VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I like to do most of my edits losslessly and I only encode videos when I have to, I usually use a key frame editor like Machete, but for frame accurate edits I prefer smart rendering, such as with Smart Cutter. Problem is while Machete seems compatible with most formats, Smart Cutter is not. I would like to find something that supports mp4, avi, mkv and mp4 ideally
    Last edited by imkira3; 22nd Jun 2019 at 00:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Also:
    SolveigMM Video Splitter
    Vegas (smart for MPEG 2 only I believe)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None of the smart rendering editors recommended in this thread supports every possible container file type and audio/video codec. For one thing, they are all commercial products and must pay licensing fees for most of the audio and video codecs they use. Plus, when they re-encode on the GOP level to smart render, they must be able to figure out how to duplicate the characteristics of the untouched audio and video in the rest of the file.

VideoReDo TV Suite V5 supports importing and exporting TS, M2TS, MPG, REC, WTV, DVR-MS, TIVO, MKV, and MP4 files, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and H.264/AVC video, and AAC, AC3, MPEG-1 Layer 2 and PCM audio. Support for the AVI container, DV, and MPEG 4 Part 2 (DivX or XviD) is limited to import. VideoReDo TV Suite V6 Beta adds support for H.265/HEVC. I have VideoReDo TV Suite V5 and found that it works especially well for editing TS files, WTV files, and DVR-MS files containing recorded TV shows made by a Windows PC using a PC TV tuner as the source.

TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 specs: http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr5_spec.html

SolveigMM Video Splitter supports the following file formats: AVCHD, MP4, MOV, MKV, WEBM, FLV, AVI, DV AVI, ASF, WMV, MPEG2(TS,PS,VES), MPEG1(SYS, VES), MP1, MP2, MP3, WAV ... and supports the following audio and video formats: H265/HEVC, H264/AVC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVX, XVID, MJPEG, WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, MPEG Audio, PCM, AC3, AAC
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere Pro fits your requirement. Of course, it's imperfect. If you're a newbie, it seems complicated for you to handle.
    In case you can bear the weakness of smart cutter (limited formats compatibility), smart cutter might still be the 1st at your priority list.
    Just convert video format before loading the video into smart cutter. Google it and there are a meal of ways to show you how-to.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ollie947732B View Post
    Premiere Pro fits your requirement. Of course, it's imperfect. If you're a newbie, it seems complicated for you to handle.
    In case you can bear the weakness of smart cutter (limited formats compatibility), smart cutter might still be the 1st at your priority list.
    Just convert video format before loading the video into smart cutter. Google it and there are a meal of ways to show you how-to.
    Yeah I took a class on using that program and I have never found a program too complicated to use in any case. Converting would defeat the purpose though, did you mean remuxing? In any case, even if I mux it into the proper container that doesn't mean the audio/video streams will be compatible. I recently stopped using smart cutter in any case, since it was causing stuttering with mp4 files for some reason. I'm trying SolveigMM now and it's a really sweet program, wonderful layout, supports all the formats I need too. It keeps crashing though, so after I finish up this video I'm gonna try one of the other programs suggested here. One thing I'm not sure how to do with PP is smart rendering but I'm sure I can figure it out online.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If all you need is cutting and joining, there's Avidemux, which works with the formats you mention, and is free. I don't think it's frame-accurate for most formats, but it's simple and fast. I use TMPGEnc Smart Renderer, which again is only for cutting and joining loss-free.
    Quote Quote