VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. today a friend of mine got a hi-fi size dvd player/VCD recorder made by Harmony (i see a few makes with the same player). my main question here is this. most people put vcd's on 2 cd's....why? lots can fit on an 80 min cd. this machine fills the first cd until its full then leaves the remainder on a second cd. it also managed to fit jurassic park 3 onto 1 disc!!!!!!!! (VCD). this has me pretty irked as i just shelled out mega bucks to upgrade my pc so as to be able to rip dvd's quickly (and it didnt work much lol) and this little machine will copy a dvd to vcd/svcd in real time onto 74/80 min discs with the same or better quality. anyway, so why do people put movies on 2 cd's when they dont need to? (in a lot of cases)

any takers?

thanks in advance for any input

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burk on 2001-08-29 16:20:06 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most real feature movies are at least 2 hours long, that is 120 minutes. It's kind of hard to put a 120 minute movie on a 80 or 90 minute CD. Only if you break the VCD standard can you get a 2 hour movie on a single CD.

Quote Quote  
  3. As what skittelsen said.

For standard VCDs, just under 80minutes of video fit onto an 80min/700MB CD. There is no mystery around this.

However, most movies except for those few which are very short, will be longer than 80min necessitating two discs.

Furthermore, although you can get quite good quality from hardware realtime recorders, the quality probably still isn't as good as a DVD rip to a good softare MPEG encoder. Also, you can put additional features on a DVD rip like menus, chapters, trailers, etc.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  4. Iīve heard of these recorders and would really like to know exactly how they work. Do they actually record to a cd in realtime?
    What if youre copying a movie and the cd is full in the middle of a scene? That would look pretty ugly.
    Itīs sounds relly cool and easy, but donīt you get better results from a PC-mastered vcd?
    Quote Quote  
  5. the machine pauses (auto) when the vcd/svcd disc is due. the discs are playable on (recent) any pc/vcd player. and the weird thing is that they are a great alternative to vhs, especially as they can encode SVCD and VCD and VHS and anything that is fed into it, including audio......and they can do it on the fly @ 1 x much quicker than a pc strangely and the quality is excellent. anyone say otherwise?

Quote Quote  
  6. So it will pause in the middle of a scene?
    Or do you have to sit and be ready and pause manually at the scene-change?
    Quote Quote  
  7. There have been plenty of reviews on a number of stand-alone S/VCD recorders on the forums. If you search, you will find. Some of the reviews have been favourable. Some haven't.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote