VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    We have a new home and installed already are both a high AND low outlet for power, cable, HDMI, and blue port. The same outlets and ports are high (behind TV mount) and low (behind entertainment case). We have cable box, LED tv, playstation, and receiver to connect. We need help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most newer TVs use HDMI as the primary video connection. The TV probably has one or more HDMI inputs, selected by the remote.
    The cable box, playstation and Blu-ray player can usually connect directly to the TV via HDMI.
    If the TV doesn't have enough HDMI inputs, you may also use a surround sound receiver with HDMI switching or a HDMI switch box to connect all HDMI signals.

Best is usually feeding all the HDMI through a surround sound receiver to get your audio out to a surround sound system.
    Or you could use the TV set speakers, but at a lower quality.

No idea what a 'blue port' is. Maybe a Ethernet port for Internet access?
    If so, the TV or other devices may have a input for watching Netflix or similar.

You might give us the make and model of the TV and others here may be able to give better advice.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't know what you mean by "blue port"...could be RJ45 (Ethernet), or USB 3.0, or ...?

The high and low outlets are usually designed connecting so that you can run cable back behind the wall from High(TV) to Low (Entertainment center/Settops) without the wires showing or needing cable conduit. My brother has the same kind of layout, so I'm familiar with this (I use conduit).

First, decide how you want to hook things up to the TV (I'm guessing the TV is the hub, but maybe not - please elaborate). Do a trial run AS IF you were hooking them up in free space (just hanging down) and then see how much leeway you have for when you put them down behind the wall. You may have to get longer cable (do NOT get extenders, unless that's the ONLY option). Seriously look into getting plenum-rated cable (fire-retardant, non-toxic).

If you haven't done it before, pulling cable will be the hardest part. Look up the numerous Youtube videos on how to do that.

After that, mounting the TV is the next hardest (even if it's light enough I recommend using 2 people for safety, eyeballing confirmation, etc.).

After that, hook up again like your trial run did, then sit back and relax. And have a cheesesteak, hoagie, pizza or pretzel or italian ice for me! (grew up in Woodbury)

Scott
    Quote Quote