VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone suggest a nice HD Video Camera that's under $7,000?? I've looked at the JVC, but have heard mixed reviews of it and am having trouble finding alternatives.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there are any alternatives... my advice is wait a while for some competition. :\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by HD camcorder? A sony 500 has 930 lines res with 2/3" anamorphic CCDs (albeit well above 7Gs). It's little bro, the 300 has 800 lines res with 1/2" CCDs, but I don't think they're anamorphic. You can still shoot and crop on it with good results. Those can be had for $6k or so.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HD camcorders record true 720p high definition MPEG2 video directly to MiniDV tape. Maybe we'll see a 1080i model some day. Since uncompressed high-def has a bandwidth of something like 1.5gbps, and I don't think there is a DV codec that supports HD, MPEG2 is how it's done. Also, the quality isn't so great, and doesn't come close to pro 720p HD cams like you'd see on Monday Night Football or ESPN-HD Sunday Night Football.

An article about this cam:
    http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/videography/article_4786.shtml

For lots more HD recording info, check out the AVS forum:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=42
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could check with Panasonic, but I'm not sure if they offer what you want.

Whatever you find, I would think more than twice before buying a Philips/BTS/Thomson multimedia/whatever they want to call themselves camera. The broadcast cameras are a little wierd. You also might want to see what Ikegami offers, though I doubt that they have anything priced that low. In that price range you will likely have to choose between JVC and Panasonic, with a possible Sony.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote