VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Widnows 10 computer with a standard SDR monitor. I want to play HDR video files with the most accurate tone mapping/HDR to SDR conversion possible, and read that Potplayer with MadVR is the best option. However, I have installed both Potplayer and MadVR (and set MadVR as the video renderer in Potplayer), but cannot get Potplayer to tone map correctly. Depending on the settings that I try, Potplayer always either makes HDR video look washed out and desaturated or gives everything an odd blue/green hue.

Does anyone know what settings to use in order for Potplayer to play HDR video with the right colors and contrast?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hbenthow View Post
    I have a Widnows 10 computer with a standard SDR monitor. I want to play HDR video files with the most accurate tone mapping/HDR to SDR conversion possible, and read that Potplayer with MadVR is the best option. However, I have installed both Potplayer and MadVR (and set MadVR as the video renderer in Potplayer), but cannot get Potplayer to tone map correctly. Depending on the settings that I try, Potplayer always either makes HDR video look washed out and desaturated or gives everything an odd blue/green hue.

Does anyone know what settings to use in order for Potplayer to play HDR video with the right colors and contrast?
    try to Enable the Direct3D 11 renderer in the potplayer player option - https://min.news/en/digital/6b0cd2570ff73d858d467374cd511b9e.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try to Enable the Direct3D 11 renderer in the potplayer player option - https://min.news/en/digital/6b0cd2570ff73d858d467374cd511b9e.html
    Unfortunately, it didn't help. The image is still washed out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Right click ⇨ Video ⇨ Pixel Shaders ⇨ Enable SMPTE ST 2084/2086 HDR Correction

[Attachment 65804 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
    I already had those enabled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
    I already had those enabled.
    Check if the video renderer is set to 'Auto'.
    If the issue still persists, you need to reset the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
    Check if the video renderer is set to 'Auto'.
    If the issue still persists, you need to reset the settings.
    I've tried it with the video renderer set to "Auto", "Madshi Video Renderer", and "Built-in Direct3D 11 Video Renderer". None fixed the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried resetting the settings to default, but the problem still persists.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not all HDR videos are playable on PC. If your video is Dolby Vision with Profile 5, it cannot be played properly on open source players like mpv, mpc, PotPlayer, etc. Only Dolby Vision enabled devices can deal with it properly.

[Attachment 65809 - Click to enlarge]

Check it out with MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
    Not all HDR videos are playable on PC. If your video is Dolby Vision with Profile 5, it cannot be played properly on open source players like mpv, mpc, PotPlayer, etc. Only Dolby Vision enabled devices can deal with it properly.

[Attachment 65809 - Click to enlarge]

Check it out with MediaInfo.
    It's standard HDR10.

Code:
    Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : HEVC
    Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration                                 : 2 h 4 min
    Bit rate                                 : 19.8 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
    Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
    Bit depth                                : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.100
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    Color range                              : Limited
    Color primaries                          : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
    Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
    Maximum Content Light Level              : 1033 cd/m2
    Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 345 cd/m2
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your case is very weird and exceptional.

Check with other players like MPC-HC, MPC-BE, VLC, mpv, etc. to see if the problem lies in PotPlayer itself. If all other players fail as well, then there's something wrong with the video itself or your hardware/software. Test with other HDR videos to see if it's the video itself. If all HDR videos fail as well, then the problem is something very complicated and not fathomable in this forum. No more clues then.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JKyle View Post

Check with other players like MPC-HC, MPC-BE, VLC, mpv, etc. to see if the problem lies in PotPlayer itself. If all other players fail as well, then there's something wrong with the video itself or your hardware/software. Test with other HDR videos to see if it's the video itself. If all HDR videos fail as well, then the problem is something very complicated and not fathomable in this forum. No more clues then.
    The colors and contrast look correct in VLC and MPC-HC, although the video plays very jerkily. Potplayer plays it smoothly, but with incorrect colors.

I had once gotten a different HDR file to play correctly in Potplayer after tweaking a bunch of settings, but I can't remember exactly what those settings were now. However, those settings were still in effect when I first tried playing the current file, and it already didn't work on that one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JKyle View Post

The colors and contrast look correct in VLC and MPC-HC, although the video plays very jerkily. Potplayer plays it smoothly, but with incorrect colors.

I had once gotten a different HDR file to play correctly in Potplayer after tweaking a bunch of settings, but I can't remember exactly what those settings were now. However, those settings were still in effect when I first tried playing the current file, and it already didn't work on that one.
    Is potplayer using HW acceleration while the others are not?
    mpc-be does the tone mapping right off the bat
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is potplayer using HW acceleration while the others are not?
    That's what I thought might be the case, but it turns out that it's not. They all have hardware acceleration enabled.

mpc-be does the tone mapping right off the bat
    After reading your comment, I downloaded and installed MPC-BE. On the one hand, it not only shows the correct colors but also plays smoothly. On the other hand, it currently doesn't play the audio correctly. It's out of sync with the video, and every few seconds, it goes silent for about a second.
    Last edited by hbenthow; 8th Jul 2022 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote