VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everybody,

I am capturing my VHS/HI8 tapes using the following set-up:

VHS/CAMCORDER == S-VIDEO == PANASONIC DMR-ES10 == S-VIDEO == COMPUTER/VIRTUALDUB

Everything went pretty well with all my VHS tapes, but my HI8 tapes are giving some trouble. For some reason VirtualDub is inserting al lot of frames and the videos don't look smooth at all. This really happens only when I start capturing. When I test the video capture it doesn't show any inserted frames. Also when I capture using the provided software of the capture card it doesn't show any problems. But I want to use VirtualDub off course.

I am missing some adjustment in VirtualDub?
    Last edited by GovertdeKat; 30th Dec 2017 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is framerate from software comes with captured card same as your VHS captured with Virtualdub, or are they different?
    Edit: I mean the capture, that comes bad from virtualdub of course.
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 30th Dec 2017 at 07:58. Reason: EDIT
    Quote Quote  
  3. Disable audio playback in VirtualDub while capturing.
    Use a fast video compression codec like huffyuv while capturing.
    Do not compress audio while capturing.
    Try different settings in Capture -> Timing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The settings of the capture software are the same as VirtualDub as far as I can see. Both capture settings are PAL_B with 25 fps.

I am using the huffyuv as compression now and the audio is not compressed. Also I disabled the audio playback as well as the video playback.

The results are a lot better, but I am still losing some frames.

Can you tell me what I can adjust in de timing settings? My setting are as below:

[Attachment 44216 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try enabling "Do not resync between audio and video streams".

Make sure you are capturing YUY2 or other YUV 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, not RGB.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Turning off the internet connection seems to be the simple solution here. Nore more frames inserted strangly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by GovertdeKat View Post
    Can you tell me what I can adjust in de timing settings? My setting are as below:

[Attachment 44216 - Click to enlarge]
    I don't know of anyone who uses the settings you've shown. Settings also depend on the capture device, for which you've given us zero information. virtualdub capture advanced settings guide.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.
    the audio and video cables, the problem in fact may be these. Measure the tips with a multimeter, they must have 0 ohms (or a close value). if they are on 1 ohm around, believe me, this will cause sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    A 5 years late response that doesn't address the problem Inserted frames has absolutely nothing to do with analog audio cables and their impedance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    A 5 years late response that doesn't address the problem Inserted frames has absolutely nothing to do with analog audio cables and their impedance.
    But ... hmm?
    What if the video card dropped in the absence of any audio input, when a non-timed video input was used?
    That's not the case here (ES10/15) but interesting to think about.

That said, skimming thread quickly, card not mentioned, and OP probably using crap (Easycap, Elgato, whatever). 5 years ago, doesn't matter now.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Even with the absence of analog audio signal the ADC would still produce a digital audio clock, If that's the case capture cards will drop frames every time there is a silence in a video scene, Though the OP is talking about inserted frames not dropped frames.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I do a lot of conversions and use several capture cards, in all cases of inserted frames (even using a tbc) I found dirt, bad contact, deteriorated wire etc causing the problem, I use virtualdub. the problem happened even after about 40 minutes of capture... and didn't stop inserting frames. the possible solutions that I found on the web, did not work, so I decided to post here in the possibility of helping.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You may have fixed the problem in a different way and that coincided with replacing audio cables, Bad USB cables could indeed cause that but never the audio cables.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I state my first post: it was the audio cables, in most of my frame inserting problems. Virtuadub reported high amount of desync on status screen.It was resolved by replacing it with new cables or repair.But I believe this solution would be one of the last to try.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm glad you fixed your problem however analog audio has nothing to do with frame count after the ADC.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed that the latency of the audio passed 300ms ( Sync current error info) and that was how the problems started...Do you have any suggestions that could cause frame inserting ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. An electrical signal in a wire passes at near the speed of light. You would need 90,000,000 meters of cable to get a 300ms delay.

I wouldn't go as far as to say a bad audio cable couldn't cause dropped/added frames. It's always possible there an issue like a ground loop or induced noise that might screw up the video's sync signal. But I think it will rarely be the case.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Aug 2022 at 12:19.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, but if the wire has a resistance of a few ohms it is possible to have a problem with the signal, in my case I had cables with about 3 ohms ... due to internal oxidation.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by eduolfer View Post
    OK, but if the wire has a resistance of a few ohms it is possible to have a problem with the signal, in my case I had cables with about 3 ohms ... due to internal oxidation.
    That would only reduce the volume, and possibly the high frequency response. It would not interfere with the video signal at all. You could use no audio cables at all (~infinite ohms) and there would be no interference with the video, you would just get silent (maybe a little noise) audio.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I completely agree that it does not influence the video, but my observation would be the synchronization of the video with the audio.. the audio would be out of "step" with the video. would my deduction be incorrect my dear ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What you are saying could be possible only if you are messing with the digital transmission such as the USB cable, The ADC can care less what's going on the VCR side, Like Jagabo said it could be a ground loop issue that screwed up the video blanking signal that is responsible on timing the frames, If the capture card senses the absence of the VBI signal it may improvise by inserting the missing frames, Even though this would be a rare occurrence.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by eduolfer View Post
    Yes, I completely agree that it does not influence the video, but my observation would be the synchronization of the video with the audio.. the audio would be out of "step" with the video. would my deduction be incorrect my dear ?
    The audio would not be significantly delayed or advanced by a high resistance cable. The ADC would only see a lower voltage -- which would appear as a lower volume.

If loss of audio signal strength caused sync errors you would have problems any time the audio was very quiet or silent.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Aug 2022 at 21:42.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo. This explanation I understand refers to the internal part of the circuits... in the case of vcr, K7 player etc... technically, the cable impedance would be modified due to the defective cable, that's what I define my diagnosis. In a correct way, I deduce it to be an impedance problem.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Regardless of the impedance the audio ADC will continue sampling at the same frequency. There will be no changes to the sync.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tks, I will try to better understand what I found to solve the problem.
    Quote Quote