VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey folks,

forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I'm having a bit of a quandary. I have a sony VCR and TV in one that works perfectly with dozens of tapes. We just got a copy of the 1998 edition of "Merlin" on vhs and when we play it, the picture scrolls up, making the tape unwatchable. I have no idea what's causing this, the VCR plays every other tape we have just fine.

The tape appears to be in good condition, free of mold, isn't wrinkled or anything.

Any ideas how to fix this? any tips appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    PAL tape on NTSC VCR + TV?

Where are you located?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What kind of scroll, can you post a short demonstration? Stretched or shrunk tapes throw the switch point off and the drum can no longer lock on the VBI signal correctly, so a rolling shutter like artifact is all what you get. If that's what you have chances of recovering it are slim to none, No line or frame TBC can recover that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. demetrick
    Hi, did you manage to find a solution?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    No line or frame TBC can recover that.
    Well, supposedly this is exactly one of the artefacts that TBC was supposed to fix since its invention.

Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes TBC's can fix a lot of problems but they can't fix a lot of other problems, If the scroll is due to stretch or shrinkage neither line nor frame TBC can fix that, TBC's have one single frame store, If the problem accumulates more than 2 fields the TBC gives up. I have a tape with such problem and I could not recover it.
    Quote Quote