VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I recently got a DVD from eBay which I was looking for a long time (an old kung fu movie). Long story short, this DVD is for region 2; PAL system. Of course, i could not play that on my DVD player. Then, I tried decrypting it with DVD decrypt and saving it on HD; then burning it; again it did not play. I even tried 1ClickDVD Copy and revomed the protection and reburned; again no luck.

What am I doing wrong...??? Any suggestions..?? Thanks to all in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that even after ripping the DVD and removing the region 2 restriction, the dvd is still PAL format and your dvd player doesnt understand how to playback this format. Either you may be able to find a hack on this website to enable PAL playback or you can buy a PAL/NTSC/Region Free DVD player.
    Your TV is NTSC but your DVD is PAL and the dvd player you have does nto know how to read the PAL encoded material and output the expected NTSC signal to the TV. DVD players are cheap and your better off buying a PAL capable dvd player than trying to reencode the DVD from PAL to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure it is PAL ? Region 2 covers the UK (PAL) and Japan (NTSC), so it might be region 2 NTSC.

However if it is PAL, I agree that the quality and simplicity of getting a better player far outweighs the effort required to convert manually.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to try my guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=300144

Good Luck !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to dvdshrink 3.2 and rip and shrink and change from r-2 to r-1. then open up nero vision express and it will convert the movie for you and even change the pal to ntsc. when asked, please read carefully about pal and it will do just fine and you can even add a menu if you want. In dvd shrink, use the movie only mode. I have used this methods many times and it works just fine.
    Lawrence Johnson
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just convert the vobs to an mpeg2 file. Then, use ConvertXtoDVD to convert it from PAL to NTSC. It's a quick and easy method I use. If you want to remove subtitles or unnecessary soundtracks, then run it through DVDShrink first then, convert the vobs to an mpeg2 file. The quality usually comes out pretty good provided your source material is really good quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, either of FulciLives' methods are better than running it through nero or convertxtoDVD. Considering it's a kung-fu flick, I'm sure it won't be of the best quality to begin with and I don't know how satisfied you'll be with the output from either of the 2 methods listed above... no offense to the posters who suggested them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ah...FulciLives, the man I wanted to confer with. I have used your TMPGenc based process before; but everytime I get one error and it renames the file with ".bad" extension. Secondly, none of the files.. the mpeg or the d2v file created can be opened with the program as u have suggested in ur guide. Any suggestions..?? Thanks again, and thanks to all..!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. but everytime I get one error and it renames the file with ".bad" extension.

I take it you're talking about the DGIndex step? It creates 2 D2Vs; the "good" normal one that you use, and the "bad" one that you don't use. What's the problem?

Secondly, none of the files.. the mpeg or the d2v file created can be opened with the program as u have suggested in ur guide.

I don't use TMPEGEnc, so he may have to help. Are you using an up-to-date version of DGIndex? And are you using the same version of TMPGEnc as he is for the guide (TMPGEnc Plus 2.5x )?
    Quote Quote