VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I just want to start off by saying that it was wrong of me to continue with the verbal (or written) lashing of frozenQ. As a newbie to this board, I would have to say that it was wrong of me to do so. I agree with the valid points made earlier. People have spent a lot of time compiling guides to help those of us with problems and or questions regarding DVD/VCD encoding, decoding, burning etc. etc. etc. Now, these guides should be read, as they contain a vast amount of knowledge and solid information on how to handle what ever task you may have. They are EXTREMELY helpful. I should know, I was reading them and using them long before I ever registered to post in these forums. I found them to be very helpful in figuring out how to do something and how to get software needed to do these types of things.

But I was wrong in saying that I couldn't defend a guy for asking "the question." Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I've seen a guide or help section regarding the answer to this topic. I know that it can't be done, but I guess not everyone does. I think that there aren't any such guides or help files, because it is assumed (possibly incorrectly) that everyone knows the answer to this question and it is thusly not needed. Sorry, but I had to say it. Especially since the question was actually asked. So I will defend him on this. and I will use this forum to comprise my own guide regarding the topic.

Here it is:
    BURNING DVD's THAT ARE PLAYABLE IN CD PLAYERS
    1. It can't be done.

Thank you and enjoy.

I understand (albeit slightly) why the question was asked. The media does look similar. but you have to understand how each media are read and written. That is why everyone is having a hard time with this question. But just think about this: It could have been worse. Hecould have asked about playing an LP in his CD player. Then I would definately have to say that I could not defend him.

FrozenQ, I have a suggestion for you. Although it doesn't really belong here. If you need to store large amounts of music on one disk, get a stereo that will play MP3 files.

Now, I apologize too everyone else for my pathetic rambling.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I Think the problem with democracy is A** Holes get freedom of speach
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ive now composed myself,
    To the morons gathered who have hassled a user who needed help...
    This is a help site not a forum for idiots who need a girlfriend.
    You obviously know everything about everything so only one question?
    Why are you here?

This is a help site go join the top gear forum www.smartass.com
    you've probably got more things in common with them than here

FrozenQ you will find a detailed explanation of formats in the site index to the left this will explain general fomats for future reference.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by frozenQ
    im curious about 1 thing... is it possible to burn music-cd's on empty dvd-discs so you can put like 100 songs or so and play it on any cd-player such as cd-players in cars etc etc? cant find any option about it on nero... if so, what prog out there does that? TY frozenQ

If I burn all my music onto a pancake, will it play in my CD player? How about my DVD players?

And Karate! Go get 'em. That post was awesome.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CaptainC - Have you taken your medication today? Did you read the replies to frozenq's question? I think we were all pretty fair with the guy and we didn't bash him too hard. He has been a member since November, so you would assume that he would have been swimming through the mass amount of information found in this forum before he asked THE question.

frozenq thought we were arrogant, and posted that. We thought he was kidding or clueless, and we posted that back.

So CaptainC, the moral to your story is, "He posted, we replied. Freedom of speech lives on in this forum "
    Quote Quote  
  6. No standard cd players wont play dvd's with audio on BUT !

My in car cd player supports DVD discs ?. Why I dont know as it has no video outputs, I have replaced my cd player with a DVD player in my home audio set up (better quality 24 bit DAC etc) and most support the new CD audio formats ie SACD etc.

And why is it that most respectable makes of audio equipment support DVD discs, with as above no video outputs (new ones only).

Is it coming common place that a DVD disc with its large storage space is going to become the norm, as costs reduce and burners get cheeper.

It would be nice to reduce my cd audio collection to just a fist full of DVD's (finding the track I want might be a bugger), but as yet no confirmed media standard has been set for DVD's or SACD's for the sell through retail market.

So if you want to back up your music collection onto DVD great but it will only play in a few standalone cd players, but if backing up is all you're doing great.

Hopefully the DVD format preferably (-r) will become the standard recordable media amongst DVD and CD standalone makers.

I think wishfull thinking !

But enjoy ???

Regards Fatboy[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  7. no standard for DVD-Audio and SACD? huh?

you can play DVD on your Car CD player?

DVD player WITHOUT video-out?

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Ge DVD player will play MP3s so I put 8Hr of mp3s on a single cd-r for parties. I suppose that putting them on a dvd disc will have the same effect with over 40hr of music
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fatboy
    My in car cd player supports DVD discs
    If your CD player can play a DVD, then so can my toaster.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  10. My clarion DRXZ 640rd in car single cd/dvd/mp3/sacd player plays everything but dont go and buy one as there big bucks and have to be imported !!

To my knowledge there is no president yet for a definded future media in recordable DVD's either (-r) (+r) (-rw) (+rw) (ram).

And, yes many DVD Audio and SACD titles are out and purchaseable but what do you record them onto, as I said what is the future standard going to be for standalone CD or HiFi Players.

My thinking is that, its now cheeper for most makers of such home HiFi equipment to put a DVD readable drive in ther products as a selling feature and because its backward compable with other media standards, regardless if has any optical outputs (that costs money). Are they primeing themselves for the future.

The topic was posted as a hopefull string towards most makers becoming compliant to any sort of standard regardless of what type of disc you give it. (It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath)

It would be good if CD's were replaced by DVD's for all right reasons, and hopfully retail costs would reduce due to one format and not the many, but this ain't going to happen soon if ever !.

So untill enough audio manafacturs make CD/MP3/SACD etc compliant equipment (that also read the above on DVD) then we stay as we are.

But Intresting (unless you still have a tape player)

regards,

Fatboy,,,,
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by courtrrb
    My Ge DVD player will play MP3s so I put 8Hr of mp3s on a single cd-r for parties. I suppose that putting them on a dvd disc will have the same effect with over 40hr of music
    My GE will play mp3's but only on certain types of disks. (NO RW's, no gold disks, no barry manilow...) It also stops in the middle of dvds and opens up and spits it out. Piece of junk, I would never buy a GE again.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fatboy
    My clarion DRXZ 640rd in car single cd/dvd/mp3/sacd player plays everything but dont go and buy one as there big bucks and have to be imported !!
    Fatboy - then in your previous post where you say your cd player plays DVD's, is incorrect. Your Clarion is a DVD player with a no video option (It could be optional with mods, but I don't know the deck that well) and is able to play CD's, not vice versa..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    precedent

also,

nice piece for a car.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't know where you get the HU from, but I've searched that model number and it doesn't exist. Even the most current Clarion can NOT play SACD nor DVD-A. In fact, no major manufacturer HU can play SACD nor DVD-A.

I've checked the US, Canada, GB, Australia and Japan's Clarion sites.

Also, more and more people are using DVD-R and DVD-RW as opposed to DVD+R and DVD+RW. Least number of people use DVD-RAM. This data was obtained by TWICE and CEA a couple of months ago.

Last but not least, I can't remember who posted this, just FYI, most DVD player that can play MP3 can ONLY play MP3 recorded on CD-R and CD-RW, when it sees a DVD(-R, -RW, +R, +RW, RAM) with MP3, they will say "invalid disc" or something along that line.

ps: SACD is actually a DVD-based format, not CD-based. So just in case anybody wonders, SACD can never ever be played on a CD player.
    Quote Quote  
  15. last but not least, it is NOT cheap to make a universal player because:

1. for every format they use, they have to pay licensing fee. To be able to play CD-A, DVD-A, DVD-V and SACD, the licensing fee is close to US$80 per unit sold.

2. Every CODEC requires separate processing-set, which means, higher cost of manufacture.

3. Certain CODEC (DVD-A and SACD) require more than 2 D/D and D/A converters (up to 6 converters).

4. More formats supported also means more robust firmware to be created, also not cheap.

All the above (plus many more) will boost the cost of a regular CD player by at least US$100. PLUS all the additional components costs.

That's why, so far, you can't find any decent universal player for less than US$600.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sapiendut
    ps: SACD is actually a DVD-based format, not CD-based. So just in case anybody wonders, SACD can never ever be played on a CD player.
    I think the question was what kind of format the SACD's took. I know that they have to fit on a regular dvd disc, but don't know if a dvd burner could burn a disk in the SACD format. Also, if I remember correctly, I had once heard that the makers of SACD will not make a PC/MAC version of the SACD Drive to keep the illegal copying down. It was a while ago when I heard this, so things could have changed.

Also, with SACD-DVDA still competing for the audiophile market, you really don't know if SACD will stick aound when you think that DVDA could be more compatible. Don't ya think???
    Quote Quote  
  17. I honestly don't think either format is going to fly. I have both of them and in order to actually fully benefit either formats, you have to sit down, at the sweet spot, in a 5.1 setup (or high-end 2-ch setup in the case of 2-ch SACD).

How many people will actually have that kind of setup (or the mood, or the time)?

I sure don't.

I have more than 50 titles of SACD and DVD-A combined. I honestly regret buying them because of the above mentioned reasons (casual listening does not 'show' the benefits of either formats)

last but not least, DVD-A can be copied quite effortlessly, but not SACD.
    Either formats are NOT designed to be digitally transferrable, so the argument of which recordable format will be chosen for DVD-A and SACD copying is moot. Again, if somebody find a way to copy these discs, the format with the cheapest burner and blank media will eventually wins. So far, DVD-R and -RW are winning.
    Quote Quote  
  18. pbemer
    Freedom of speech for idiots
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now see? Who's doing the flaming now CaptainC?? Give it a rest and go back your support group. Your anger management is faltering.

There is no pleasing everyone.
    Quote Quote