VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So im looking to get a new graphics card as ive been having problems with the the one i have, i have a gtx 1050 2gb atm, for a long time i didnt realize the fans didnt really move unless i got a msi afterburner and that got then going and one day the pc crashed when i started to play far cry 5 and then noticed the card was roasting and i had to let it cool down before it would restart, but it didnt play far cry 5 again, it kept crashing when it loaded but had worked for months without any problems, i had to use the on board graphics radeon r7 they werent great but i got to play the game, think the card was already on its way out at that point, the last couple of weeks its been giving me a black or white screen, just when ive been surfing the web, so that got me looking at radeon cards, ive always bought nvidia geforce cards, cause they were easier to work out, but they are quite expensive atm, so ive been looking at radeon rx 570/580 8gb, they are generally new and should play most games that i want to play, and are about £150 ish, you would get a 4/6gb gtx card for that price

so does anyone have any of the cards im looking at and what is the best one to get, ive only ever used radeon r7 on board, but they work fine, radeon vega are a bit to expensive at the moment.

thanks in advance for any info about the cards
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would wait to see what AMD's Navi has to offer, especially at the low end. From what I have read, it seems to me to be a more exciting release than Zen 2 (which I think isn't going to be that exciting at all).

NVIDIA is just way too expensive, the cheapest RTX costs about $350, I for one refuse to pay that kind of money for any one single piece of computer hardware, unless I was making money from using it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    NVIDIA is just way too expensive, the cheapest RTX costs about $350
    Why limit Nvidia to RTX while at the same time recommending AMD who don't offer hardware raytracing? Nvidia has GTX 1650/1660/1660 Ti. (GTX 1660 Ti is a very nice card, IMHO.)

The new AMD cards will launch as RTX 2060/2070 competitors starting at $379. I don't know how long OP wants to wait. In his price range he will probably be fine today with either RX 580/GTX 1060/GTX 1660. In the end you get what you pay for but the gaming performance differences aren't too exciting. Both AMD and Nvidia cover the whole range. Nvidia has much better power draw and video decoding/encoding, though, so I would probably still prefer Nvidia.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Why limit Nvidia to RTX while at the same time recommending AMD who don't offer hardware raytracing? Nvidia has GTX 1650/1660/1660 Ti. (GTX 1660 Ti is a very nice card, IMHO.)

The new AMD cards will launch as RTX 2060/2070 competitors starting at $379. I don't know how long OP wants to wait. In his price range he will probably be fine today with either RX 580/GTX 1060/GTX 1660. In the end you get what you pay for but the gaming performance differences aren't too exciting. Both AMD and Nvidia cover the whole range. Nvidia has much better power draw and video decoding/encoding, though, so I would probably still prefer Nvidia.
    The hardware ray tracking isn't that big a deal to me, I don't really care about the video cards gaming capabilities as much as I do about its compute, rendering and video capabilities, and its in this last area that I think Navi will give NVIDIA all it can handle.

In fact, based on the video specs I have seen, albeit relatively sparse, the thing I am most excited about is AMD APUs that use Zen 2 cores and Navi graphics parts, when they are finally released. I think these are going to be little gems, making for a cheap but capable video editing rig.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adamf154, I'd start here if you are looking for the best performance in gaming per $. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    AMD who don't offer hardware raytracing?
    Ray tracing isn't well supported on most games, and it's pretty much only available at the high end. The RTX 2080 can play Quake 2 with raytracing @80fps 1080p, I can only imagine what the RTX 2060 can even do.

Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    The hardware ray tracking isn't that big a deal to me, I don't really care about the video cards gaming capabilities as much as I do about its compute, rendering and video capabilities
    OP cares about the gaming though...
    Quote Quote  
  6. [QUOTE=sneaker;2553298]
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    In his price range he will probably be fine today with either RX 580/GTX 1060/GTX 1660. In the end you get what you pay for but the gaming performance differences aren't too exciting. Both AMD and Nvidia cover the whole range. Nvidia has much better power draw and video decoding/encoding, though, so I would probably still prefer Nvidia.
    this is prob about it, i dont really want to spend that, but i want a card that will last 2/3 years or more and play the latest games, so getting a newer 6gb nvidia or an 8gb radeon means that i should be able to get one that will last and play the latest games, if the gtx 1050 wasnt faulty i wouldnt be looking atm, but i have just bought a ryzen 7 1700 and i need a graphics card to go with it as there is no on board
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still rocking 2GB on a RX 460 card for CSGO, Rust, Fortnite, Kerbal @1080p. I wouldn't be spending extra money to get 8GB RAM on a 570/580. Maybe if you were going for a 1080 it might be worth but at these budget cards it's a waste of money. But if you find a good price, have at it, but it will go mostly unused above GB.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I had better luck with AMD myself. Last NVIDIA card I bought lasted less than a year with very little stress. I currently use an RX 560 with 4GB.
    Quote Quote