VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I've a question concerning if it's possible to generate a LUT from DVD source to apply to HD material.
    Recently I've found a version online that's better than the three Blu-Rays that I own.
    From what I've read it'a quite well done upscale from the DVD version while the Blu-Rays all have pretty baaaad crushed black levels/detail, the upscale has all these details.
    Just the colors don't pop as much as the original DVD.
    Therefore my question, is there a relatively easy way to generate a LUT comparitvely against the DVD source and adjust colors?

Thanks for your help guys!
    Quote Quote  
  2. BluRays are always better. Upscale can't recover any details. Also are you sure its not your tv that crushes blacks so much
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Nope, definitely not the case here.
    And that wasn't my question.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There an AviSynth filter called ColourLike() that can match the colors of one video to look like another.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ColourLike
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    BluRays are always better. Upscale can't recover any details. Also are you sure its not your tv that crushes blacks so much
    Some animated material can look pretty good when it is upscaled but if the colorspace differences between Blu-ray and DVD are not properly addressed when the video for a Blu-ray release is upscaled from the original SD source and mastered for Blu-ray, the colors and black levels are going to be wrong in the Blu-ray. Anyway, that's what I have been told and it appears to match reality for a few examples that I have seen on TV.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There an AviSynth filter called ColourLike() that can match the colors of one video to look like another.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ColourLike
    Yes, should probably give that a try!

Some animated material can look pretty good when it is upscaled but if the colorspace differences between Blu-ray and DVD are not properly addressed when the video for a Blu-ray release is upscaled from the original SD source and mastered for Blu-ray, the colors and black levels are going to be wrong in the Blu-ray. Anyway, that's what I have been told and it appears to match reality for a few examples that I have seen on TV.
    Either that, or that supposed re-scan of the material has aged pretty poorly in not even 15 years (at the time of the first BluRay release)!
    I could post some comparison shots between the first DVD and the current BluRay/s (even though all the BluRays are pretty close together in appearance)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Or the BD "remaster" was purposely graded differently, and some people don't like it

A LUT application, or color matching, or histogram matching approach will not recover any crushed details - those will only attempt to match the color palette. In fact - sometimes they may make shadow regions look worse by brightening the shadow compression artifacts on the crushed BD version

It might be possible to add back some detail using a shadow mask. Basically apply some of the DVD details to the BD in dark shadow regions only . It depends on the condition DVD video and how will you can blend or composite it in

Other avs options for color matching are MatchHistogram and ColourWarp.
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ColourWarp
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MatchHistogram

There are also several commercial plugins for matching color $

Another method involves uses GIMP for generating a haldclut which can be converted to a cube lut with a python script. It's not the "easiest" , but it's one of the most accurate free methods if you can get good alignment. Sometimes the DVD version and lines are too "fuzzy" to get good alignment with the high resolution BD scan - that alone can cause problems using this method. Sometimes you need photoshop to align or to correct warp, and a lut usually has to be generated per scene - so it's a PITA. But if you have a problem scene that one of the other methods "fails" on, it could be a good option to fix some problems selectively

Most of the approaches need good alignment, temporal and spatial. Sometimes the BD version has added scenes or corrected warp from the rescan (DVD version often is warped on anime DVD's) , or BD version has different framing (wider FOV) - so you might have to do some edits to match. Some of the methods won't work at all unless you have good alignment
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Oripot View Post
    Hi, I've a question concerning if it's possible to generate a LUT from DVD source to apply to HD material.
    Recently I've found a version online that's better than the three Blu-Rays that I own.
    From what I've read it'a quite well done upscale from the DVD version while the Blu-Rays all have pretty baaaad crushed black levels/detail, the upscale has all these details.
    Just the colors don't pop as much as the original DVD.
    Therefore my question, is there a relatively easy way to generate a LUT comparitvely against the DVD source and adjust colors?

Thanks for your help guys!
    You can colour correct it yourself in resolve or any other editor
    Quote Quote