VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone manage to get rid of or reduce the blending in this source?

Here are 2 untouched sample videos. (Can get others if needed)

https://mega.co.nz/#!V55gXCja!qpAWLQAeqVpdMoGSu4Cxm1lfKNdwOmqsM6YjDdIHl8I

https://mega.co.nz/#!wo4CUThQ!S1SmlNQwxQTYXYs8WM3mUtBW-Yi20BrNN0rkFo5AC8Q

I cant seem to get rid of it with srestore()
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a tad fed up with srestore, I've had too many instances of it removing unblended frames so it can keep the clearly blended one in the middle recently. No settings I've tried have helped.

But, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing better around.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    I'm a tad fed up with srestore, I've had too many instances of it removing unblended frames so it can keep the clearly blended one in the middle recently. No settings I've tried have helped.

But, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing better around.
    I haven't noticed it giving me trouble before, but I have noticed once in a while a blended frame still remains when I used it in the past. It still did a fair job overall and perhaps I didn't use it the best it could be used settings wise.

But with this source, the blending is in it with or without srestore() and in the same places as when not using srestore() it seems. It's not just every so many frames either, it seems to be almost every other frame when there's movement involved. I'm beginning to wonder if it even can be removed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you think trying to convert the video framerate to NTSC 23.976fps would help remove them better than leaving it at it's PAL framerate and using srestore?

perhaps something like this?

srestore()
    assumefps(24000,1001)
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 15th Oct 2015 at 16:10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Do you think trying to convert the video framerate to NTSC 23.976fps would help remove them better than leaving it at it's PAL framerate and using srestore?

srestore()
    assumefps(24000,1001)
    The AssumeFPS() would have no effect on the performance of SRestore(). If you want SRestore() to output 23.976 fps you should specify it as an argument: SRestore(frate=23.976).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Do you think trying to convert the video framerate to NTSC 23.976fps would help remove them better than leaving it at it's PAL framerate and using srestore?

srestore()
    assumefps(24000,1001)
    The AssumeFPS() would have no effect on the performance of SRestore(). If you want SRestore() to output 23.976 fps you should specify it as an argument: SRestore(frate=23.976).
    Hmmmm, I've always used srestore to reduce blending, then used assumefps to change the framerate afterwards if I wanted to make a PAL source more like an NTSC one. I never tried it like that before. I'll try the way you mentioned next time I use it like that.

I gave it a try the way you mentioned and neither the way I asked about, nor the way you mentioned seems to have fixed the samples blending really.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Hmmmm, I've always used srestore to reduce blending, then used assumefps to change the framerate afterwards if I wanted to make a PAL source more like an NTSC one.
    Doing it your way, SRestore() will still output 25 frames for each second of video. Using AssumeFPS() after SRestore() will keep all 25 frames but stretch the running time by ~4 percent. Using SRestore(frate=23.976) SRestore() will output 23.976 fps and the running time will not be changed. Ie, it will remove ~1 more (hopefully blended) frame each second.

Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I gave it a try the way you mentioned and neither the way I asked about, nor the way you mentioned seems to have fixed the samples blending really.
    I think that video has too much blending. Some of the original film frames never even appear in the video without blending. So SRestore() will not be able to restore it to only unblended frames.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Jul 2015 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just recently heard about changefps() and that it removes frames

would that work any better than srestore(frate=23.976)

They sound like they do about the same thing.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 15th Oct 2015 at 16:12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I just recently heard about changefps()

would that work any better than srestore(frate=23.976)
    No.
    They sound like they do about the same thing.
    They don't.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ChangeFPS() uses simple decimation to reduce the frame rate. It doesn't know or care if frames are blended or not. So you will be left with lots of blended frames. SRestore() tries to identify and discard only blended frames , hopefully leaving you with all clean frames.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had some interesting results using a triple-stacked tfm() to remove blurs.

The video in question was 8mm film converted to VHS, and the VHS tape was badly degraded.

I'm not really concerned with the duped frames, as the goal of the restoration was to make it viewable, closer to film quality, viewed on HDTV.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote