VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all! I have some Video8 tapes that I want to transfer to PC. I do not want to use a transfer company since these tapes are personal. I want to get a camcorder but don't know if I need a PAL or NTSC version. How can I find out if these tapes were recorded in PAL or NTSC? There are no markings on the tapes that would give me a clue.

[Attachment 67624 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you live in the USA and made the videos in the USA with equipment bought in the USA there is a >95% likelihood that they are NTSC as that is/was the analog format used in the USA (we invented that format).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The history of tapes gives you a clue on what format they are, Without it you are out of luck. Otherwise get the cheapest working camcorder you can get your hands on and go from there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you stil have à VCR, there are adapters to read those tapes.
    Your VCR should be able to tell you if it is PAL or NTSC (expzxting your VCR is PAL and NTSC compatible)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    No way to find out whether it is PAL or NTSC just by looking on the cassette. No way to find out whether it is standard 8, Hi8 or Digital 8 either. Although, considering that this is not a Hi8 tape, the recording is likely either standard 8 or Digital 8, as Hi8 requires better formulation, while Digital 8 can be recorded onto standard 8 tape. Then again, I don't know enough about 8-mm format, whether a camcorder would refuse to record Hi8 on a standard 8 tape.

@Hunk91, this is an 8-mm cassette, not VHS-C.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks
    Last edited by Hunk91; 14th Nov 2022 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm not sure if D8 can safely be recorded on 8mm tapes, I've tried it and got drop outs, The recommended tapes for D8 recording besides D8 cassettes are Hi8 cassettes. I'm not saying people didn't do it back in the day, it's just no recommended.
    Quote Quote