VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am living in the USA and recently purchased a 60" Panasonic Plasma (Model TC60PS34). I plan to take this TV with me to Australia eventually, where all the input signals (via HDMI) will be PAL based. I understand that it is not really a PAL vs NTSC issue, but rather a frame rate issue, where the USA signals are 29.97fps/59.94fps and in Australia they are 25fps/50fps.

I recently tested the new TV using video from my HD Camcorder (urchased in Australia) over HDMI. The audio worked fine, but the TV gave me a message saying the video was not supported. I also tried it over component with the same result.

Before I make decision to take the TV with me to Australia, I would like any guidance anyone can give on compatability and conversion.

Are there DVB Set top boxes that will output in both framerates?
    Is it likely the the HD feed from the local PAYTV operator Foxtel will be output from its DVR/Set top box can be set to the NTSC frame-rate?
    Does anyone have anyy experience with HDMI converters such as:
    http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-AT-HD560-HDMI-Converter-1080p/dp/B0011MOVN8
    or those found at:
    http://www.world-import.com/samar.htm

Reviews for the Atlona unit seem positive, with most claiming that there is no noticeable degradation in HD image quality.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please be assured I have undergone my own exhaustive internet research on these matters. I am hoping someone with greater expertise and or experience can help.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by hilite; 24th Aug 2011 at 17:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was that camcorder outputting 50Hz? If so, that Panasonic model has 50Hz blocked.

I'd get rid of it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, the camcorder was purchased in Australia, and the instruction manual specifies that it requires a "PAL TV" to work, which I assume means 50Hz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hilite View Post
    Yes, the camcorder was purchased in Australia, and the instruction manual specifies that it requires a "PAL TV" to work, which I assume means 50Hz.
    In the USA, name brands like Sony, Panasonic and Samsung block PAL reception mainly to discourage export to PAL markets since USA doesn't yet have the VAT tax. That makes USA TV sets look cheap to PAL landers.

Models made in China or Taiwan (including Vizio) are often dual standard (you need to test). They make more money making one model for the world than they lose from re-export.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    edDV is correct, but some Sony models have been reported to work fine with PAL video even though it's not officially supported. Nobody living in NTSC land has reported even one Samsung model sold in North America that is capable of playing PAL video. I've got a Samsung LCD HDTV that does 1080p native. I love the TV, but I've tested it and there is no PAL support - period. The Atlona device seems like a good bet.

Anyway, I think it was foolish of you to buy an HDTV here and plan to move it to PAL land with you, but what's done is done. You're going to find few if any of us with experience with the devices you listed. The reason is that those in PAL land with HDTVs already have models that support NTSC. Those of us in NTSC land that have TVs that don't do PAL have converting DVD and BluRay players so we don't need PAL<->NTSC conversion devices.

The odds of any Australian TV provider being able to give you an NTSC signal are probably zero, but as I have never been there I can only speculate that it's incredibly unlikely rather than providing rock solid evidence. We've got some forum regulars who live in Australia so perhaps one of them will see this thread and respond.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No issues with broadcasters here unless you have one of the dodgy american sets down under which don't support pal.

We even get live streams from american sources where no conversion is done ... those are easy to spot.
    Quote Quote