VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. DONE IT !!!!. Amended instructions edit by me but originally from BILLMAC--thanks

When you extract the zip files you will get the .bin file and a read me. The read me lists the instructions for burning with nero. I used imageburn. It proved pretty foolproof for me although I second guessed myself the whole time.

In imgburn select "write image file to disc" but under mode tab leave in "Build" mode.
    Under device tab on right I set burning to 4x. Under the options tab the file system dropdown selection was ISO9660 + UDF; UDF Revision dropdown was 1.02; I left recursive subdirectories checked but nothing else in the device tab. Under the labels tab I set the Volume Label at the ISO9660 box to PIONEER
    The Advanced tab opens tabs for Dates - I set button to Use File Date & Time
    Restrictions tab - the ISO9660 tab the Folder/File Name Length set to Level 1 - 11 Characters, 8.3 Format
    Character Set button to Standard
    Left the Allow More than 8 directories and Allow more tha 255 characters in path both checked
    the Joliet tab under Folder/file name length I left the Level 1 - 64 Characters button on
    the UDF tab I had nothing checked
    Select .bin file to burn
    A dialogue box will open when you attempt to burn saying you are trying to build and would you like to save image
    click YES (Billmac said no)
    BILLMAC said change mode to write ,, this is unnecessary, leave on build and it then says do you want to back up, say yes and label it , it then burns fine.

You should now be able to click the button at bottom left that you would normally press to write.

Take the disc to the 420 and its asks if you want to upgrade, press enter, it then freezes for a while but come back alive with the tray ejected, press and hold enter it turns off and is then region free,

Multiregional when Enter is pushed until the player turns off"
    If the upgrade is finished the unit is not made multi region until you press enter to turn off the machine.
    You turn back on and its multiregion!

even though the firmware says region one, which you find by going into home menu and initial settings, then options and press display on the remote, it still says region 1 but I have used a definite PAL region 2 disc and it worked.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Victoriabears - I'm glad it worked for you finally.
    I have re-done a second time exactly the directions I indicated before. It worked! After your most recent email I went back and tried again, and again, and I could not duplicate my previous 2 successes !!! I am running Vista, IMGburn 2.4.2.0
    I know the first time I tried it Ihad to figure out the switch from "Build" to "write" mode.
    No explanation for what the issue may be with all this or if that switch was even necesary - but it worked, twice. I also had absolutely no difficulty burning, or installing new firmware- no freezing as you got no issues of any kind. In fact it went so fast that I almost thought I had done something wrong.

Anyway just thought I'd add this update so that others who try to burn with anything other than Nero are careful.
    Cool player though right
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes ,,this hobby is fun and frustrating , but its great to be helpful and get help-thanks
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wish I had seen this before but it is only in the v1.1 firmware from pioneer faq:- and I only had Nero essentials not burning rom which is really necessary for firmware updates I think to ensure all the options are right, I also burnt at 16x and it worked fine. I used fuji cd's

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/index.php?question=Firmwares

slide down to the 420 area and use the cp1252 option which looks as though its for euro models only but as it is the same firmware number as the North American models, it works, adds long file name and region free.

2.1. How to burn and install the firmware:
    -----------------------------------------

BURNING CD:
    1. Launch Nero.
    2. In the "New Compilation" pannel:
    - top left part, choose "CD" in the drop-down list
    - bottom left part, choose "CD-ROM (ISO)" in the icon list
    In tabs, choose following options:
    "Multisession" tab
    - "No Multisession" must be selected
    "ISO" tab
    - File name length: "Max of 11 = 8 +3 chars (ISO level 1)"
    - Format: "Mode 1"
    - Character set: "ISO 9660"
    - "Joliet": this option should be unchecked
    "Label" tab
    - Volume label - ISO 9660: "PIONEER" (without quotes)
    "Burn" tab
    - "Write" must be checked
    - "Finalize CD" MUST BE checked!!
    - Write Speed: "please do not select the maximum speed but rather an other less fast if possible"!
    - Write Method: "Disk-at-once"
    3. Click on button "New".
    4. In the right window, choose the file corresponding to firmware (ex: "Y1B01160.BIN") and drag&drop it in the window most to the left.
    5. Choose the menu "Recorder\Burn Compilation..."
    6. Launch burning using the "Burn" button.
    7. When the burning is launched, please check the box "Verify written data", to be sure of the date written during this session.
    UPGRADING:
    1. Turn on the player, and open the disc tray.
    2. Put the Firmware Update Disc on the tray, and close the tray.
    3. A screen will be displayed inviting you to push the "play" button to start the update.
    4. The player will load the data, and the tray will open again. Remove the Firmware Update Disc from the tray now. Leave the tray open. The update process will complete in few minutes.
    5. Wait until the update process finishes and the DVD logo is shown on the screen.

Attention: DO NOT unplug the power cable or turn off the player during the update process.

2.2. How to set Subtitles to your Language:
    -----------------------------------------
    Just use the code for your language.
    Firmware is for users of CP1250, CP1251, CP1252, CP1254 and CP1255
    deafult language is CP1252

2.3 Problems that can occure while installing a firmware:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    When update is finished, the TV-screens goes black as it should, but player does still say LOADING,
    it does not restart it self!
    If you are ABSOLUTLEY sure the update is done, wait 10 minutes to be sure.
    Close the tray by hand, then pull the power cord and then put it back in!
    When you start the player again, it should read CLEAR and start normal!

If you later get some problems while using your DVD player, simply do a reset to factory settings,
    This will not how ever return your player to a 'original' firmware version.
    In off mode, press and hold the STOP button and then press STANDBY/ON button, it's the buttons on the player it self to be used!

3. Terms of Use
    --------------------------------------------

3.1 Disclaimer
    --------------------------------------------
    These firmwares are prepared and provided "AS IS" and on an "AS AVAILABLE" basis without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for particular purposes. In no event shall owner of PioneerFAQ.info be liable for any damages, including without limitation, special, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortuous action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of these documents.

These firmwares may contain technical inaccuracies, typographical errors and the colours of the depicted products may deviate slightly from reality.

Changes may be periodically made to these firmwares; these changes will be incorporated in new editions of the firmwares. Specifications and design of the fimrwares described or illustrated in these pages are subject to possible changes without prior notice.

Your warranty at Pioneer may be cancled by using firmwares found at pioneerfaq.info.

3.2 Warning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING:
    These firmware, even if it have already been tested by several users, are published "as-is", without any kind of guarantee.
    If a problem happen during update, the guarantee of your player could be simply canceled!
    If you do not agree with this, then JUST DON'T USE THIS FIRMWARE.
    Note: You can always (if your player is not out of order) go back to an official firmware if you don't like
    this one.

4. Version History:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Based on YKB9326C

V1.1 (2009-09-27)
    ------------------
    - Turned off Jpeg preview every where now!
    - Fixed bug with not showing all (european)chars in file browser.
    - Long file names in USB mode.
    - Fixed a problem with file browser.
    - Screen saver to match the silver team!

V1.0 (2009-09-20)
    ------------------
    - Multiregional when Enter is pushed until the player turns off.
    - Original region setting restorde when Clear is pushed until player turns off.
    - New better backgrounds.
    - Black Level is at Video Adjust.
    - Changed subtitle window to support bigger subtitles.
    - Word wrapping.
    - Show all caracters in filename, foldername and when Display button is pushed instead of "_"*
    - SRT bug fixed.
    - UOP disabled, partial!
    - Bigger font for Subtitles in MPEG4 (CP1250,1251,1252,1254,1255);
    - Support for 42** chars in File Browser (Choose correct file for your language)
    - New File Browser image to support longer names.
    - JPEG Preview disabled, not in USB.
    - BNR is at Video Adjust.
    - Shuffle function for MP3 under "7" button. For 7 hold button longer!
    - New icons made by Dinderi.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by samijubal
    It can easily be made region free and is a lot better player than the cheapo Philips/Funai junk everybody here recommends.
    Can you elaborate a bit how this one is a lot better than the Philips 5980 or previous generation model?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am a Philips fan, but like many pieces of AV equipment they suffer very badly if even slightly mis treated, eg: do not stack them under other equipment, use chepa hockey pucks from wal mart to create seperation and air flow.

The Pioneer is better built, more easilly available and the picture quality I judge is better by about 30% than the Philips.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Philips/Funai players don't do ANYTHING better than the Pioneers. Picture quality, PAL to NTSC conversion, audio quality, load times, menus, build quality, remote and especially the sensor on the player, etc. Anything you can think of the Pioneer does better.

People here like Philips because they are cheap, can be made region free and have USB. All that in no way makes them a good player. They might be OK for an occasional other region disc, if you've never used a Pioneer, but they could NEVER be used as a main player in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of useful info here about DV-420V-K. Do you think it applies to DV-220-V-K as well?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. i do not believe so, I see best Buy.ca has the pioneer 220 for $50 !, if convenient, buy one try the firmware and see, return it if no good, my take on the firmware upgrade is it either works or not, it does not seem to be reorted as bricking the player
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you do buy the 220 make SURE you install the right firmware for the player, if it's even there. DON'T use the 420 firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  11. always bear in mind that if a player will play pal on a ntsc tv, and cannot be made region free, backing up the pal discs will make them playable as backing up removes region encoding.

Not so convenient but workable, Future shop has the 420 on at $90 plus tax and free delivery, so thats the price for convenience.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My philips multi-region player went belly up on Dec 24. After some researches, I found this interested thread. So, yesterday, went to Future Shop, bought myself a 420K...

Download of the firmware: a breeze
    burning of the 1.1 firmware: a breeze thanks to the detailled instructions
    Installing it: easy

BUT when I tried a region 3 DVD: "can not read - region error" ! tried a region 2 DVD: same problem...

I re-read the instructions to discover that you have to pressnhold Enter key. So, re-install 1.1 AND pressnhold Enter key (on the remote). Player re-started itself, I turned it off then on and....nothing (meaning it can still read region 1 DVDs but is not multi-region)

So, what is the step I forgot or the secret process I missed ? Should I better downgrade to original firmware and then re-install 1.1 ? Is it the remote's Enter key to push or not ?

Any help will be welcomed

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    even though the firmware says region one, which you find by going into home menu and initial settings, then options and press display on the remote, it still says region 1 but I have used a definite PAL region 2 disc and it worked.
    That is also a part I don't have - there is no indication of region in the option menu... strange
    Quote Quote  
  14. turn player on and open tray with no disk in, then hold enter on the remote until it turns off, then try a region 2 disc again, if not working.

I used fuji cd, tried memorex and would not work, why the hell the brand of blank makes a difference, who knows !!

UPGRADING:
    1. Turn on the player, and open the disc tray.
    2. Put the Firmware Update Disc on the tray, and close the tray.
    3. A screen will be displayed inviting you to push the "play" button to start the update.
    4. The player will load the data, and the tray will open again. Remove the Firmware Update Disc from the tray now. Leave the tray open. The update process will complete in few minutes.
    5. Wait until the update process finishes and the DVD logo is shown on the screen.or wait 5 minutes
    Press and hold the enter until the machine turns off, turn it back on and the menu for files should be wider and its region free.

Attention: DO NOT unplug the power cable or turn off the player during the update process.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    turn player on and open tray with no disk in, then hold enter on the remote until it turns off, then try a region 2 disc again, if not working.
    "until it turns off" - that is the part I missed !!

So, thanks to you, I made it !!! It is 100% multi-region now !!

Happy new year to you and all readers...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Can somebody please help me on this firmware update. I did everything you guys said and I keep getting the "Can't play CD"messege.

I can't find out what firmware is on the dvd player.
    Just bought it 1 week ago from walmart online
    I tried nero, imgburn but nothing seems to work.
    I used DYNEX CD-R, Memorex DC-R, I even tried maxell DVD-RW, Sony DVD+r

would like to upgrade cause I'm from Europe and I have a lot of DVD's PAL.

So please help me, what am I doing wrong.
    Or did Pioneer changed everything so I can't get no firmware upgrade, cause like I said I can't see the firmware version now.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have just, with some trepidation used the latest firmware update on my North American player, as it seemed to be based on the old firmware, but I renamed it to 9326 per my existing firmware and anyways I downloaded it burnt to a cd-rw per my previous imgburn instructions and it worked.

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/index.php?question=Firmwares&type=DVD

I can email you the iso file to burn if you want. users take thier own chances
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ive bought the Pioneer DV 420 V-K on german ebay (live in germany as well) and the serial of the player is ykf9326a.
    I tried to go through all the steps exactly like pioneerfaq and bears imgburn faq are telling me, but i cant get my player to play german/europe cds..

this is how i tried to update the firmware:

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/d...tion=Firmwares
    im not even sure, which version i should download. ive tried to burn YKB9326C, but my player is loading ages and nothing happend. after about 3 minutes it says again "region free bla bla"
    can anyone tell me which version is the one for me? and i read something about changing the B to an F? But not in the newer versions? Sorry its very confusing to me, and it would be great if you guys can help me with this!!

ive burned with nero with the settings of the readme folder but my player couldnt read it, it says no disc found. so i tried your imgburn way and my player did NOT say no disc found, but nothing happend too. i could hear that the cd disk is running faster but at one point it stopped.

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong and what i have to do, to watch german / europe cds and dvds? i dont know how i can ask too, so u are something like my last chance. Thanks a lot, i preciate ur help a lot and sorry for my bad grammar.

greets from germany
    Quote Quote