VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    ...also h.264/265 will outlast MPEG-2 for sure.
    I am less sure about that than you are given that there is so much commercially produced and consumer-generated MPEG-2 video already in existence.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by jwillis84; 26th Jul 2022 at 07:55.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by jwillis84; 26th Jul 2022 at 07:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    ...also h.264/265 will outlast MPEG-2 for sure.
    I am less sure about that than you are given that there is so much commercially produced and consumer-generated MPEG-2 video already in existence.
    I think he's correct here.
    MPEG-2 will surely have longevity for decades more, but H.264 with have at least the same longevity, and displaced by at least 15 years further down the road. H.264 is also now far more ubiquitous than MPEG-2 ever was.

Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
    unorthodox line decoders instead of frame decoders.. and performing the sync recovery and time correction entirely in software.
    You failed to mention it was all by hand, not an automatic process.

Its funny to watch people.. go.. "you can't, you can't, you can't" .. and then "they do".
    The usual culprit is cherry picking info, using wrong info, glossing over details. You have to know enough about the topic to see who's BS'ing you, and who doesn't actually understand what's what. You clearly reference vhs-decode here, and some of the project cheerleaders often betray themselves as lacking in video knowledge. It's easy to be fooled when you're (innocently) a fool yourself. The more knowledgeable users, devs, observers, see what's what. Interesting, but still manual(ish) and imperfect.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by jwillis84; 26th Jul 2022 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What happened Jwillis? you deleted your posts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The EDV-9500 is a great machine but the DOC on those is very ancient compared to modern VHS JVC machines, Take a look at this screen shot that I recently captured from a similar machine (EDV-7300) and look at the noise line due to tape drop outs, I don't know how it works but it certainly doesn't use neighboring lines like modern DOC's.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ED Beta III TV Commercials Vol. 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	850.8 KB
ID:	66138  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It even does not look like a regular drop-out… or it has been altered in a strange way, regular drop outs are thicker, and have a more random thickness over the length…
    there's also a random pattern bar just above that, there isn't a device that radiates RF interferrence ? like a Plasma screen ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. What happened to jwillis84
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    VHS can look excellent when not badly transferred.
    Partially true. You ain't gonna et good quality video from an SLP tape
    Isn't it so, if you have a noise pattern in the original recording, and your capture device adds a noise pattern,
    the resulst will be like the moiré-effect ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    It even does not look like a regular drop-out… or it has been altered in a strange way, regular drop outs are thicker, and have a more random thickness over the length…
    there's also a random pattern bar just above that, there isn't a device that radiates RF interferrence ? like a Plasma screen ?
    RF drop outs range from a portion of line (in digital we call few pixels) to several lines, no not random. Yes de-interlacing may have altered its look little bit.

The other noise patterns are interference noise, not sure how the tapes were recorded or from where they were recorded, I got those ED Beta tapes with the machine when I bought it. But it could be anything, bad TV transmission, RF appliance noise, bad and unshielded cables ...etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recently i picked up a VHS vcr a cheap version (@thrift) out of the JVC range, and it does very strange things with noise bars, or when tracking, it's kind of blocky pattern…. real strange..
    It's a shame Betamax did not go through, There a lots of VHS vcr's with different features, or qualities you would not expect.
    I've about 9 vcr's mostly JVC's and a few odd ones like Sharp, LG and Philips, and they differ a lot from each other, only one stands out .. a Panasonic, which i use most of the time.
    I guess Sony would be best for the Betamax "camp" ? there were still a lot of them ? but not many are now at thrift stores, construction was bad ?
    Quote Quote