VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There must be a lever somewhere here....

I have a MP4 file with a subtitle stream and the codec for that is reported by MediaInfo as S_TEXT/UTF8. I need to simplify the video with HandBrake and I would like the subtitle stream to be copied over to the output file. HandBrake will copy it over as codec TEXT but I can't get that to show up on my target platform.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. SRT (S-TEXT/UTF8) isn't supported by the mp4 container. Your source is probably something else (mkv?) renamed with an mp4 extension.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Either use mkvmerge to add the srt to mp4 as an mkv or burn the sub in as mp4.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Jag, your input was the clue, thanks so much. I didn't notice that the input file was MKV and it contained the subtitle stream. I was rewriting it to MP4 which for me is usable on a lot of sub-functional platforms. I'm going to write to to MKV and I think the subtitle stream will work.

I've got so much to learn...
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you want an mp4, you can mux the srt subtitle with clever FFmpeg-GUI; the srt subtitle will be automatically converted to mov_text, which is accepted by the mp4 container and can then also be selected in the muxed video.
    Quote Quote