VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Removed.
    Last edited by jeremyofmany; 13th Jan 2023 at 12:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try reformatting the 4GB HDD. There might be something odd about it.
    Most factory external drives have other software added for backup, etc. that could cause a problem, though unlikely.

Some devices balk at drives more that 2 GBs or so, but you mentioned Samsung says they do work. I would ask that question on a Samsung forum to be sure.

USB 3 does use a different connector, but should still be backwards compatible with USB 2. I have a couple of USB 3 drives and they work fine with USB 2.

I'm also assuming this external drive has it's own power supply if it's a 3.5" drive. USB 2 connections only supply about .5 amp, not enough for most 3.5" drives.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is something redwudz alluded to, but the OP may overlook. To keep costs down, those external drives almost always come in enclosures that lack power supplies. While this should be OK on PCs, on a DVD or BD player, the USB port won't have enough power to run the drive. In fact this problem is so bad and common that I simply won't have an enclosure that doesn't come with a power supply. If your enclosure doesn't have a power supply this is most likely your main problem, but drives over 2 TB in size may have issues being detected correctly on some players via a USB port. Using a powered enclosure gives you the best chance for success.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Removed.
    Last edited by jeremyofmany; 13th Jan 2023 at 12:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't suppose your router has a USB port (or two)? Some of the better ones do, and I've seen as low as $50 bucks for a TPLink router that has it. If by chance you're looking to upgrade your router, that would allow you to share the files on your externals.

But you'd still need to get the TV or standalone player to see your network. The WDTV unit is well thought of. The Roku 3 has a USB port, or you could use it with Plex.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Removed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Removed.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!