VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been trying to interpolate some videos to 60FPS for a while now, and I have had mixed results. I have been using this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAPWqXT5Xg
    )as a "benchmark" of sorts, to compare my results to. So far I have not been able to produce a video that is as good as it.

This is probably the best one I could make so far: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzWDcYRoEEL5EIUAS

I used SVP code to make that video, as the person who made the youtube video I linked said they used SVP.

In my video, the camera panning is very smooth, however the movement of people and objects is not as smooth as it is in the youtube video.

What settings should I be using in SVP code in order to get the same (or better) results as the youtube video?

Also, do I need SVP Code, could I achieve results similar to the youtube video in MEGUI with avisynth?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What was the frame rate of your source? Your 60fps seems to have some duplicate frames, it's no surprise it's not smotth
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    Also, do I need SVP Code, could I achieve results similar to the youtube video in MEGUI with avisynth?
    I can answer that last question. You can achieve better results than SVP using the avisynth filter FrameRateConverter that I'm linking to below.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174793
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    What was the frame rate of your source? Your 60fps seems to have some duplicate frames, it's no surprise it's not smotth
    The source is 30fps, as SVP wouldn't accept the other one which had about 23.9fps, it said it was variable framerate.

Also, the original source of that clip is running at 23.976008fps, but that is in the wrong format. I just opened up handbrake and encoded about 3 seconds of it to mp4 so I could see the framerate then, and after handbrake the framerate is 23.976112 for some reason. I had set handbrake to same as source and constant for framerate.

So the video I made and shared here is originally from a source of 23.976008 fps that was handbraked to 30.

Sorry if I have written that in a confusing way, I am not sure whether it matters if the framerate is exactly double to source. If it is 0.0003fps out, will that make a difference?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    I can answer that last question. You can achieve better results than SVP using the avisynth filter FrameRateConverter that I'm linking to below.

I downloaded it, how would I use it, do I need to use MEGUI?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post

That's what I would do, but there are other AVISynth front-ends as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post

That's what I would do, but there are other AVISynth front-ends as well.
    How do I add it to MEGUI?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Start by removing all the duplicates in your source. Frozen was probably originally 23.976 fps. If you start with 29.97 fps you have one duplicate every five frames. Motion interpolation will see that duplicate as a still section and the frame interpolated between will just be another copy. Animated movies often have character animation at 12 fps to reduce the number of frames that have to be painted. If that's the case here there will be no motion between the duplicates.

Upload a sample of the source you are starting with.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jun 2018 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Start by removing all the duplicates in your source. Frozen was probably originally 23.976 fps. If you start with 29.97 fps you have one duplicate every five frames. Motion interpolation will see that duplicate as a still section and the frame interpolated between will just be another copy. Animated movies often have character animation at 12 fps to reduce the number of frames that have to be painted. If that's the case here there will be no motion between the duplicates.

Upload a sample of the source you are starting with.
    How do I remove duplicates? I can't upload the orignal source as it is very long, so I would have to either upload a huge file or handbrake it. Here is the video info displayed in MediaInfo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzWdJkqCk6tXfP3YP and VLC: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzWgwy5ySv6i_WtB4.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    I can't upload the orignal source as it is very long...
    Of course you can. You cut a section out. 10 seconds will be plenty, from a section with steady movement. However, if it's really supposed to be 23.976fps, interpolating frames to 59.94 is just silly, especially if it's animation. Doing what the guy did in the YouTube video is stupid, in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Animated movies often have character animation at 12 fps to reduce the number of frames that have to be painted.
    Maybe in the good old days, but Frozen was computer animated.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Animated movies often have character animation at 12 fps to reduce the number of frames that have to be painted.
    Maybe in the good old days, but Frozen was computer animated.
    I realize it was computer animated and I used the word "painted" rather liberally. Still, it would not surprise me of parts of the animation were rendered at 12 fps. Or that many shots were sped up (deciamted frames) or slowed down (duplicate frames) after animating them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    How do I remove duplicates?
    You can use TDecimate() (assuming simply a duplicate every 5 frames). If your source is really 29.97 fps use something like:

Code:
    WhateverSource()
    TDecimate()
    super=SVSuper("{gpu:0}") # or 1 if you have GPU support
    vectors=SVAnalyse(super, "{}")
    svp = SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{rate:{num:5, den:2, algo:2}}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=1) # 23.976 fps to 59.94 fps
    Or with FrameRateConverter():

Code:
    WhateverSource()
    TDecimate()
    FrameRateConverter(blksize=8, NewNum=60000, NewDen=1001) # anything to 59.94 fps
    Both your stats reports showed the video as 23.976 fps. How are you getting 29.97 fps?

If this type of motion interpolation worked perfectly I would like it. But it doesn't, especially with animated material. The youtube video you linked to is full of distracting artifacts. FrameRateConverter() is a little better at avoiding weird motion artifacts but I still wouldn't use it.

And don't upload VFR encodings for analysis. It makes the video more difficult to deal with.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jun 2018 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Of course you can. You cut a section out. 10 seconds will be plenty, from a section with steady movement. However, if it's really supposed to be 23.976fps, interpolating frames to 59.94 is just silly, especially if it's animation. Doing what the guy did in the YouTube video is stupid, in my opinion.
    What program should I use to do this, I can't use hanebrake astit changes the framerate and I can't use any video converter as it doesn't work with the file.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    How do I remove duplicates?
    You can use TDecimate() (assuming simply a duplicate every 5 frames). If your source is really 29.97 fps use something like:

Code:
    WhateverSource()
    TDecimate()
    super=SVSuper("{gpu:0}") # or 1 if you have GPU support
    vectors=SVAnalyse(super, "{}")
    svp = SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{rate:{num:5, den:2, algo:2}}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=1) # 23.976 fps to 59.94 fps
    Or with FrameRateConverter():

Code:
    WhateverSource()
    TDecimate()
    FrameRateConverter(blksize=8, NewNum=60000, NewDen=1001) # anything to 59.94 fps
    Both your stats reports showed the video as 23.976 fps. How are you getting 29.97 fps?

If this type of motion interpolation worked perfectly I would like it. But it doesn't, especially with animated material. The youtube video you linked to is full of distracting artifacts. FrameRateConverter() is a little better at avoiding weird motion artifacts but I still wouldn't use it.

And don't upload VFR encodings for analysis. It makes the video more difficult to deal with.
    I am not very experienced with MEGUI, how do I add these to it? I am not not sure what to do with the files from the Framerate converter zip file?

The original source is 23.976008.

The original source shouldn't have duplicate frames, as it is the movie itself, it hasn't been converted. The problem is I can't out that put that file in SVP for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I don't use megui. I create scripts with Notepad and open them in an editor/encoder. Usually virtualDub to verify the script is delivering what I expect, then the x264 command line encoder, sometimes with the qwvencc encoder. But I believe you can just open AviSynth scripts with megui.

The original source shouldn't have duplicate frames, as it is the movie itself
    I have no idea what you mean by that. Post a MediaInfo report of all the details.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't use megui. I create scripts with Notepad and open them in an editor/encoder. Usually virtualDub to verify the script is delivering what I expect, then the x264 command line encoder, sometimes with the qwvencc encoder. But I believe you can just open AviSynth scripts with megui.

The original source shouldn't have duplicate frames, as it is the movie itself
    I have no idea what you mean by that. Post a MediaInfo report of all the details.
    Didn't the duplicate frames come from me encoding it?
    Here is the info for the original file:
    MediaInfo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzWtYaogMh2D5Bk9X
    VLC: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzWyBjY1XUNtCuzcX

I assume I could type the scripts into the avs script creator windows in megui, but does framerateconverter need to be installed, or will megui know what it is. I tried opening the script file, but it is a .avsi fie not a .avs file.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzW7zaE4WHtzhdalD

I used MPEG streamclip, however, according to VLC, the framerate of that clip is 23.976216, despite the original which I cut it from being 23.976008.
    Quote Quote