VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By accident (yes I'm an illiterate also when it comes to shooting with a cam) I found out that not using "auto features" like "SteadyShot", autofocus and so on the quality of the DV footage increases (sometimes quite substantially) resulting in less blockiness when encoding to SVCD (haven't tried VCD but the result should be the same). This is because, at least on my cam, which is a Sony DCR-TRV11E, the SteadyShot uses part of the pixels to compensate for shaking leaving less pixels for what you really is trying to catch. The draw back with not using SteadyShot is, if you don't have the option to use a tripod (very good investment), that you have to be quite steady/make slow movements otherwise the shaking can be quite obvious (but at least less blocky).

There is a forum which deals with the VCD pre step, i.e. DV footage it self, and it can be found at www.dv.com/db_area/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I suppose this is the trade off between steady images and image quality...

Apart from a tripod, you can also buy this handheld balancing system thing that helps removing hand shaking as well.

On more expensive models of Sony camcorders (and presumably other brands too), the "SteadyShot" function uses a physical optical system rather than the electronic system on lower end models. This allows for less shaking without loss of video quality.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  3. My TRV120 has 470kpixels which is more than needed for
    720x480 image. The border area is used for image stabilisation.
    I seriously doubt that they resample the image from the CCD.

I don't say you are wrong, but there is probably another reason for
    quality improvement when stabilisation is not used.
    I will definitely try it.

PS:
    I found that buying 12 hour battery stabilises the
    image - it is so heavy that shaking decreases

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DVman on 2001-07-11 05:56:27 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DVman on 2001-07-11 05:56:50 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVman,

I'm not sure, but I think that this has to do with the various ways Sony does the image stabilisation.

Some models have the oversized CCD whose "border" is used (thus no/minimal loss of quality).

I believe some cheaper Sony models do in electronically only.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-11 05:55:03, DVman wrote:

PS:
    I found that buying 12 hour battery stabilises the
    image - it is so heavy that shaking decreases
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

great tips everyone!! keep it up!!
    Quote Quote