VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I burn my DV files to DVD I capture them as avi’s in Pinnacle Studio 8, convert them to mpeg2’s in TMPGenc, and burn them in Ulead Movie Factory. The discs play perfectly in all standalones I’ve tried them on, except my Kendo player, where both picture and sound stutter throughout. However, when I burn discs with DVD X Copy Express, the Kendo player plays them without problems. Is there any other way I should try to convert/burn my DV files to get them to play on my standalone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is redundant to use TMPGenc to convert to MPEG-2 and then burn using Ulead.

Why not just bring the DV-AVI's into Ulead to begin with and let it convert them?

I am in the same set up as you. I capture video using Pinnacle Studio 8 with the AVDV card. I edit the video in either studio 8 or Adobe premiere or after effects. Then I render them to DV-AVI 720x480. I then bring those DV-AVI files into Ulead DVD Workshop and make my DVD. The Ulead program will convert them for you.

I also think it does not matter if they are already MPEG-2, I think Ulead will re-encode them anyway. I know Pinnacle's Studio 8 does.

As far as why they won't play in that stand alone...what media are you using? I use RitekG04 and they play in everything, including PS2 which as far as my experience is the most fickle DVD player ever.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by northcat_8
    ... re-encode them anyway. I know Pinnacle's Studio 8 does.
    Not realy true. It can be done.

Try read this https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133706
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by northcat_8
    It is redundant to use TMPGenc to convert to MPEG-2 and then burn using Ulead.

Why not just bring the DV-AVI's into Ulead to begin with and let it convert them?
    TmpGenc will allow you to achieve higher quality results. Ulead DVD Workshop will not re-encode DVD compliant mpeg-2 files if you set the appropriate options.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't sure if Ulead re-encoded them or not...

What I was saying is that I don't notice any quality difference between TMPGenc and Ulead's renderings of DV video. Therefore, to me that seems redundant or rather unnecessary.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Let me clarify...

Originally Posted by northcat_8
    ... re-encode them anyway. I know Pinnacle's Studio 8 does.
    Not realy true about Pinnacle Studio version 8. It can be done.

Try read this https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133706
    Quote Quote  
  7. My experience is that Ulead can be a bit naff at encoding. DVD Movie Factory 2 is a lot better at converting as they have now included most of the codes. I had many problems with Ulead which is why I started encoding in TMPGEnc, making seperate Mv2 and MP2 files, dragging that into Ulead. This usually gives me a much better success rate. I have also found that using slower discs help. I don't think the DVD writing plugin's that come with the encoders are all that good, especially at high speeds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    donpedro -
    How can it be done? I'm seriously asking because I don't know, mine always re-renders...ALWAYS. I always re-renders everything unless I capture and do everything else in S8. Then it will just render the transitions.

Musotechy -
    I never burn with Ulead, I always write an image file...I wonder if that has anything to do with the quality, because speed is not a factor? I write my image files to a stripe 0 RAID array running 2-80 GB Maxtor 7200's. I also use Movie Factory 2 along with DVD workshop, depending on what I'm doing. I'll have to check TMPGenc back out and see if I can get better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. For me, it wasn't so much the quality, it was more to do with reliability. I found that I had a higher success rate if I encoded the files with TMPGEnc and then used Ulead. TMPEnc seems to be better at making the files compliant.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    moviefactory and workshop are ok for encoding aslong as your source is around 1 hour or less anymore and the bitrate is lowered to allow more time per disc but the problem is it encodes at constant bitrate, giving poor results.
    tsunami will allow variable bitrate so you don't lose any noticable quality.
    as for the tsunami encoded video not playing on standalone but dvdxcopy will - have you checked to see your min and max bitrate that was set in tsunami(this can effect playback on many standalone including my first(phillipsdv955))
    Quote Quote