VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking to upgrade my current standalone. I have had a MviX 5000R for a few years now and while it does a great job, it really isn't updated anymore and so many other formats are out there now I would like to start using them.
    I'm looking for something I can also transfer files through Wi-Fi as my PC is in another room and having to take the player back and forth to upload content is a bit of a pain.
    I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just a simple player that plays most formats and current codecs. Trying not to spend a whole lot either.

I'm using YPbPr cables right now and if HDMI is possible, I have one more slot on my TV to use. Not needed though.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Western Digital WDTV series may suit you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, "a whole lot" is kind of vague. Your definition and mine might be different. The Western Digital players start at over $100 and go up from that. Other players that meet your needs have similar prices.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the WDTV Live Plus runs about US$100. It doesn't include a hard drive or wireless networking. You can attach an external USB drive and a USB wireless network adapter into the USB ports.

The WDTV Live Hub includes an internal drive and costs about US$200 with a 1 TB drive. It still needs a USB wireless adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By "a whole lot" I was meaning in the few hundred range as I know some can cost around $300 or more.
    I have plenty of HDDs to use. Some sort of built in Wi-Fi would be a plus. If it needs a dongle than so be it I guess but that's just one more expense.
    I'm liking the WDTV models though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Don't forget about the ACRyan Playon HD and the ASUS Oplay. They seem to have the same level of functionality as the WDTV but with extra bits added (WIFI, Disc BAY). Also the Popcorn hour even the Boxee Box or the Zotac Boxes for slightly more money (low price media computers LPMC).
    Look at iboum.com (ignore most / 90%) most of them seem to be non-existent or only available in bogrovia. But the details of the main ones are there. Having a good user community is a big advantage, and that is where the WDTV excels.
    Last edited by RabidDog; 25th Feb 2011 at 00:28.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, there are many different devices. Go to avsforum and see the many threads from owners of the devices:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39
    Quote Quote  
  8. Asus Oplay has wireless and plays anything, much better value than Western Digital for less than $100.
    I got mine open box from Ebay for $70, new is about 90.
    Quote Quote