VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, not new to this so i kinda know how to capture (transfer) from my miniDV via firewire. However, the way I want to get footage doesn't work too well with my editing program - Magix Movie Edit Pro. I have WinDV but it doesn't do what I want (maybe it does, but I'd need to learn how).

Here's what I want to do. I take footage of my kids' ball games. I go through the video and capture clips I want for the end-of-season highlight video. I want an .avi with audio and video together to drop into my editor. I'd prefer to name each clip but don't have to. I can do this in WMM 9 or whatever version i have but then I have to convert all the clips from type 1 to type 2, etc.

Any advice how to best capture in this way? Could I capture the whole thing in VDub then save outthe clips I want fairly easily, delete the rest?

Thx.
    Quote Quote  
  2. WinDV has the option to capture as type 2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I know that and am more interested in how to capture short clips as I go through the video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use the mark-in and mark-out options in VirtualDub to mark sections, then Save as AVI with Direct Stream Copy for both audio and video.

Or you can use mark-in/mark-out/cut to delete each section you don't want then save what's left.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can set WinDV to create individual AVI files for each 'break', i.e. camera stop recording point, in your DV footage. WinDV will name each clip with the date/time it was shot. The WinDV website has a description on how to set this up. This may be helpful, but you'll still need to find the 'gems' and cull them out. Face it, this kind of project is not easy. It is a lot of work and time consuming; patience here pays off with a much higher quality finished project. Good Luck!

P.S. Or maybe you really want just one huge file out of WinDV; its online instructions will tell you how that set that up too. Your post didn't specifically state the problem(s) you are having with your footage.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as you go through the video have it hooked up to the comp. when you find what you want to capture click start in winDV, click pause when it ends. move the tape to the next clip repeat. as jag said change the "config" in winDV to type 2 if that's the type you want. also set the discontinuity threshold to 0.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote