VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We have several Panasonic A07 burners that have quit working over the last 2 or 3 years and hard to find the same replacements anymore. I checked locally and no one repairs them here. Is it feasible to try to repair them and if so where?

We do weddings, family gatherings, etc and the A07 drives in the duplicator goes out every so often and I just put the last drive we had in. The controller is an 8X Wytron 3000 and don't know if I bought one of the new 16X drives if it would work or not.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.
    aldo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Considering the price of DVD drives at present, I would at least try a newer drive first instead of trying to repair the older ones. This page from Wytron lists some compatible drives if it's the correct model: http://www.wytron.co.uk/wytron_dvd3000.htm

The controller doesn't seem to be too particular, judging from that list.

BTW, did you mean a Pioneer A07?

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes did mean pioneer instead of panasonic. I'm not exactly a hardware genius but unfortunately the only thing like one at our place. I just wasn't sure if the 16X drives would work with the controller or with the 8X drives already in place. Guess will have to get one and try.
    Thanks
    aldo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you may need to replace all the drives with the same model. most duplicators need them to be all identical. try one, like the pioneer 115, alone and see if it works. if it does buy lots of extras repairing burners isn't easy or as cheap as replacing them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The newer burners should work OK. If the controller only worked for 1X drives, there might be a problem. But it seems modern enough at 8X.

And it's getting harder to find 8X DVD media. You may not be able to burn at 16X with your controller, but a 16X burner should be better equipped to work with the more common 16X media out there, even at 8X burning speed.

Your AO7's, even with updated firmware are a bit behind the times with some of the newer DVD media available, and you may have some problem with those drives in the future as the available media keeps changing.

Since you have Pioneer drives, I would consider using the same brand for replacements. They still make a good burner. I wore out a couple of A07's myself. One model that's popular at present is the Pioneer DVR-112D 18X10X6X8X IDE/ATAPI DVD+/-RW Drive. About $28US most places.

EDIT: aedipuss makes a good point I hadn't considered. Not that knowledgeable about duplicators. But I would still try one. At the current prices, you could probably replace them all for a reasonable price. After all, the most important part of this all is that they work. Lost time can be more expensive than new burners.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks much everyone. I'll try the pioneer ya'll mention and you bet I'll stock up when I find what works. We originally had three extra A07's when we started with this 9 burner duplicator and have finally used the last of them. If one fails now I don't have anything to back it up.
    Again, thanks everyone for all the info.
    aldo
    Quote Quote