VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The title may be a bit misleading.

What I want to know is this:

If I hook my Liteon 5115 up to my satellite receiver via it's composite video input and to my Samsung plasma via component input, will the playback of what I am recording be in progressive scan? I mean the throughput of the video being recorded. I can set the component output to progressive scan.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see that I have had no replies yet, so I think that I may have phrased the question wrong.

When I had my LIteon connected to my old CRT via composite video, I had 480i coming from my receiver into the liteon and out to the TV. Now, I have the Liteon connected to the satellite receiver via composite and out to the TV via component (480i in and ??? out). The output of the liteon is set for Progressive Scan, so I know that I'm getting 480p from commercial DVD's. But does the liteon upgrade the incoming video to 480p?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a dvd recorder with video input?

You can not get progressive from composite video. You must use component or hdmi to get progressive and only if said player actually says progressive and progressive is selected if it is a menu choice (though it should be automatically 480p but not always I imagine on some quirkier players).

Are you asking this because you do not have enough available component inputs on your tv?

If that is the case you can buy a/b switchers with component jacks on them. They should be relatively inexpensive these days since hdmi came out. You can get models with at least four source inputs and one output. Though this is for video and analog audio only of course. You'll need separate switches for multiple digital audio via fiber optic or digital coaxial to your surround sound receiver.

Edit - also is your crt tv a hdtv? Or is it an edtv that can do 480p and nothing higher?

Generally the player or the tv will do the upconverting. Are you asking if the liteon is upconverting the satellite picture? I dont' believe it would be doing that. If the satellite receiver is not producing a progressive signal by component or hdmi I do not believe you'll get true progressive output by feeding it to a dvd recorder and then to the tv (or vice versa, not sure which way exactly your going).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too clear up a couple of things:

TV -- Samsung 42" plasma -- 2 component inputs, 2 hdmi (one component can be switched to composite)

Component input 1 -- connected to RCA DVD Player
    Component input 2 -- Connected to Liteon DVD Recorder
    Hdmi 1 -- Connected to Satellite Receiver

Liteon connected via composite input (only way) to receiver -- output from receiver 480i via composite.

Liteon set to progressive scan output over component.

Question: (still) Is the output of anything that I am recording and monitoring been changed to 480p form the 480i that is being imputed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If by monitoring you mean simply watching directly from the satellite receiver to the tv then yes. If the satellite is being fed to the liteon which is composite only than I don't believe it is truly being upconverted. However there may be slight upconversion from the liteon to the tv after the fact.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote