VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi,
    I have just burned a 27 min vid..... onto dvd

I think I made the vid using photostage .....

I used dvd flick to burn it to disc

everything went well with my new desktop comp but at one stage the tray opens and then should close
    automatically , but in the desktop comp Ive got the tray is vertical and ... like so many laptops they need
    to be manually closed.

luckily I was there to manually close the tray and the comp continued to burn and verify and it was a success.

there was a disappointment however... I took the dvd to a dvd player..... it played great on my 36 " lcd screen but
    there is a 2 " black border above and below the movie and a 4 " black border on each side of the movie

Ideally I would like the movie to fill the screen

could I have made some mistake when I got photo stage to make the movie ? and ended up with a
    760 by something instead of 1050 by something ?

have a took a wrong option somewhere

thanks for any help or comment
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
    and ended up with a
    760 by something instead of 1050 by something ?
    You haven't really provided a whole lot of relevant information (and some seriously irrelevant information), but to begin with your PAL DVD is probably 720x576. When asking a question it helps to get the facts straight. It can't be '1050 by something' as all DVDs are standard-def and not high-def.

...but there is a 2 " black border above and below the movie...
    What's the screen resolution? If it's a 16:10 monitor that's to be expected.
    ...and a 4 " black border on each side of the movie...
    If you encoded it as 4:3, that's to be expected also.

Ideally I would like the movie to fill the screen
    If your computer monitor is 16:10, that will never happen. Have you played the DVD on a television through a standard DVD player?

Can you cut a short 10 second sample from the DVD and upload it here? Guessing what might have happened doesn't help much.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes, Ive put the dvd disc into two seperate dvd players and get the same result

very big black margins around the movie

looks like my mistake was prob in photostage where you have options.... a dvd disc... a data disc etc
    maybe some dimension options too

post a short sample of the movie ? easier said than done, what do you suggest....
    getting the movie into v dub ?

Im on a brand new comp right now so theres virtually nothing here ... just downloaded dvd flick and made the disc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Go back to the beginning with your slideshow, and create the dimensions that will properly work for your images (or for the composition of most of your images).

Assuming you have a standard 16:9 HDTV screen,
    Example:

DVD 4:3 playback (with pillarboxing on sides)
    NTSC regions = 720x480 using 8/9 or 10/11 Pixel Aspect Ratio (equivalent square pixel image used in composition = 640x480 or 720x540).
    PAL regions = 720x576 using 59/54 or 12/11 PAR (equivalent square pixel image = 768x576).

DVD 16:9 playback (full screen playback)
    NTSC = 720x480 using 40:33 PAR (equiv Square = 853x480). Use 29.97 or Telecine to 23.976 framerate.
    PAL = 720x576 using 118/81 or 16/11 PAR (equiv Square = 1024x576). Use 25 framerate.

Blu-ray 16:9 playback (full screen)
    NTSC or PAL = 1920x1080 or 1280x720 using Square pixels (create & render composition at exactly those dimensions).
    Use 1920x1080 for lower framerate (23.976, 24, 25, 29.97), or 1280x720 for higher framerate (50, 59.94).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. You authored it incorrectly. If you put 4:3 material into a 16:9 project, you will get exactly what you describe: black borders all around.

Your DVD authoring program should have a selection between 4:3 and 16:9. You usually make this decision at the very beginning of the process of creating the DVD. However, you should be able to go back and change it, burn another DVD, and all should be well.

BTW, in order to avoid creating lots of "coasters" (i.e., discs that are only useful to protect your tables from cold, sweaty drinks), I have a few DVD re-writeables (DVD+RW or DVD-RW) that I use to create my initial disc. I often find problems of one sort or another. Once I've fixed the problem, I write to a standard DVD blank.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, since you've played it in a DVD player to your 16:9 television with the same results, then it really is most likely a setting or two you got wrong in your program.

Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
    post a short sample of the movie ? easier said than done, what do you suggest....
    getting the movie into v dub ?
    Easier done than to describe it. Open a VOB from your completed project in MPEG2Cut2. Use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a very small section. As I mentioned, we don't need much to know what you did or did not do. Then save out the section you isolated and upload it here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. many thanks for all that info.....

by authoring.... could that mean the set up on dvd flick ?

in the Project Settings there is

general
    video
    audio
    playback
    burning

Ive looked thru them and cant see any setting for 16 x9 or anything.

when I see the disc play in my dvd player it is a rectangular shape like 16x 9
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've never heard of Photostage and I doubt if many, if any, use it here. The 4:3 or 16:9 would be set either in the video properties or, perhaps in the encoder itself.

It does seem as if you made yourself a 4:3 DVD where you wanted to make a 16:9 one. That can't be proven conclusively, though, unless and until you provide a short sample. You could figure it out, though, by opening a VOB in MediaInfo and checking yourself or posting a text file readout of what it says there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. General
    Complete name : G:\MEMPHIS 2016 27 MINS SLIDE SHOW SSSS.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 367 MiB
    Duration : 34 min 48 s
    Overall bit rate : 1 473 kb/s

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : H264
    Bit rate : 1 328 kb/s
    Width : 1 024 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.090
    Stream size : 331 MiB (90%)
    Writing library : x264 core 142 r2455 021c0dc
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=2 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=4 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=12500 / vbv_bufsize=12500 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Mode : Joint stereo
    Mode extension : MS Stereo
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Source duration : 34 min 48 s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 31.9 MiB (9%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 26 ms (0.65 video frame)
    Writing library : LAME3.97
    Quote Quote  
  10. Is dvdflcik completely free?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
    General
    Complete name : G:\MEMPHIS 2016 27 MINS SLIDE SHOW SSSS.avi
    Format : AVI
    You said you made a DVD of your slideshow. At least I think you did. That's not the information from a DVD. Also, post a sample from the DVD. I already gave you instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  12. the slide show came out as an avi movie ... I made the DVD disc from that

Im thinking that the trick is selecting the right formats when you have got your slide show
    together and you are about to .... make .... the video with the photostage software.

think Ill do a few experiments ... make a quick slide show ...
    then burn it onto a re writer disc and by trial and error I might end up with
    a dvd disc that when played in my dvd player will fill up the TV screen !

yes dvd flick is free it always seems to work well
    Quote Quote  
  13. It sounds like you made a 16:9 avi video in photostage then authored it as a 3:4 DVD in DVDFlick. Why are you using both? Doesn't Photostage allow you to burn directly? Alternately ,you should be able to change the settings in DVDFlick to output a 16:9 disk.
    Quote Quote  
  14. THANKS... interesting point... maybe I could burn the disc from photostage ....

but no, using dvd flick theres no choice
    of 3 4 or 16 9 or nothing that I can see anyway

but watching the vid on tv via the dvd player ... it looks like 16 by 9 but it just has these
    massive black margins all around when it should be filling the tv screen
    Quote Quote  
  15. I had played the dvd is my Lite DVD player which will copy dvds onto its hard drive and you
    can then burn more dvds from that

Its playing the disc in there that I had such big margins on my 36 LCD tv... 2" top and bottom and 4 " each side

Yesterday I put the disc in my sony dvd recorder and was surprised to see the slide show movie filling the TV screen

a little margin at each side but that is nothing no margin atall top and bottom.,,,, nice to get the full effect of the movie

on the big screen !
    Quote Quote  
  16. Some players will stretch the video, as will some TV sets. However, because of the way your authored it, you will have far fewer pixels on each frame of your DVD, and your video will look much fuzzier than it needs to be. You really should learn to do it correctly so that you get the best possible results that are sharp and clear.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Photo stage is junk, Google it and read the reviews, There is some free one's on this site and they are way better, I personally use Ashampoo products for slide shows.
    Quote Quote  
  18. i beg to differ, I got a great result from photo stage.... with stills in there.... vid clips and music

add to that great transitions.....
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
    i beg to differ, I got a great result from photo stage.... with stills in there.... vid clips and music

add to that great transitions.....
    Glad to hear that but you made it sound like you were having problems with it so I just gave you some other suggestions.
    Quote Quote