VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I have some questions and probably need new hardware...

I bought a Sharp VC-MH76 VCR which has S-VHS simple playback written on it. The only output on this is a SCART interface and audio jacks.

I also bought a cheap capture USB device Logilink USB video grabber VG0001B which has composite and S-Video input.

To be able to use a S-Video cable i use a SCART adapter which has composite and S-Video jacks, you can switch between input and output.

Some screenshot to show my problems, I'm using Virtual Dub 1.10.4 on Windows 10.

I see two devices:
    [Attachment 51290 - Click to enlarge]

When I use composite (yellow) connection with the direct show input I see no preview, but I get audio and it shown 25 fps (It is PAL). When I switch to WDM I get a picture with about 6-10 fps (shown in bottom right). Also I see no preview with the AV to USB device when I record I have a picture.

So I tried Virtual Dub 2 44015 there I see a picture when I choose AV to USB 2.0 but it is distorted you can't make out nothing.
    [Attachment 51291 - Click to enlarge]

If I switch to WDM device the picture is visible bot very low framerate.
    [Attachment 51292 - Click to enlarge]

When I try VLC and set these setting the FPS are fine and the picture is ok.
    [Attachment 51293 - Click to enlarge]

Next try was using S-VHS connection. If I change noting from the previous working setup it just displays black and white picture.

So I can't do S-VHS in color with this hardware? Is the capture device garbage? Is there a fix for preview not working?

One funny thing is that on one tape there is a French radio or TV station audible in the backgroud which was clearly not playing while the recording was made (different country). Maybe during prior dubbing cables picked this up?
    Quote Quote  
  2. So I found that preview actually works but audio runs away while capturing.
    To try to fix this I gut a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-HXD870 (TBC pass through) for not much money and will test if it fixes it.

If not I might just go with that und burn straight to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I gave up with the capture card, it was worse than the DVD from the RDR-HXD870. VirtualDub was an audio sync nightmare.
    I also had recordings with 15 mbit/s on the Sony recorder which were not burnable...
    So I used a USB adapter for the HDD und used a deep scan file recovery and was able to get all mpeg files off the disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's a plain VHS VCR; that's why you can't get a proper image from SCART -> S-Video. The SQPB feature that you mentioned provides low-quality S-VHS playback, but the VCR still doesn't offer a Y/C output.

Recent thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395580-VHS-S-video-noise-identification#post2569826

I think I explained it better in 2014: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1696004#post1696004

Follow the sub-link back to jagabo's VideoHelp post to see why you get black and white.
    Quote Quote