VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert an mkv file to an avi file and I am having trouble with mencoder.

I keep on getting a message that the -oac command does not exist. Is there something that I am missing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do you realistically expect help with the amount of info you provided?

always provide command line used and resulting output.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sakuya_su
    try using a new mencoder GUI, which is alltoavi:

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net

it converts ogm/mkv to avi using subtitle, has batch mode and subtitle/audio selection
    niiice, lets you select language too. been looking for a free program like that for ages, just one problem and question though.

converted a video, set it to convert it in english... however now all of the sound is ridiculously out of sync. any idea how i remedy this? if i just play it as an MKV file the english audio is fine, but for some reason it went all out of sync while converting.
    no one ever wins, no one finally looses, except the dead. under the sun they rot together with absolute, biological equality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using OGG2AVI and the program works great but after burning the new avi file(which played perfectly on VLC Player) I then tried playing it on my dvd player and it wont play the avi file...I've also tried changing the mp3 bit rate both higher and lower....same thing...no luck. Any ideas on how to get this to work? I'm using a Toshiba SD-3990 DVD player. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    fijha: I don't think ogg to avi reconverts to divx/xvid that your dvd player requires. Reconvert using WinFF or alltoavi instead.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi Baldrick,

Since you mentioned AllToAVI and WinFF ... I have few "dumb" Q's ...

Q1: Is there a Mencoder.Exe somewhere or the MPlayer is the application!?!? I have a heck of hard time deciphering the Author's home page.

Q2: How can I change the "Mencoder" version in AllToAVI? AllToAVI crashes in my Vista Home Premium 64-bit!

Q3: In WinFF ... how can I make the converted AVI to be an "Un-Packed" AVI!?!? What is the Additional command?
    I know I can unpack it with MPEG4Modifier ... but I think there is a way in WinFF "Additional Command line" to tell the Mencoder to make the AVI unpacked!

Q4: Is there a "Cheat-Sheet" for Command line application for "Newbies" like little ol me!?!?

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my 1st time ever tryin to do somethin like this and its not workin at all. i'm usin windows vista so it might be a little different but everytime i try and do the program it says it can't find the path

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kristian Cooper>"C:\Program Files\mplayer\mencoder.exe" "C:\Users\Krist
    ian Cooper\Videos\-__- MKVs\Michiko to Hatchin 08.mkv" -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -o
    "c:\videos\Michiko to Hatchin 08.avi"
    The system cannot find the path specified.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by KCfresh
    This is my 1st time ever tryin to do somethin like this and its not workin at all. i'm usin windows vista so it might be a little different but everytime i try and do the program it says it can't find the path

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kristian Cooper>"C:\Program Files\mplayer\mencoder.exe" "C:\Users\Krist
    ian Cooper\Videos\-__- MKVs\Michiko to Hatchin 08.mkv" -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -o
    "c:\videos\Michiko to Hatchin 08.avi"
    The system cannot find the path specified.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    Hi KCFresh,

Totally Un-Install and clean the traces and then do a clean install with the latest version ... and let install itself where it wants to go ... most likely under X86 program files. Then locate Desk Icon and Right-Click on it and under Properties choose "Run as Administrator" and may be even "in XP Compatibility Mode" and then run the program.

It should work fine!

G!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to convert mkv to avi with almost the same quality with mencoder command line? What is best command for that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. The guide from page 1 not working.
    Other methods to convert MKV to AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use instead handbrake or xvid4psp or winff, etc. This is a very old guide and it wont work for most new mkvs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks.
    Job done with XviD4PSP.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hy guys. I read all posts but i have one question.

I have mplayer but what codecs for mkv to avi?

And why i havet this error? fontconfig error: cannout load default config file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    How to convert from OGM to AVI or MKV to AVI with mp3 audio and xvid video.
    If you want to convert the audio to mp3 and the video to xvid in an avi.
    Ive downloaded and installed this from their website and all I get is a stupid player called SMPlayer . wheres the mencoder program???
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I had same issue with "Too many audio packets in the buffer..." with breaking the encoding process. It appeared finally after one hour of investigation that mencoder was identifying .mkv file as having 48 FPS instead of 24 FPS thus video was going twice faster than audio resulting in dropping each second video frame and accumulating lots of audio frames in temp buffer...
    The solution was simple, to override input FPS for mencoder. I.e. adding "-fps 24000/1001" to specify input fps = 23.976 (which was shown by Media Player Classic in MediaInfo tab for some reason, it was showing correct). So mencoder have some problem handling MKV headers... (to specify the output fps for encoded video file add -ofps 24 or -ofps 24000/10001 (to set 23.976 FPS) whatever is needed, input and output fps could be different for transcoding purposes).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi Baldrick ! Thanks for your usefull post
    But i only want to extrack only video (original is avi that i make it of VirtualDub form dvd), no audio. What should i do, and could you give me a comment line in mencoder
    Quote Quote