VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got a slight problem, any maybe it's just because I'm overly OCD about this:

I'm doing a multi-cam video and while syncing up clips I've noticed sometimes they can be ever so slightly out of sync. You really can't see/hear the difference while previewing it, but I'd like to get it perfect if possible.

For instance:

[Attachment 44089 - Click to enlarge]

You can see the 2nd track is just a hair out of sync, but the first noticeable peak on the audio track is between frames. If I drag it to the right, it snaps to the frame after. If I drag it to the left, it snaps to the frame before. I'd like to get the audio tracks to be exactly in line with each other. I tried turning off snapping (Options -> Enable Snapping in the top menu) but it didn't seem to do anything relative to what I was trying to accomplish.

Is this even possible to do in Vegas Pro? I'm using V13.0 on Win7, if that matters.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can unlink the tracks and slip the audio by subframe increments. Video of course is frame-based and any attempt to mess with that is likely to make things ugly. Sync the video to the closest frame (as you have) and keep working.

Edit: Here's a wild thought: Set up your project to oversample the frame rate, say 120 fps or 240 fps. You may be able to slip by partial frames that way. You'll have to decide when you render your final piece whether to maintain that frame rate. I would do some short tests.
    Last edited by smrpix; 21st Dec 2017 at 15:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    While the time elementary base granularity for video is Frames (sometimes fields) - ~ 1/60th sec - , the time base for audio is samples - ~ 1/48000th sec.
    If your audio is ganged to your video, of course it will only be able to move FWD or BACK in increments of a frame. And some NLEs (since they are primarily video-based) don't even have the option of slipping in sample increments. But many do (pretty sure Vegas Pro does).
    Ungang, change your timebase to "samples", and it should slip more fluidly. Then re-gang (if desired).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you disable "quantize to frames" ? It should be in the options menu or Alt+F8
    Quote Quote