VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, just joined the forum and so glad i found it as i`m hopeing to get some help with an issue i`ve had a while.

One of the things i enjoy doing, is putting together different music video playlists that i can watch/listen to in the evening. So i take, for the sake of argument, 20 music videos, join them together, even putting a 4 second gap between each one like a cd and then convert it into one video file, lets say an hour long. Now 99% of the music videos come from youtube and here`s the issue i have and wondered if there is any software or suggestions anyone has in dealing with it. The problem is as most will probably know, alot of videos on youtube have differing levels of volume, so i have a few playlists i`ve done where i`m sitting with the remote in my hand constantly having to turn the volume up, or down, because of these differences.
    Now i can manually change the volume of these videos and match them best i can, but it`s time consuming, so is there a way i can join say 20 music videos together and `normalise` the audio on them like you can a cd?

hope i`ve explained it ok and would appreciate any help guys, thank you, mark.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, i appreciate the help, but that lot might as well be in spanish for what it means to me.
    HOWEVER, i downloaded ffmpeg and apparently it has to be added to windows 10 path or something, so i followed the instructions to the letter, got to `command prompt` to i assume open the software and it keeps coming up with can`t find it.
    i`m 60 years old and just do this music video editing as a hobby with Movavi video editor which is really simple to use, so i was kinda hoping there`d be something out there where i can add say 20 music videos, click `normalize` or `normalize audio`, job done, but it looks like more trouble than it`s worth. like i said, i can alter the volume on each video manually, but it trakes time and was just looking for an `easier` method
    Quote Quote  
  3. O.K guys, couldn`t get that FFMPEG to work so i had another look round the internet and found this: https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/normalize-audio.html
    MOVAVI AUDIO NORMALIZER.
    so i downloaded it and tried the free version which does the whole video, but puts their watermark in the video and it works brilliant!!
    i played it back and all the videos i`d joined together, were all the same volume, so really chuffed about it. Just need to buy an activation code now, which is £40 for a year, or £62 for life, if anyone`s interested.
    Should have checked Movavi in the first place, i love their software, simple to use and does the job

thank you guys.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MARK2691 View Post
    HOWEVER, i downloaded ffmpeg and apparently it has to be added to windows 10 path or something,
    i`m 60 years old and just do this music video editing as a hobby with Movavi video editor
    Nope, you don't need to add ffmpeg to windows path but this is recommended - you can add ffmpeg path also locally as environment variable in script/batch pr use ffmpeg locally (where your source file is located - not recommending this as then you need constantly care about ffmpeg and source files location)...

Age is not a problem, many of us is between 50...65, some are even older, if this is your hobby then it is worth a while to spent time and learn how to use ffmpeg as very versatile and useful tool - this is beneficial.

Originally Posted by MARK2691 View Post
    O.K guys, couldn`t get that FFMPEG to work
    MOVAVI AUDIO NORMALIZER
    Just need to buy an activation code now, which is £40 for a year, or £62 for life, if anyone`s interested.
    There is no information behind very vague description "couldn`t get that FFMPEG to work" so we can't help you.

Seem you like particular line of products, good for you but please read carefully rules of this forum - advertisement. even clever is still not allowed - you can buy advertisement place and support forum.

40 or 60 quids for something you can do with free tools, no, thank you.

Wishing you all the best with your hobby, cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Understand also that Normalize is not the method that makes everything have the same overall level. Normalize adjusts only based on peaks, not on a statistical average, so it can easily be skewed high or low depending on peak-to-average ratio.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Understand also that Normalize is not the method that makes everything have the same overall level. Normalize adjusts only based on peaks, not on a statistical average, so it can easily be skewed high or low depending on peak-to-average ratio.

Scott
    True, common mistake - level normalization vs perceived loudness.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Foobar2000.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403421-Normalise-audio-level-across-multiple-MP4-files#top

Works like a charm.

To summarise:

Copy all your files into another folder as Foobar overwrites them.

Start Foobar2000 exe

File Open

Select all files to be balanced>Open. A playlist will be created.

Select all files in the playlist

Right click>> Replay gain>Scan per-file track gain

Click Update file Tags

RC Replay Gain>Apply Gain to File Content

Done.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    True, common mistake - level normalization vs perceived loudness.

Thanks guys, i do appreciate the help honestly
    Doing these music video playlists is just something i like to listen to at night for an hour or so before bed, so i`m not taking it too seriously, the sound
    quality is good enough for what i want/need.

My apologies over the perceived advertising, i wasn`t aware, it won`t happen again.

thanks guys, mark.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pandy
    Seem you like particular line of products, good for you but please read carefully rules of this forum - advertisement. even clever is still not allowed - you can buy advertisement place and support forum.

40 or 60 quids for something you can do with free tools, no, thank you.
    I did not, for one minute, consider that the OP was advertising. Good on them for pointing out some stuff that probably works as well as the free stuff without the nonsense.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I did not, for one minute, consider that the OP was advertising. Good on them for pointing out some stuff that probably works as well as the free stuff without the nonsense.
    This is up to Baldrick to decide - shared my impression with OP not with admin or moderator and as i have nothing against ads (that's how some people earn money for living) i believe that if we are using hospitality of forum then we should obey forum rules too. Hope it is clear now.

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    As i agree with your recommendation it must be clear that replay gain method doesn't solve some problems - at first it works at metadata level and it is up to player to implement such method of controlling level - usually not a problem on PC but big unknown in for example HW players.
    Secondly such method is fast and lossless but may be insufficient way to deal with clipped signals (i.e. signals going over 0dBFS in decoding process - quite common in lossy compression codecs acting as filterbank - there is plenty of mp3, aac and similar files where this is even audible - i always recommends decoding and clipping removal for such audios).
    Additional problem is as pointed by Cornucopia i.e. level vs loudness i.e. perceived level - sometimes audio's with same level (peak) may have different perceived level (loudness) - it is good to align audio's to common loudness not absolute peak.
    Last edited by pandy; 31st Jan 2023 at 14:28.
    Quote Quote