VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have always noticed that TV's struggle with this color as it is the first to sparkle or blur upon degraded reception signals. Now, I've been fighting it during V'Dub encodes for the past 2 years. Its seems to give deinterlacing filters quite a rough time...AVIsynth/decomb in particular. Red objects in motion tend to exhibit very prominent interlacing.

Insight as to why the color red causes this and maybe a suggestion or two as to a filter tweak that might remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Golem
    Quote Quote  
  2. video does not like RED film has no problem with RED but when it's changed to RED problem's start. new TV set's are much better with RED old TV have ton's of problem's with RED
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I could be wrong, but this is mostly a problem with NTSC. PAL is much better with this problem.

I work with Corel Draw/Photopaint to do most of my stills, and they have an option to change the color system to an NTSC compliant color, and I've noticed that it changes the deep reds to more of a red-orange.

I think DVD Lab also introduced an NTSC filter for DVD authoring to deal with this as well.

I could be corrected however.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is an NTSC problem, built into the limitations of the format from inception.

Newer TV's generally do a better job conpensating however. I rarely use the NTSC filters anymore for color for my own personal DVD's, as my TV is able to handle far above the NTSC filter levels without any problem. But unfortunately you have to be careful.

The NTSC color level filters are what you want to use if you are having these problems. They simply adjust the colors to within the allowed range. Photoshop has them for stills, DVD-Lab for menus, and Premiere has them for video, although I am sure other apps do as well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies gentleman!

I will certainly look into the available NTSC filters. I'll have to do some test to see if it aids in the decomb process which is where red generates problems. It seems to hamper the filters ability to calculate what does and does not require decombing. I can see an NTSC filter having an effect if it's implemented prior to the decomb filter but if it is post...well, let me give the filter a looksee.

Btw, this problem is only noted when encoding to PC avi's. Red is never a problem with any of my DVD encodings.

Best Regards,
    Golem
    Quote Quote