VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have this client, who wants his video content to be uploaded in 4k 60fps. 4k 60 fps is fine but he complaint about the quality being inferior on lower resolution and he says that most people would watch it in 1080p. I could just upload in 1080p then, but he insist to have 4k available. It seems Youtube are making the rules here. No matter how I compress the video in 4k, it will somehow look bad in 1080p unless I compress the video in 1080p.

Is there a method to actually make this happen? like just upload the 4k and have best quality on all resolution settings? or it just out of realm of possibility?

EDIT: I use Premiere Pro for compressing in h264 mp4 files.

thanks
    Last edited by Jonz; 1st Feb 2020 at 06:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last I read, they process all uploaded video into their own formats. So even the 4k that you are uploading is being processed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Apparently the O.P. made some tests and noticed that the quality was significantly better in 1920x1080 when uploading a video in that resolution, as opposed to the same video uploaded in “4K” when viewed in 1920x1080. And the question was : is there any way to control the quality of the conversion to lower resolutions ? Looks like there ain't.
    Vimeo is known to respect the video quality much better, but is nowhere near as “popular”. It might be a better choice, though, for professional productions with an emphasis on the technical quality of the content.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jonz View Post
    I have this client, who wants his video content to be uploaded in 4k 60fps. 4k 60 fps is fine but he complaint about the quality being inferior on lower resolution and he says that most people would watch it in 1080p. I could just upload in 1080p then, but he insist to have 4k available. It seems Youtube are making the rules here. No matter how I compress the video in 4k, it will somehow look bad in 1080p unless I compress the video in 1080p.
    So I suggest this workaround
    {{since YT doesn't allow an actual solution}}

— upload both the 1080p and the 4k versions and add the link to the 4k version in the description of the Full-HD video.

Yes, I've already seen some YouTube users doing this.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is it that big of a difference ? I'd imagine the 1080p version of the UHD upload to be similar in quality to a directly uploaded 1080p version . (ie. both look just as bad)

And were you viewing/testing the same versions ? 1080p comes in VP9 and h264 flavours . Sometimes one is better than the other on certain types of content or scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Is it that big of a difference ? I'd imagine the 1080p version of the UHD upload to be similar in quality to a directly uploaded 1080p version . (ie. both look just as bad)
    My testing on the subject seems to confirm this.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    And were you viewing/testing the same versions ? 1080p comes in VP9 and h264 flavours . Sometimes one is better than the other on certain types of content or scenes.
    Also note that the result may not be reliable when the video has just been uploaded.

Waiting for some time (YouTube knows how long exactly) seemed necessary for the high quality version to be available.
    Quote Quote