VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    G'day all.

A neighbour gave me a Dell Dimension E520 IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor 519K
    (1M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 533 MHz FSB), 1GB ram, no HDD, 300W PSU, E210882 Motherboard.

My question is: Is it worth to update? I know non Dell parts are not compatible with Dell PCs. I like the box but the front panel has a ribbon interface from the MB.

What do I do with it? Do I throw throw it away?

Any reply is appreciated.

Thanks Guys

John
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Chuck it,it's way too old to use for anything else but email and browsing at the best if there's no other issues.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A core2duo wil run circles around it but it could become an xp box for legacy hardware or software. It won't be energy efficient, so as a server or nas it would cost a bit in electricity and be unreliable due to its age. You could find dell parts on ebay to upgrade the ram if you decide to keep it, the part numbers are on dell's website (enter the service tag). You could also ask dell for the recovery discs if you don't have them. It could be a test rig if you want to have a computer you can thrash without remorse. The processor was launched in 2004, aka eons ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your answers.

I was having the same thoughts. It is too old. I'll keep the DVD drives and fans. You never know when you are going to need a spare fan. The PSU I can use to connect and test, scan, or extract data from external drives.

Thanks again

Kind Regards

John
    Quote Quote