VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At least I think it's deinterlacing. I have my own DOS command line script already made up for items that do not need it, but just wondering what I should add to it to try and lessen this (see hands) when there's faster movement involved.

As much as I'd love to be able to use AviSynth, I've tried about a dozen times now and it's got my idiot-brain frazzled... hence my retreat to ffmpeg.

It's a 50yr-old British show, so 576p/25fps/Pal.

Realise I could set Handbrake to defaults and load it through that, but trying to increase my knowledge - little by little.

Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree and there's nothing I can do. It's watchable without doing anything to it, but once I've noticed this I can't help wishing to do something - if there is something - that'll lessen it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deinterlace before resizing.

Code:
    -vf yadif=1,scale=640:480
    But deinterlacing may not be the correct procedure. You should upload a short un-re-encoded sample. Include a medium speed horizontal panning shot.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Jun 2022 at 20:02.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Jagabo. You always seem to be here, and you're eternally helpful! And I'm eternally grateful.

Sorry if my difficulties re: AviSynth have you pulling your hair out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/301446/shortsnip.mp4

https://files.videohelp.com/u/301446/snippet.mp4

Jagabo wins! Seems I may be too late for deinterlacing. You can see it on the top file, even though it's quite leisurely.

In the second file, it's particularly noticeable at the beginning.

Variable frame rate, x264, 854x480 is the nearest I can get to source too, and that's where the snippets are from.

Assuming this is past the point of deinterlacing?
    Last edited by SM1872; 25th Jun 2022 at 02:46.
    Quote Quote  
  5. One thing you can do is further blur the two fields together. That makes it look a little better when watching full screen. The attached video was made by downscaling to 854x240 the upscaling back to 854x480 (in AviSynth but any editor that lets you scale twice will work). Oh, I also decimated back to 25 fps to get rid of the duplicate frame every 6th frame.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers Jagabo. Run it with any interlacing filters? Or just take those off?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The damage makes it impossible to deinterlace the video properly. That's why I suggested just blurring it. It's arguable whether that's really an improvement though. You're best bet is to find a true PAL version of the show.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Jun 2022 at 09:10.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    (nevermind)
    Last edited by rgr; 26th Jun 2022 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The damage makes it impossible to deinterlace the video properly. That's why I suggested just blurring it. It's arguable whether that's really an improvement though. You're best bet is to find a true PAL version of the show.
    Understood. I can't get to the source, so I may just stick with what I've got.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Finally got round to processing it.

Jagabo, that's amazing. It's almost completely gone. What an amazing trick. I doff my cap, and so on.

Than you so much for that. You're a genius.
    Quote Quote