VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I own a Samsung UN55C6500 LED TV and I've been playing MKVs on my TV through my Hard drive hooked up to the tv itself.

What I've noticed is that for some movies where their is foreign dialogue where I would expect the subtitles to activate, doesn't happen. Chances are I am deleting the files associated with the subtitles when transferring the MKVs from the download folder to the hard drive. I've read that I can download a SRT file from say subtitles.org and then encode them on to the MKV using MKVToolNix - mkvmergegui.

I think I am doing things right but am still having trouble with this. I picked the MKV as input and the SRT (which I gave the same name as the MKV) as inputs, choose yes under Forced Track Flag option for subtitle.

After muxing the file setup looks like the image I posted in the following link:

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/theproman23/?action=view&current=MKVSetup.jpg

The subtitles seem to be there. I put the MKV and SRT in the same folder and the subtitles won't activate like I expected.

Any help on this would be great!! Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it even support external subtitles? Does it work with an avi and srt for example?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own a Samsung TV as well and when i play mkv with sub through its' media play function, the sub must be saved on your external HDD separately with the same name as your mkv file in the same folder :

example :

test.mkv
    test.srt

It will play fine...

Last edited by OkeN; 27th Jan 2011 at 11:11.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Oken,

I've actually done that myself. I put the srt file in the same folder as the MKV and named it the same exact name as the MKV. I'll have to check the settings again when I get home.

When you follow this procedure do you have to run both files through MKVToolNix - mkvmergegui?

I am looking to have the MKV know when to show subtitles, for example when there is foreign dialogue. I don't want to have to manually turn on the subtitles and manually turn them off for the english parts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Does it even support external subtitles? Does it work with an avi and srt for example?
    Baldrick,

Yes it does. There are some MKVs in my library that seemed to be able to do what I am looking for automatically as I've made sure not to delete any of the extra content that came with the MKV package.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Samsungs' media play function doesn't play sub muxed in mkv container.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by OkeN View Post
    Samsungs' media play function doesn't play sub muxed in mkv container.
    Oken,

So do you know a way of getting it to work for what I am looking to do? Or what you suggested earlier should work?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to display srt sub is to save one sub file with the mkv file (with same name) on your external HDD hooked on your Samsung UN55C650.

If you have a MKV muxed with srt subs (check with mediainfo) than use MKVToolnix to demux them.
    Quote Quote