VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just now I was converting some 704 x 576 letterboxed DVD. I cut off 74 pixels' worth of black bar top and bottom. I also wanted to remove 4 pixels on the left. I did this with Custom settings.

It was all cut off nicely when I played back the resulting file. But the dimensions were 704x430 instead of 700x428. Is there a reason for this?

I did notice, when setting the custom cropping, that on the same tab, "Size: Width" didn't adjust with it. But because this also said "Source" just above, I left this.

So did it somehow crop and then slightly resize again? And does that mean that to truly crop, I should manually set both the cropping AND the width?

It may not be directly visible, but I guess cropping and resizing may cost a tiny bit of quality, more than just cropping would (based on how this would work with pictures). Or is that nonsense? Input appreciated - Thanks.
    This is nøt å signåture.™
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think when you crop, HandBrake lets you resize back up to the original width and it only automatically resizes the height. It assumes you picked the width. So when you cropped, if you didn't change the width yourself it probably would have stayed at 704 while Handbrake adjusted the height.

You used anamorphic encoding, yes? If so, I'd assume it was the "anamorphic loose" option? It lets you resize. The "anamorphic none" option is the no-resizing method. You crop, and it'll encode what's left, as-is.

It'll display the original resolution (704x576) above the "resize area" which I think will be greyed out. It'll also show the display size, but not the new resolution. However the height of the "display size" should be the same as the original height, minus cropping. ie 428
    So anamorphic strict probably would have showed something like 998x428 as the display size, but encoded at a 700x428 resolution.

That's how I remember it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I think when you crop, HandBrake lets you resize back up to the original width and it only automatically resizes the height. It assumes you picked the width. So when you cropped, if you didn't change the width yourself it probably would have stayed at 704 while Handbrake adjusted the height.

You used anamorphic encoding, yes? If so, I'd assume it was the "anamorphic loose" option? It lets you resize. The "anamorphic none" option is the no-resizing method. You crop, and it'll encode what's left, as-is.

It'll display the original resolution (704x576) above the "resize area" which I think will be greyed out. It'll also show the display size, but not the new resolution. However the height of the "display size" should be the same as the original height, minus cropping. ie 428
    So anamorphic strict probably would have showed something like 998x428 as the display size, but encoded at a 700x428 resolution.

That's how I remember it.
    Oh thanks, that makes a lot more sense. Some settings simply didn't mean that much to me (yet?), like the anamorrphic, and also the modulus.
    It could also be "anamorphic: strict" maybe? Because that greys out the width & height.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry, I thought I typed what I meant, or meant to type something different..... I described it wrong. Sorry.

I should have said anamorphic strict in the second paragraph. That's what I was referring to. To hopefully clarify:

Anamorphic Strict = anamorphic encoding, resizing disabled. The Input resolution (it's also referred to as storage aspect ratio) after cropping = output resolution (storage aspect ratio). Pixel aspect ratio same as source.

Anamorphic Loose = anamorphic encoding with resizing. If you don't resize (input and output resolution identical), it's effectively the same as anamorphic strict. If you resize, the output storage aspect ratio (resolution) changes, so in order for the "display aspect ratio" to remain correct (picture not stretched or squished) the pixel aspect raio is adjusted (Handbrake takes care of that).

Anamorphic none = resizing to square pixels (the definition of anamorphic in this context is any video with non-square pixels). Handbrake will adjust the height to match the chosen width. The lower the modulus value, the more accurately it can resize.
    I recall a cropping oddity where if you crop manually, Handbrake doesn't automatically adjust the height accordingly, even when the option is checked. I think if you manually crop, un-checking and re-checking the automatic resizing option, or disabling and re-enabling the resizing, gets Handbrake to resize correctly. It may not be like that anymore, but I thought I'd mention it.

Anamorphic custom = The user can specify both resizing and pixel aspect ratio. It's the mess it up completely unless you know what you're doing" anamorphic option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No worries, it steered me in the right direction.
    So thank you. Now I can avoid an unnecessary resize of a few pixels. (Maybe I'm overly worried; I didn't see any negative effects that were directly visible.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Because a couple of players in this house ignore MKV/MP4 aspect ratios, I gave up and started resizing to square pixels. For 16:9 PAL I seem to have settled on 960x540. Technically 1024x576 would be better (cropping aside), but I can rarely see a difference when they're both unscaled on playback to fill the TV screen. I don't think Handbrake lets you resize "up" but Vidcoder does.

The fun part is if I use a sharpish resizer when encoding (usually AVISynth's Spline36Resize), to me 960x540 looks better running fullscreen on my TV than an anamorphic encode, and sometimes also a tad better than the the original DVD. The differences are mostly subtle (I don't like sharpening as a rule and I rarely use a sharpening filter), but I made quite a few comparison encodes at one stage and the resized up version kept winning. And as a side effect of that, I don't stress anywhere near as much about doing things "correctly" as I once did.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!