VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Hello to the owners of the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle, I have a question for you in case you used it to stream videos from its HDMI input or from computer to an external analog device such as a VCR or a TV using its analog outputs.

- My 1st question is, Can the BM IS be used in streaming mode without computer if fed a signal to its HDMI input and still able to converts and outputs that signal to the analog outputs assuming it's powered by an external USB power?
    - My 2nd question if the first answer is NO, Does the BM IS takes the HDMI signal converts it and routes it to its analog outputs as long as it is detected by the computer and Media Express?
    - My 3rd additional question if HDMI is not used is, What type of Video files can the Media Express read from the computer hard drive and able to route them from USB to the analog outputs of the IS?
    Last edited by dellsam34; 27th Feb 2019 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Wow, No one used Intensity Shuttle this way before?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just spent about an hour with my BM Shuttle device and my laptop doing some testing. My conclusions:

The device will NOT function without being hooked up to a computer. The included software is used to configure the settings needed for the device. I connected my digital camera to the hdmi input and my field monitor to the hdmi output and used the computer just to power the device. I got no signal on the monitor. Once I started the software and configured it, I got a signal on the monitor.

I could not test the analog outputs due to not having a proper analog setup. I'd assume it should work, though.

As far as question 3, my understanding from the documentation is that you can load files for playback only; and the software is finicky about what files it will load.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks Brainiac for the tests, I should be fine with option 2, I just hoped That I can use it without computer, But since you confirmed at least one option works I will go ahead and hunt one down.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be extremely careful! This device is very finicky. See here:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1030

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks, I know for a fact some computers such HP all in ones have USB 3.0 problems, My son has one, Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't, But when he reboots the computer everything works fine again, I hope I don't have a problem with one and if I do I have a way to test in several computers if it turns out to be defective device I will have to return it to the seller.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    - My 2nd question if the first answer is NO, Does the BM IS takes the HDMI signal converts it and routes it to its analog outputs as long as it is detected by the computer and Media Express?
    If the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle includes an internal digital to analog converter, I would be very surprised because the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle was one of the first high-quality HD capture devices marketed for video game capture.

The video and audio output connections on every other capture device that I know of which is useful for video game capture are pass-throughs, which means the capture device just splits the incoming video and audio signals internally to supply video and audio through the matching outgoing connection. That makes it possible to hook up a display to use for playing the video games being captured with no perceptible audio or video delay but it also means that HDMI in results in HDMI out only. The device can't also supply component out, S-video-out, or composite out from HDMI input.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    So what those connection are made for then, And why they are listed in the application software list of outputs?
    My intended use of it is HDMI in, analog out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what those connection are made for then,
    The outgoing analog connections on the Intensity Shuttle allow users to connect their TV for monitoring purposes when capturing from a source using the analog inputs on the Shuttle. A video and audio "pass-through" feature on a capture device is desirable because it allows the user view the video output from the source in real time during capture without the delay introduced by the capture software, which is especially important when someone wants to capture video games. The Shuttle's analog connections may also allow users to watch video files containing their captures using a TV with analog connections.

And why they are listed in the application software list of outputs?
    My intended use of it is HDMI in, analog out.
    Perhaps you noticed that the Blackmagic software provided with the Intensity Shuttle is designed to be used with a number of their devices, not just the Shuttle. Some of these devices have connections and capabilities which the Shuttle lacks. For example, the software supports Blackmagic's Teranex products, which are expensive, sophisticated, professional devices, while the Shuttle is one of Blackmagic's less expensive, consumer-oriented devices. It is very likely that some settings provided by that software won't be available selections for the Shuttle. (This is a link to the manual for the current software that I found at Blackmagic's website on the BMI Shuttle's Tech Specs page: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/DesktopVideo/20190114-a90485/Deskto...ideoManual.pdf)

If someone with a Shuttle can verify that it does or doesn't work the way you want, that would be ideal. If not, at least the warning I gave you underscores that it isn't safe to assume that the Shuttle will work as you would like just based on the documentation provided for the software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Mar 2019 at 14:12.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's why I posted this thread hoping for a confirmation before the purchase. I hope someone with analog equipment could confirm this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I decided to look around, and I found a video from 2011 on YouTube that clears things up. It indicates the Intensity Shuttle can provide component video output when the source is connected via HDMI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjsbNpW2uRY
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I've just sent an e-mail to BM support team.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the capturing forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Although the thread is not about capturing its about streaming out of the device but thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Although the thread is not about capturing its about streaming out of the device but thanks.
    johns0 made the right decision. I read the forum description just now and the Video Streaming Downloading forum is for questions about streaming video over a network of some type or questions about capturing the video stream from a website. Your topic doesn't really fit with network-based streaming. Those seeking information about a video capture device most often post in the capturing forum.

For what it is worth, if you don't intend to ever use the Shuttle for A/V capture, there might be a better solution for converting digital A/V input to analog A/V output. There are consumer digital to analog converters which cost less than a Shuttle: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Premium-Quality-Component-Converter/dp/B017LVMAWG/ There are also pro video converter/scalers that cost a good deal more than a Shuttle and can do more too.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Mar 2019 at 11:33. Reason: fix broken link
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I've gone thru several already, Chinese clones that have noise and color problems, to Chinese genuine that almost all have good picture but frame tearing problems, and I tried few pro ones and they have their problems too, I returned what I could return and sold what I couldn't. The latest I have is a Gefen HDMI2Composite It's almost perfect except for one little problem, In NTSC the frame is shifted down by about about 30 lines in 480 total lines, leaving a visible black band on top of the screen. PAL works ok the shift is not noticeable. Went thru 2 firmwares and no fix, the manufacturer said no more firmwares for this device.

I want to try the intensity shuttle next in an effort to have a problem free solution for the workbench. I need a reliable and clean NTSC and PAL analog signals.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. no
    2.yes
    3.no

The BMD IS is mainly for capturing good quality analog video signals,
    the playback function is only meant for the captures

This is not the device you want for your purpouse.

When you Google, there are lots of converters, the question is if they really work, because HDMI also "talks" over a connection....

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-1500548-HDMI-to-Composite-Converter/dp/B018D2OOXA

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-Support-Charging-Laptop/dp/B07F2XB1CJ/ref=pd_...MH2E6BFFR7712A
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 12th Mar 2019 at 17:21.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I've tried a dozen of those Chinese devices they range from acceptable to rippoff, Read my last post. Gefen is the best I've tried so far if it didn't have that bug.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Ok, Finally I solved the problem of having a stable device that streams and converts HDMI to S-Video/Composite for bench testing VCR's, Offcourse with buying more devices but at least now I have a working setup that fits in the palm of the hand with a budget of less than $15 total.

I used a high quality Legacy Aja D4E a SD box that takes a SD SDI digital source and converts it to analog S-Video/Composite, But since my source is SD HDMI I have to convert HDMI to SDI, For that I used a cheap Chinese HDMI to SDI converter, I glued the two boxes together and fed power from the Chinese device to the Aja through holes in the metal boxes since they both use 5V 2A power source, With this setup I've got a crisp clean stable picture that fills the 4/3 frame perfectly with no noise edges or tearing or flicker, Audio is fed directly from the HDMI device to the VCR to be tested. The setup is compatible with both PAL and NTSC, Here is some pictures:

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3492.JPG
Views:	1081
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	49189  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.JPG
Views:	1055
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	49190  

Name:	IMG_3494.JPG
Views:	937
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	49191  

Name:	IMG_3495.JPG
Views:	899
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	49192  

Last edited by dellsam34; 26th May 2019 at 15:42.
    Quote Quote