VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Trying to capture VHS tapes...some of them are ok,some have partially distortions/jumpings on the screen.
    Have cleaned heads, tapes but the effect is similar on both VHS players Iīve tried.
    Is there any way to rid of those things? How? Should I ev.look for any other players?
    What causes that issue?
    Attaching AVI few secs vid.
    Any help appreciates-donīt want to go too much of a work before problem is fixed.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have been a member since 2014 yet I fail to understand that you do not (apparently) understand about Time Base Correction (TBC).
    Quote Quote  
  3. First of all-to be member certain time doesnīt mean you participate in forum every day constantly.
    Secondly-I wanted to be sure that this is TBC issue,thatīs why my question.
    So reasuming-such error will occur all the time as long as I run tapes on average vhs player,yes?
    The only solution is trying find a player with TBC function? Not many such machines on the market...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    This artifact is called flagging and indicates a tension problem on recording or playback, or possibly physical shrinkage of the tape. Wind the tape-end-to-end a couple of times to retension it. A TBC would most likely fix it, for example a Panasonic DMR ES-10 or ES-15 or a DataVideo TBC-1000.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I did rewinded tapes many times but some issues stand still. Seems like all those devices with TBC function are quite unik and very expensive.
    I just simply donīt want make any mistakes as it happened to my friend. She has sent few tapes to "professional" company she found on the net. They made convertion but obviously did not consider very much about TBC,since many of her family films look approx. like mine in this attached clip. I simply donīt think they made good job! Today anybody can convert vhs to digital but good vhs player is a must.
    With one word- so there are no players today what can do the job properly exept old machines. Iīm trying to understand why is that so if technics improve all the time but some problems canīt be solved today.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Miramar239 View Post
    Iīm trying to understand why is that so if technics improve all the time but some problems canīt be solved today.
    Because there is no market for new, improved VCRs. It's a dead technology. So go to eBay and pick up a used ES-15 for under $100. It will most likely solve this flagging problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Not all conversion businesses know what they are doing, Most of them are just doing it for a quick buck with a $20 VCR and a Chinese easycap, If the price is so cheap chances are you are dealing with one of those guys.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you guys for replies.
    @JVRaines...I live in Europe so all VCRs u mentioned are probably not actual for me.I need PAL system.
    So the only option is those I presume:

Panasonic AG-1980 (NTSC) = NV-FS200 (PAL)

Panasonic NV-HS1000 (PAL)

Panasonic NV-HS950 (PAL)
    A bit expensive but it can be worth every penny.
    Canīt find any other models which would correspond to job they should do.
    Is it any differencies between them-from that POV- will they do proper job no matter which I get lucky to purchase?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Miramar239 View Post
    @JVRaines...I live in Europe so all VCRs u mentioned are probably not actual for me.I need PAL system.
    I did not mention any VCRs. I am recommending a DVD recorder to be used as a filtering device. Search this forum and you will find a lot of information on how to use it. The Panasonic DMR-ES15 comes in a PAL version.
    Quote Quote