+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There was no such SATA in the XP days, It was either SCSI or the newer then IDE.
    [Takes a deep breath, cracks knuckles, then exhales]
    Windows XP release date was August 2001, SATA wasn't available until 8 years later May 2009, So saying SATA was available back then is flat out wrong. It's the same as saying smart phones were available in the windows XP days because I'm running windows XP on my phone right now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    None of those play for me. I tried the one you linked here, and one from your list in dropbox. I downloaded to computer, not streamed, and it opened in Windows Media Player, Windows 10. I get audio only, no video.
    Those files are very common MPEG-2 SD files and they should play fine in any windows machine and I believe even Mac, Something wrong with your system.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There was no such SATA in the XP days, It was either SCSI or the newer then IDE.
    [Takes a deep breath, cracks knuckles, then exhales]
    Windows XP release date was August 2001, SATA wasn't available until 8 years later May 2009, So saying SATA was available back then is flat out wrong. It's the same as saying smart phones were available in the windows XP days because I'm running windows XP on my phone right now.
    Anything is possible. I'm still checking when I get home, because I've done weirder things.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    None of those play for me. I tried the one you linked here, and one from your list in dropbox. I downloaded to computer, not streamed, and it opened in Windows Media Player, Windows 10. I get audio only, no video.
    Those files are very common MPEG-2 SD files and they should play fine in any windows machine and I believe even Mac, Something wrong with your system.
    That's very weird. I'm sure they'll play fine in my Mac. I'm at work on a Surface Pro, and Windows 10, so who knows. I hate both.

Although, it's a fairly new computer and nothing else is wrong with it. But Surfaces are weird creatures.
    Last edited by Christina; 3rd Apr 2019 at 17:06. Reason: afterthought
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here is how a hardware encoded MPEG-2 capture looks like:
    [Attachment 48573 - Click to enlarge]

The captured tape is slightly worn commercial tape. A D-VHS VCR is used to playback the tape and captured via its firewire to PC, Yes firewire but not in DV format, It was captured in MPEG-2 4:2:0, Lossy but way better than DV. This is just to give an idea of how different codecs work and what do you expect, I'm not suggesting MPEG-2 capturing as I don't use it for my normal capture workflow.
    You would not get that quality with a regular VCR using composite and a USB capture device with MPEG-2 chip on board, You might if you use a S-VHS VCR.

Here is more clips if you don't mind the extra compression of the drop box viewer, You can always download those clip if you want to see the original capture quality.

Thanks for the sample but the quality did not seem any better than using my ADVC 110. Christina will need to decide if it is a better result than her method.

Having said that you claimed you used a Fire Wire DV device to capture in MPEG 2 and avoid the DV quality. My ADVC 110 converts the analogue VHS tape to DV before it goes through the Fire Wire port to my PC. What exactly did you do?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 does not have MPEG 2 support. You have software on your Windows 10 PC like easy DVD creator or something else allowing you to play it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's very weird. I'm sure they'll play fine in my Mac. I'm at work on a Surface Pro, and Windows 10, so who knows. I hate both.

Although, it's a fairly new computer and nothing else is wrong with it. But Surfaces are weird creatures.
    Windows 10 dropped support of MPEG 2. If you have Easy DVD Creator or a similar program then Windows 10 will play it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that reminds me of what my dad and Will Rogers used to say: "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
    Yes indeed!

- isn't there one (or more) models of VHS/DVD combined recorders (i.e. records VHS, records DVD, records from VHS to DVD) that can be used as "pass-through" TBCs to output a more stable Y/C video (SVHS) output you can then capture with an analog capture card?
    Not a combo unit, no.

SATA predates WinXP. However, most XP machines were still on IDE. I don't even recall if the pre-SP XP had no SATA drivers, but it probably had some. Latter years had native drivers in the OS installer, and in fact you could install XP on SATA drives. At least 1 of my capture system is XP on a SATA drive. I think you're think of SATA-II (SATA-2, SATA-300, 3gpbs). SATA-I (SATA-1, SATA-150, 1.5gbps), and mid 2000s is correct there.

Originally Posted by medeamajic View Post
    Windows 10 does not have MPEG 2 support. You have software
    Get VLC, freeware.

used a Fire Wire DV device to capture in MPEG 2 and avoid the DV quality.
    ADVC is hardware DV converter, can't bypass the DV 4:1:1 (or 4:2:0 PAL).

I know Premiere Pro will stay in sync on the PC side.
    Save hassles, use WinDV.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE]
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

used a Fire Wire DV device to capture in MPEG 2 and avoid the DV quality.
    ADVC is hardware DV converter, can't bypass the DV 4:1:1 (or 4:2:0 PAL).
    WTF dude?

Your quoted me wrong. Do an accurate quote next time. Having said that. I know how the ADVC 110 and other DV devices work. In fact I stated the ADVC 110 converts the VHS to DV before sending out the Fire Wire port to the computer. You left that part out. Reread the post. Someone else claimed to use a DV device but were implying they avoided the DV 4:1:1 and captured to MPEG 2. They may have captured to MPEG 2 but the VHS had been converted to DV prior to being sent down the Fire Wire cable. Next time simply quote the original person who claimed to have captured from Fire Wire to MPEG 2. I was asking how he avoided the DV 4:1:1 and captured to MPEG 2. Your quote implies I did the MPEG 2 capture but I did not.

The captured tape is slightly worn commercial tape. A D-VHS VCR is used to playback the tape and captured via its firewire to PC, Yes firewire but not in DV format, It was captured in MPEG-2 4:2:0, Lossy but way better than DV. This is just to give an idea of how different codecs work and what do you expect, I'm not suggesting MPEG-2 capturing as I don't use it for my normal capture workflow.
    You would not get that quality with a regular VCR using composite and a USB capture device with MPEG-2 chip on board, You might if you use a S-VHS VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    To paraphrase Calvin & Hobbes, this is sorta the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Christina View Post

Not to divert this thread (too much), but Surfaces are the tablet for reading comic books! I've got my entire Carl Barks collection in CBR format on my Surface Pro 4 (one of my "work" machines) and that's my lunchtime reading right there.

But for everything else, yeah, they're neither fish nor fowl so people in our department who buy one, use it for a few months, then get frustrated, and trade it in for a laptop. I don't mind, it keeps me in used Surface tablets.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surfaces are the tablet for reading comic books!
    I'll see your Surface, and raise you my Toshiba z20t.

In fact I stated the ADVC 110 converts the VHS to DV before sending out the Fire Wire port to the computer. You left that part out.
    You're arguing when we agree?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Yeah, but I got my boss to buy mine for me, so beat that!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but I got my boss to buy mine for me, so beat that!
    You win this round.
    But I paid 25% of the price as a factory refurb, so do I at least get a runner-up prize?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    But I paid 25% of the price as a factory refurb, so do I at least get a runner-up prize?
    For that you get this genuine reproduction cover of "Young Romance" comics, #73, September 1954. Remember: This Could Happen To You!

https://i0.wp.com/www.vintageinn.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Young-romance.jpg?w=400&ssl=1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For that you get this genuine reproduction cover of "Young Romance" comics, #73, September 1954. Remember: This Could Happen To You!

https://i0.wp.com/www.vintageinn.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Young-romance.jpg?w=400&ssl=1
    LOL!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SATA I came out in 2000, you are probably mixing it up with SATA III, which came out around that time (09). They're all backward compatible, though.

Retraction maybe?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    SATA I came out in 2000, you are probably mixing it up with SATA III, which came out around that time (09). They're all backward compatible, though.
    Scott
    How in God's name are you even following any of this thread at this point? You're a better man than I am!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes I definitely was talking about SATA III.

Having said that you claimed you used a Fire Wire DV device to capture in MPEG 2 and avoid the DV quality. My ADVC 110 converts the analogue VHS tape to DV before it goes through the Fire Wire port to my PC. What exactly did you do?
    Every capture device converts analog video to digital before it goes out in the digital cable, You cannot send analog video into a firewire cable, Can you name a device that converts to DV after sending it out into the firewire cable?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you name a device that converts to DV after sending it out into the firewire cable?
    But isn't Firewire magical?
    Fire Wire.
    Fire.
    FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! < c'mon, who's gonna get the reference?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    In fact I stated the ADVC 110 converts the VHS to DV before sending out the Fire Wire port to the computer. You left that part out.
    In fact, your quote made medeamajic appear to say something stupid that (s)he did not. I would be miffed, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you name a device that converts to DV after sending it out into the firewire cable?
    But isn't Firewire magical?
    Fire Wire.
    Fire.
    FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! < c'mon, who's gonna get the reference?

beavis and butthead?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Every capture device converts analog video to digital before it goes out in the digital cable, You cannot send analog video into a firewire cable, Can you name a device that converts to DV after sending it out into the firewire cable?

WTF dude?

Don't try and swap our positions.

Your are the one claiming you can avoid the DV conversion and capture into MPEG 2 when using a DV device. I am the one asking how the end result would be better than DV when the VHS tape has already been converted to DV to go through the Fire Wire port? I think you were unaware of that. Am I correct?

Now you are asking me what DV device converts to DV after going through the Fire Wire port? As I already stated don't try and swap our positions.

I am the one that told you the the analogue source would have already been converter to DV to go through the Fire Wire cable. I asked you how would your MPEG 2 video be better than DV when it was already converted to DV to be sent through the Fire Wire cable.

Below is your original post and your MPEG 2 video from Fire Wire source that you claim is much better than DV because MPEG 2 is better than DV. The video is no better in quality than DV because it was already in DV format as it went through the Fire WIRE port. You could capture in uncompressed 4:4:4 but the video source would still be DV if you used Fire Wire.

Quote Quote  
  24. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Windows 10 does not have MPEG 2 support. You have software on your Windows 10 PC like easy DVD creator or something else allowing you to play it.
    Unfortunately it is not true, I played the exact same files on my all in one Windows 10 machine and I have no other software installed.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Unfortunately it is not true, I played the exact same files on my all in one Windows 10 machine and I have no other software installed.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mpeg-2-video-extension/9n95q1zzpmh4?activetab=pivotverviewtab
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    In fact, your quote made medeamajic appear to say something stupid that (s)he did not. I would be miffed, too.
    Thanks for noticing. You think that is bad dellsam34 is trying to swap our positions.

dellsam34 is the one who claimed he could use a DV Fire Wire device and get a better result than DV by capturing to MPEG 2. I was the one that informed him the VHS video would have already been converted to DV to go through the Fire Wire cable so how could he have better quality than DV? Now he and Lordsmurf are trying to act like they are informing me that analogue video sources must be converted to DV to go through the Fire Wire port.

There are dishonest people here to say the least but they will be called out for it. Having said that I am sure everyone here knows I am well aware of how Fire Wire DV devices work.

Quote Quote  
  27. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM

WTF dude?

Don't try and swap our positions.

Your are the one claiming you can avoid the DV conversion and capture into MPEG 2 when using a DV device. I am the one asking how the end result would be better than DV when the VHS tape has already been converted to DV to go through the Fire Wire port? I think you were unaware of that. Am I correct?

Now you are asking me what DV device converts to DV after going through the Fire Wire port? As I already stated don't try and swap our positions.

I am the one that told you the the analogue source would have already been converter to DV to go through the Fire Wire cable. I asked you how would your MPEG 2 video be better than DV when it was already converted to DV to be sent through the Fire Wire cable.

Below is your original post and your MPEG 2 video from Fire Wire source that you claim is much better than DV because MPEG 2 is better than DV. The video is no better in quality than DV because it was already in DV format as it went through the Fire WIRE port. You could capture in uncompressed 4:4:4 but the video source would still be DV if you used Fire Wire.
    Swap positions ????? I hope you are not talking dirty. This has nothing to do with Lordsmurf, You quoted me I responded.

Lordsmurf did however explained to you in another thread before that Firewire is a digital port it is not a video codec, So you can connect a hard drive, an optical drive, Stream DV, Stream MPEG-2 .....etc
    Second, D-VHS has absolutely nothing to do with DV.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 3rd Apr 2019 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't use Microsoft applications, just media player and No I did not install that extension, worked out of the box, It was an OEM HP computer though not a retail windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  29. OK... here is the infamous basement PC... Drumroll please!

(Just tilt your head for #2-4. I guess the upload files feature here doesn't pay attention to which way is up.)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6943.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	48574  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6944.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	48575  

Name:	IMG_6945.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	48576  

Name:	IMG_6946.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	48577  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    beavis and butthead?
    Ding, ding, we have a winner!

Now he and Lordsmurf are trying to act like
    You really like to argue. I was quoting a snippet, and agreeing, I had the same raised eyebrow.

OK... here is the infamous basement PC... Drumroll please!
    Boot it, gives specs of RAM, CPU, HDD, open slots (AGP, PCI, PCIe).
    Quote Quote