VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. About 8. Years Ago I got a DLP Projection T.V. and I think the Lamp Burned Out a little over a Year.

So I Replaced the Lamp but I think it is Burning Out before the Year is up.
    The Picture Looks a little Darker but the Lamp still is going.

They Say DLP is very good with Color and Contrast Ratio.
    And My DLP T.V. is 180 P.

I was Watcing a Video on YouTube and this Guy Shows You His Flat T.V. Screen.

He Says it is a New DLP LED T.V. and it does not use a Lamp.

He Says it is a DLP T.V. but it uses LEDs to Light it not a Lamp.

Are these Out or is it Old or should I not even think of another DLP?

PS
    If I did go with just an LCD and I got a 73 Inch how many Inches Front to Back will the Stand be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There were some DLP rear projectors that used LED instead of an incandescent lamp. But I don't think anybody has produced a DLP TV in nearly 10 years. And, of course, LCD is much better than it was in the heyday of DLP. And OLED isn't horrifically expensive anymore. You can even get micro LED TVs in if you need a really big screen and have a big budget.

https://www.cnet.com/news/rip-rear-projection-tv/
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Mar 2021 at 12:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 70 inch lcd tv and front to back is 2.5 inches deep and the stand on each end is 12 inches wide.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    If I did go with just an LCD and I got a 73 Inch how many Inches Front to Back will the Stand be?
    I went to Best Buy's website to look at their selection of larger LCD TVs. All of the larger TVs are 2160p resolution. The available 720p and 1080p TVs are smaller, 43-inches or less. I did not see any 73-inch LED TVs but there were some 70-inch and 75-inch models. The stand depth is listed in the detailed specification for each TV and the largest front-to-back dimension for a stand that I saw was 16.4 inches, for a 75-inch TV.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for getting back to Me.

Just one more thing just to keep in the back of My Head?

I will be Looking for an LCD T.V. around 72 Inches.

What is a good Refresh Rate and Contrast Ratio?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The recommended contrast ratios usually vary from 1000:1 to 3000:1. and refresh rates are 60-120hz,depending on how much you want to spend and if you are going to use it for gaming get a 120hz,if not get a 60hz.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be Looking for an LCD T.V. around 72 Inches.
    LCD TVs now have an LED backlight and are called something other than LCD TVs by the manufacturer. The terms used in the manufacturer's description for ordinary LED-backlit LCD TVs are "LED TV" or "Crystal UHD TV" (for certain Samsung LED TVs with better image processing). If the TV description uses the words "NanoCell TV" or "QLED TV" or "Quantum Dot" TV, the TV is an LED-backlit LCD TV with technology that enhances the color from the LED backlight. As far as I can tell, there are no more 72-inch LCD/LED TVs. The closest you can get to the size you want now are 70-inch TVs or 75-inch TVs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Mar 2021 at 20:48.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I did get the TCL 6. Series QLED TV.

And everything on YouTube Says after you Connect it to your WiFi you have to Play HDR Videos and Dolby Vision Videos SDR Videos to have it go into the Picture Setting for each Mode.

How do I get the Content to Play to have it go into each Mode?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did get the TCL 6. Series QLED TV.

And everything on YouTube Says after you Connect it to your WiFi you have to Play HDR Videos and Dolby Vision Videos SDR Videos to have it go into the Picture Setting for each Mode.

How do I get the Content to Play to have it go into each Mode?
    If you are asking for help with set-up instructions for the TCL 6 Series QLED TV that you saw on YouTube then you need to provide a link/links to the relevant YouTube video(s). Otherwise, it is difficult to figure out exactly what it is that you are asking about.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All you need to do is go to your tv setting and allow hdr and dolby vision to be used auto,you won't need to set it up again.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Best Buy never got in the TCL 755 Inch QLED TV so I got it on Amazon.com and I have it.

If you Watch YouTube Videos about if you want to make any Settings Say for HDR you do this.

They Say to get it to go into HDR Mode you have to Play an HDR Video.
    But how do I get an HDR video to play?

And if you want to make SDR Settings you must play an SDR Video to get it to go into SDR Mode then you can make your Settings.

And you have to Play Dobly Vision Video to make it go into Dolby Vision Mode.
    Then you can make your Settings for it as well.

They Say if you are just Watching a Movie on TV and go into HDR it will not be the HDR Mode you have to have an HDR Movie to get it to go into HDR Mode.

So if I want to make my own Settings for
    SDR
    HDR
    Dolby Vision
    I have to Play Each Video by it's self to get it to go into each Mode.

This is what the YouTube Videos Say.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The tv will play each video in it's highest mode so nothing to adjust or set.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also plenty of HDR and DV clips on youtube if you're looking for sample clips to play
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for getting back to me.

So if I want to Find an HDR Video Clip on YouTube how do I do this?

Just Type in HDR Video Clip?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's a tab you can click on to see the resolutions available for each clip,some are 1080p max while others are 2160p max.They don't have HDR for some.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Well SDR is Standard RES. am I Right?

So I know I can just Play Standard TV Show to get into SDR Mode.
    Then go to Picture Settings because I do have some things for it I want to do.

But HDR is 4. K RES. am I Right?
    So I can Play a Blue Ray 4. K DVD I have to get it to go into HDR Mode.
    Am I Right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No you are not right.

SDR (std dynamic range) can be any rez, from Std Def/SD (or even below), to HighDef/HD, or UltraHighDef/UHD, or 4K or beyond.
    So can HDR (high dyn range) be any rez. However, for UHD/4K Bluray spec, only 4k has HDR defined for it.
    But for other avenues of media, HDR doesn't necessarily need to be tied to 4k. It's just that that is where it makes the most sense and it has been explicitly spelled out as an option.

Again, though, there are plenty of 4K Blurays that are in SDR not HDR, even though they are UHD rez.

Scott
    Quote Quote