       

#making blue in red
    clip = havsfunc.Overlay(red,blue,X1,Y1)
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip, prop="_Matrix", intval=1) #flagging video internally in vapoursynth as BT.709

#zoom-in , increase pixels 16 times to blocks
    def zoom(clip, kernel_string):
        return core.resize.Point(clip, clip.width * 16, clip.height * 16).text.Text(kernel_string)

clips = []
    kernels = ['Point', 'Bicubic', 'Bilinear']  #'Spline16', 'Spline36', 'Lanczos'
    for kernel_string in kernels:
        _resize = getattr(core.resize, kernel_string)
        clips.append(zoom(_resize(clip, format = vs.RGB24), kernel_string))
    clip = core.std.StackVertical(clips)
    clip.set_output()

Name:	Chroma Resize YUV420P8 to RGB 24 using Point Bicubic Bilinear.png
Views:	249
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	50731  

Name:	Chroma Resize YUV420P8 to RGB 24 using Spline16 Spline36 Lanczos.png
Views:	260
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	50732  

Last edited by _Al_; 2nd Nov 2019 at 03:14.
    Quote Quote  
  20. notice, if I offset placement of that blue rectangle to X1,Y1 = (8,3) instead of X1,Y1 = (9,4) , to throw off subsampling a bit, Point resize is not exact anymore:

Name:	Chroma Resize YUV420P8 to RGB 24 using Point Bicubic Bilinear odd.png
Views:	345
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	50733  

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    _Al_ , thanks, those pictures are more than informative. Just to clear any confusion everyone, I never said YUVxxx was better than it is. In my very first post, I said I thought chroma subsampling means colors can NOT be accurately expressed. Which it does mean, and which is why I don't like it.

These kinds of fundamentals, while great, should preferably be in a different post. I'm actually still much more interested in how the end result would be affected after doing these conversions multiple times, which could easily happen.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by non-vol View Post
    _Al_ , thanks, those pictures are more than informative. Just to clear any confusion everyone, I never said YUVxxx was better than it is. In my very first post, I said I thought chroma subsampling means colors can NOT be accurately expressed. Which it does mean, and which is why I don't like it.
    The reason chroma subsampling was invented was because the human eye has less resolution for color than it does for greyscale. Storing and transmitting color at a lower resolution saves memory and bandwidth. Sure, when you look at extreme enlargements the loss of color resolution is obvious. But when watching normal video at normal viewing distances it's usually not. All commercial distribution formats use chroma subsampling. Try playing YUV 4:4:4 video on DVD or Blu-ray -- you can't. Skipping YUV entirely would be great too. The light sensors on cameras are RGB. The sub-pixels you see on the TV/monitor are RGB. Most of what's in between is YUV. Video is all about compromises.

These kinds of fundamentals, while great, should preferably be in a different post. I'm actually still much more interested in how the end result would be affected after doing these conversions multiple times, which could easily happen.
    Each time the chroma is downsampled and upsampled you get more blurring and/or artifacts. That is why you try to avoid multiple conversions.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Nov 2019 at 07:45.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    The reason chroma subsampling was invented was because the human eye has less resolution for color than it does for greyscale. Storing and transmitting color at a lower resolution saves memory and bandwidth
    Yeah. I've read a little bit about that, the history of color television etc. where these things originate. It's fascinating although not easy to understand and apparently not easy to explain either.
    What I was referring to earlier, color subsampling is most often explained in a way that easily leaves you thinking THIS is what would happen: (picture borrowed from the other old thread mentioned earlier)

[Attachment 50737 - Click to enlarge]

from original https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1885214/original.png

...which is obviously NOT how it actually works, at any stage of the literal subsampling and later upsampling with interpolation, the whole process. Like said in sneaker's reply, there are two chroma planes, so it's actually not even correct to say that the "color" is only at quarter resolution (in the case of yuv420).

...So that's why it can be confusing.
    Last edited by non-vol; 2nd Nov 2019 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Each time the chroma is downsampled and upsampled you get more blurring and/or artifacts. That is why you try to avoid multiple conversions.
    Hmm... downsampling I get, but why would upsampling be a problem? Let's say yuv420p to yuv444p10 if we need to be specific. What kind of "blurring" would occur?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Don't try to compare different color spaces' resulting file sizes. Identical CRF does not guarantee identical visual quality across different spaces or settings.
    Why not? In particular, are you suggesting one or the other would be significantly worse?

I'm asking because I've read (including from codec developers) that both going from 420 to 444 and 8 bit to 10 bit are likely to "improve compression efficiency" more than anything else.

(this is x264 and/or x265)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Luma is just brightness, back then using B&W CRT , only Y was used to emit on screen. U and V are differences.

But even upsampling would change color.
    But if you choose Point resize, U and V planes just multiply their arrays and if bit depth changes, from 8bit to 10, value is 4x increased. But they are the same on visual.
    Code:
    clip_YUV420P8  = clip
    clip_YUV444P10 = core.resize.Point(clip_YUV420P8, format = vs.YUV444P10)
    clipout_YUV420P8  = core.resize.Point(clip_YUV444P10, format = vs.YUV420P8)
    If you use Bicubic for all changes , upsampling and further downsampling changes colors more, widen differences.
    Code:
    clip_YUV420P8  = clip
    clip_YUV444P10 = core.resize.Bicubic(clip_YUV420P8, format = vs.YUV444P10)
    clipout_YUV420P8  = core.resize.Bicubic(clip_YUV444P10, format = vs.YUV420P8)
    from that perfect blue rectangle in red you'd get:
    Last edited by _Al_; 2nd Nov 2019 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  27. upsampling using Bicubic and downsampling again using Bicubic:

Name:	upsampling.png
Views:	57
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	50741  

Name:	and downsampling.png
Views:	227
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	50742  

Quote Quote  
  28. the whole script is here, so if having Vapoursynth you can explore it further:
    Code:
    import vapoursynth as vs
    from vapoursynth import core
    import havsfunc   

red = core.std.BlankClip(width=38, height=20, format = vs.YUV420P8, color =(51,109,212), length = 10)
    blue = core.std.BlankClip(width=22, height=10, format = vs.YUV420P8, color =(28,212,120), length = 10)

#blue rectangle placement, X must be odd and Y even number, otherwise you construct within subsampling - not a clean cut between colors
    X1,Y1 = (9,4)                       

#making blue in red
    clip = havsfunc.Overlay(red,blue,X1,Y1)

#flagging clip internally in Vapoursynth as BT.709, if there is any conversion to RGB later
    #yes there is!, on screen later while previewing clips
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip, prop="_Matrix", intval=1) 

clip_YUV420P8  = clip
    clip_YUV444P10 = core.resize.Bilinear(clip_YUV420P8, format = vs.YUV444P10)
    clipout_YUV420P8  = core.resize.Bilinear(clip_YUV444P10, format = vs.YUV420P8)

#note it can get even trickier if your vsedit or other RGB preview setup for this script
    #uses Bicubic to RGB transfer etc, use Point
    #clip_YUV420P8.set_output()
    #clip_YUV444P10.set_output()
    clipout_YUV420P8.set_output()
    Last edited by _Al_; 2nd Nov 2019 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    But that is only because of the choice to use a bicubic interpolation, right? Meaning changing the colorspace alone (in this case) would not in itself cause any change at all. Correct?

10 bit vs 8 bit is something I admit I don't really understand at all, what comes to "compression efficiency". The 420 vs 444 case was explained as the encoder simply having much better methods for discarding "unneeded" information compared to chroma subsampling (which is the simplest and stupidest compression method). That does make sense. Whatever the encoder (x265) does, it seems to even be SO good at it that I can encode a yuv420p8 source to yuv444p10, x265 crf 20, and it will still be smaller than the source AND smaller than doing the exact same encode without changing the colorspace.

So one thing I'm trying to figure out is: Is there actually a reason I should NOT upsample here? For these files I have kept the original resolution and applied no filters of any kind. I've also disabled SAO and x265's deblock filter -- I'm not sure whether or not I'd need to "deblock" a h264 source (...as I assume it has already been deblocked when it was encoded to h264, not sure if that's how I should think though?).

(re-encoding these particular files, tv series episodes, is almost an academic exercise as they are lowish res and quite small to begin with... 576p @1200k . I completely understand why you'd say "it's not really worth the bother". However it's astounding how well x265 actually works, and I am able to crunch them even smaller, to around 800k, without noticeable degradation in quality.
    It's "almost an academic exercise" on purpose, BTW.)
    Quote Quote  
  30. But that is only because of the choice to use a bicubic interpolation, right? Meaning changing the colorspace alone (in this case) would not in itself cause any change at all. Correct?
    Changing subsampling alone, means to resize chroma for sure. To do it physically to a plane, there is no difference doing it between Y or U or V, resize is resize.
    So there is a change. Bicubic interpolates using certain alghorithms, like Bilinear, like Lanczos etc. But not Point resize.

Imagine 4x4 pixel clip YUV420P8, you'd get planes with data like this (valid values for 8bit are 0-255):
    Y plane:

U plane:

V plane:

resized to 4x4 YUV444P10 clip, using Point, you'd get this suddenly (valid values for 10bit are 0-1023):
    Y plane:

U plane:

V plane:

so you definitely resize two planes even if not apparent on screen
    Last edited by _Al_; 2nd Nov 2019 at 13:33.
    Quote Quote