VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler that’s about 2 years old. I believe they are guaranteed for five years. I don’t currently have any cooling problems but I was wondering how does one know when is a good time to replace such a cooler without waiting for the CPU to shut down. I was thinking perhaps running my Core Temp program periodically and keeping track of the core temperatures and when they start to increase, replace the cooler. I suppose the easiest way is to just replace it every five years. It’s currently listed on Amazon for $64. Currently under minimal load my temps are 25-27C. I have an i7700K not overclocked
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fans usually get noisy as the bearings start failing. vacuum out the dust as frequently as you remember and temps should stay down
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your load temps are very low. I doubt you need a CPU cooler replacement.

If the cooler is working properly, it doesn't normally need replacement unless the fan is noisy or failing.

The fan and cooler also may need cleaning if the temps are on the high side, along with the rest of the PC's internals.
    I normally run the PC a while, then unplug it and remove the cooler. (Easier to do it while it's warm.

Then using cosmetic pads lightly saturated with 91% isopropyl alcohol, I clean all the fan surfaces and any other items that seem dusty.
    I would also replace the thermal compound on the cooler with some new compound.
    It does dry out and harden after a while and become less efficient. Isopropyl alcohol cleans it off also.

You might also want to check the bottom of the CPU cooler with a straight edge. They do warp with time, especially the aluminum ones.
    I use 1200 Grit wet or dry sandpaper to check for flatness. If it's bowed, then start with some 400 grit to level and finish with the 1200 grit.
    Apply new thermal compound and you're done.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As long as the fan works, don't make a lot of noise and you keep dust out you should be fine.
    The cooler itself doesn't break down or wears out, only the fan has a life span
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Next time I will buy a CPU cooler I will get one with a standard fan that can be replaced. In case it either fails or I need a more quiet one.
    Quote Quote