VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I inserted 4GB SD card to my smartphone, and something weird happens.
    The card is seen as ~16.5GB (hehe, I wish it were true lol)
    ===>>

Is there a filesize limit Windows Mobile 2003 SE Smartphone can use?
    I never had any problem with a 2GB SD cards before.
    I read somewhere Windows Mobile use FAT filesystem.
    So, IIRC, FAT have a limit of 2GB max, hence the problem with 4GB card, am I correct?
    And if I am - here's another question: is there a way to use FAT32 filesystem instead?
    Any other thoughts?

(and yes, the card was formatted)

edit:
    I reformatted it and moved avi and mp3 files to it using my digital camera (since it has fast USB2.0 vs. my phone's slow USB1.0) and the phone still sees it as 16448 MB in size. Almost all files are OK, but some movies cannot be FF/REV due to supposedly "damaged headers" (but they play if started from begining using TCPMP), and few mp3 files are non-accessible either (show "!" icon and won't play at all, Pocket WMP 10 just skips them).
    Yet very same supposedly 'bad' files when moved to 2GB SD card - all play normally on the phone, hmm...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look for a firmware upgrade. Also make sure it can read cards over 2gb.

I had a rio Mp3 player that could read up to a 1gb sd card but not any higher. You have to keep on eye on that.

Have you tried filling it up to just under 2gb? Do files play properly if you don't go beyond that limit? Maybe worth a try.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thx for reply, Mster Yoda
    It reads most of the files (I fill it up with MP3s and XVID films), but it doesnt want to install anything to this card, and few MP3s are not playable, as well as 2 of the movies have 'damaged headers' according to TCPMP player (they play fine from begining probably till the end - didnt watch anything till the end yet) and as such they are not 'browseable' (can't FF/REV) so it seems it does read it somehow.

Its my beloved VOQ phone, there are no upgrades/updates since it has been abandoned by its creators (canadian Sierra Wireless - its a very typical canadian story, they often make something ahead or advanced and then they abandon it out of the sudden...).
    I guess I will have to change phone soon Anyways 206MHz smartphone isn't cutting it anymore.
    Quote Quote