Intel Core I7-8700K
    64GB DDR4 RAM
    Plenty of storage

Recording/Editing Software:
    OBS (Recording)
    Vegas Pro 17
    Davinci Resolve
    Adobe Premier Pro 2020
    (Open to trying/buying ones that will help)

So, I've been trying to boost the footage quality of some Minecraft/Gaming clips, but have been at a bit of a conundrum, and wanted to ask you all for help (Apologies if this is in the wrong forum section!)

I can record this super smooth footage at pretty much any framerate I want. I use OBS to record it at 180 FPS with 1440p resolution scaled down to 1080p (Will not scale down if i can figure this out).

The footage looks great on my 144hz monitor, but obviously a 60hz monitor will leave the footage looking, well less than desirable. This is a huge problem for Youtube, where footage framerate caps at 60 and leaves the footage looking laggy in my eyes. I'm really picky with how it looks, and want it to look smooth as silk on 60 fps.

This is where I need help, I can't figure out how to get this incredible footage looking smooth. I was thinking maybe blending the frames together, but I barely know how, let alone what software will do it the best. I was thinking since my computer can handle pretty much anything i throw at it, if I record at an incredibly high frame rate, maybe having all of those extra frames in between could help accomplish this?

If anybody needs any clarification, I'm happy to provide information.

Here are some links of the footage i'm unhappy with. I know they are "good enough" and "close to great", but there's a billion channels out there with "pretty good" footage and I really want to get things perfect. I have been trying to adjust settings in game now to see what I can do to make it easier for software to render this and what not, but this is pretty frusterating and college is back :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7aMVDOMHM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xo2HLPpp9M
    https://youtu.be/PULHV2KG1TQ

Thank you all so much in advance!

Edit:
    I can fix bitrate to make pixels not ugly, but not sure youtube can properly take a giant file size like this one as a large video. Love how smooth it looks: https://youtu.be/OuEIJgUdjag
    Last edited by dveloper; 7th Jan 2020 at 00:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I only looked at the first one. You do know, don't you, that YouTube reencodes everything at relatively low bitrates and it'll never look remotely close to the video you uploaded?
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can try adding motion blur. That can be less desireable too, in slightly different ways, but it will seem smoother .

Or use something other that Youtube, that doesn't limit to 60. like your own host
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I only looked at the first one. You do know, don't you, that YouTube reencodes everything at relatively low bitrates and it'll never look remotely close to the video you uploaded?
    Thanks for the reply
    Yes, I'm familiar with that; I'm more concerned about the smoothness than the footage quality. I found forcing youtube to encode my videos in VP60 would solve that problem for the most part.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can try adding motion blur. That can be less desireable too, in slightly different ways, but it will seem smoother .

Or use something other that Youtube, that doesn't limit to 60. like your own host
    Thank you as well
    I've tried several different variations of motion blur, and it does help, but those videos above each have motion blur
    Edit: I am trying to edit/render my footage in a way that can create smoothness similar to viewing on a 144hz display, despite being viewed on youtube/a worse display
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T44LQGWgZY
    Here's an example of what I mean. Going for something similar but not identical to this, but notice how much smoother his framerate looks than mine, despite the identical framerate!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dveloper View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can try adding motion blur. That can be less desireable too, in slightly different ways, but it will seem smoother .

Thank you as well
    I've tried several different variations of motion blur, and it does help, but those videos above each have motion blur
    Edit: I am trying to edit/render my footage in a way that can create smoothness similar to viewing on a 144hz display, despite being viewed on youtube/a worse display
    Here's an example of what I mean. Going for something similar but not identical to this, but notice how much smoother his framerate looks than mine, despite the identical framerate!

Are you using a mod or ingame motion blur, or post motion blur?

That other guy uses RSMB a 3rd party plugin in post, but in vegas (you can use it in After Effects too, that was the original host program it was developer for). There are free post motion blur alternatives such as avisynth mvtools2, but they usually aren't as good for motion blur

And if you could extract and export motion vectors minecraft for input into RSMB, it would improve it even more

But too much motion blur makes it look strobey or mushy .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by dveloper View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Thank you as well

Are you using a mod or ingame motion blur, or post motion blur?

That other guy uses RSMB a 3rd party plugin in post, but in vegas (you can use it in After Effects too, that was the original host program it was developer for). There are free post motion blur alternatives such as avisynth mvtools2, but they usually aren't as good for motion blur

And if you could extract and export motion vectors minecraft for input into RSMB, it would improve it even more

But too much motion blur makes it look strobey or mushy .
    Actually using both in game AND in editor motion blur. I think I figured it out, albiet this video was deliberately made without me editing the quality of the footage to darken it and contrast it better--and sound. Do you think this is as smooth as i'm going to be able to get it? I can live with it being this smooth; turning down game sensitivity and some other settings as well for a more cinematic experience for the viewer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3suwIPIUE&feature=youtu.be
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dveloper View Post
    I use OBS to record it at 180 FPS...

The footage looks great on my 144hz monitor.
    Caveat: few players can actually display such clips properly, at times even the recorder failed to perform the recording properly... (subliminal frame rate drop)

And anything recorded in such manner is usually VFR... Which means the frame dropping process (to achieve the reduced frame rate, which is designed for CFR) * may not work well.

* By the post-processing encoder. The frame dropping process of such real time recorders works differently.

Note: instructing the recorder to generate a CFR output on regardless doesn't serve much point. (for the input is of VFR nature, and doing so can be detrimental)

Though the original clip may not be displayed properly... If you think it looks great, you can try recording again with the reduced target frame rate using the player as the input source.
    Quote Quote